Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How long can a magazine be at the ready?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • winnre
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2010
    • 9214

    How long can a magazine be at the ready?

    Take a magazine. 30 round 5.56mm, 8 round .45, whatever you got. Now load it full. Now put it away.

    Now come back in ten years, or twenty. Assuming the mag has been kept clean and dry and had no rust, etc, what are the odds that it will function perfectly, assuming it was perfect to begin with? How long does it take the springs to get horked up? Are expensive mags better at this than cheapie ones? can you store them fully loaded for one year or two with no issues? At what point would you not be comfortable doing this? Have any of you stored ammo this way for any length of time?
    "If Jesus had a gun he would be alive today"-Homer Simpson
  • #2
    sammy
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 3847

    I would bet it would not run reliably if it sat for longer than 10 years.

    A while back I tried the same kind of experiment. I loaded a brand new Wilson 47D mag with 8 rounds. After 5 years I took it apart and it was compressed by about 40%. Keep in mind I never cycled a single round. When I took the mag to the range it ran fairly well. A few FTF's in 100 rounds. After I replaced the spring it ran great.

    Comment

    • #3
      paul0660
      In Memoriam
      • Jul 2007
      • 15669

      Some people say a compresses spring does not wear at all, and it is cycling that wears them out.

      Doesn't make sense to me.
      *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

      Comment

      • #4
        MIAMIbaseballer
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2012
        • 791

        I've had my G21 mags loaded since day 1 (8 years ago) and I have no problems with them...
        It's ok to be jealous. We understand your animosity. We live the life you wish you had. And of over 4000 universities and over 1700 division 1 schools, only one is simply known as "The U"

        Comment

        • #5
          repubconserv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2010
          • 3056

          cycling wears out springs.

          So compressed? forever assuming good conditions.

          Comment

          • #6
            Montu
            Senior Member
            • May 2011
            • 1589

            Originally posted by paul0660
            Some people say a compresses spring does not wear at all, and it is cycling that wears them out.

            Doesn't make sense to me.
            will the springs on a car wear out if the car just sits in the garage?

            *as long as you don't over compress the springs there should not be any fatigue
            Last edited by Montu; 06-26-2012, 4:01 PM.
            K.F.K|Μολὼν λαβέ

            Comment

            • #7
              Citadelgrad87
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Mar 2007
              • 16978

              I read an article in the 1990s about this, the author found some GI .45 magazines which he decided were his fathers, from WWII, in a footlocker in the attic, IIRC. They were wrapped in oil cloth.

              He fired something like 4-6 magazines worth without incident.

              One thing to keep aware of is that the powder can degrade, I would not trust powder that is 10 years old for self defense purposes.
              Originally posted by tony270
              It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
              Originally posted by repubconserv
              Print it out and frame it for all I care
              Originally posted by el chivo
              I don't need to think at all..
              Originally posted by pjsig
              You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                winnre
                Calguns Addict
                • Apr 2010
                • 9214

                In my early Army days as an MP we carried 7 round mags in our 45s but only loaded 5 rounds in order to not compress the springs too much. Logical?

                Good point about the age of the bullets though, when they get to be 5 years old I will have a really fun time shooting thousands of 556 rounds!
                "If Jesus had a gun he would be alive today"-Homer Simpson

                Comment

                • #9
                  Det
                  Junior Member
                  • Jan 2012
                  • 98

                  Originally posted by paul0660
                  Some people say a compresses spring does not wear at all, and it is cycling that wears them out.

                  Doesn't make sense to me.
                  ^This^ The energy is stored in the spring when compressed and released when extended. Every single time the spring is compressed and extended, its effective life is reduced. So it's not the compression alone, It's the compression and extension.

                  Think of a car in the driveway. Parked, the springs might last 10 yrs. Drive it 100,000 miles and in two years they need replacing.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mike_the_wino
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 2871

                    I had a Berretta 92FS 2/3 full sitting for about 2 years. When I unloaded it as a pre-range function check, manually at home, the spring was weak. Pulled it out of service. Reminds me, I need to order springs...

                    Keep in mind that magazine is almost 20 years old and had seen some use early on in it's life.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      winnre
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 9214

                      Can you take out the springs, stretch them, and all is well again?
                      "If Jesus had a gun he would be alive today"-Homer Simpson

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        RazzB7
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2011
                        • 3419

                        If you can stretch it, it's not a spring anymore.
                        Originally posted by Conan the Barbarian
                        Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing
                        Originally posted by MrsRazz
                        I don't wish to be known as a set of tits behind a gun.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          BruinGuy
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • 1456

                          Last year my mother-in-law found an Astra 300 that belonged to her father in an old handbag in a closet in her house. He passed in 1982. She brought it to me to examine, where I found the single-stack .32 ACP magazine full in the gun and two additional full magazines.

                          I stripped and oiled the gun (it was in nearly perfect shape - only the slightest oxidation on it, so that's not bad for being left in a handbag in a closet for over 30 years) and shot multiple mags without a single failure from that magazine. The ammo worked fine, too (it was Remington fmj, from the looks of it probably purchased in the 60s or early 70s).

                          I've personally kept the OEM magazine for my Hi-Power filled at all times, and use it every time I shoot the pistol, and it still functions flawlessly. I've owned that pistol since 1993.

                          Yes, this is anecdotal, but if that inexpensive single stack mag from a 50s-vintage Spanish pistol can still function fine, I think most modern magazines would too even after years of compression.

                          Cartridges should also last a lot longer than 10 years and still function reliably, unless they are exposed to extremes in temperature or liquids or other substances that would affect them adversely. Just keep it stored in a dry place.
                          Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                          Keep in mind that you don't have a clue.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Steve1968LS2
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Feb 2010
                            • 9275

                            Constant tension doesn't kill a spring and more than being contantly relaxed does.. compressing and relaxing repeatedly does.

                            So, leave it empty, or leave it loaded.. either way will be the same.
                            Originally posted by tony270
                            It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
                            Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              xpbprox
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 936

                              Originally posted by repubconserv
                              cycling wears out springs.

                              So compressed? forever assuming good conditions.
                              Cycling and compression both wear it out, so no, not forever

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1