Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Interesting Moment at Burro Canyon

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • george223
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 1212

    Interesting Moment at Burro Canyon

    Spent the day at Burro Canyon yesterday with some friends. Whenever we go to BC, we usually spend the day at the rifle range but since it has been quite awhile since any of us had fired our handguns, we dedicated the day to the pistol range. While shooting and having a good time, one of my friends said cease fire. There was this deer walking across the ridge of the berm downrange all the way from the left to the right. The deer was tip-toeing all the way looking right at us taking its sweet time as if it was saying "what are you looking at MF'r". Finally, when it made it to the right side of the range, it hoofed it up to the next range. We had a good laugh over that one.

    One thing that I learned yesterday, what little skill I had with my handguns has diminished. I really sucked but it was still fun watching dirt fly. I built 3 target stands out of wood for the 4 of us and every target stand has been wounded. On the positive side, the leg that I shot out on my target stand will be easy to repair. Oh well.
  • #2
    buttfish
    Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 497

    Had something like that happen while in Army basic training; Claymore training, DIs set up weapon for demonstration, we called the count down, I scanned the right side tree line and a huge buck popped out, and 2, 1, BOOM the deer was BLASTED back into the treeline. It wasn't a pretty sight.

    Comment

    • #3
      jyo
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2008
      • 5320

      I always keep a roll of duct tape in my car trunk just in case some repairs are needed---like say, a wounded target stand...

      Comment

      • #4
        jarhead714
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2012
        • 9657

        That means so few people are going up there as of late the deer know it’s cool to pass on through. BTW, when rain is falling is when you want to be at Burro. They let you shoot green tips and damn near anything else when it’s actually raining. You will very often be the ONLY person there and can call your own breaks.😉

        Comment

        • #5
          beerman
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2009
          • 5200

          Decades ago I was shooting at the old fish canyon range (SGV gun club) and noticed a guy aiming his rifle at about a 70 degree angle. So I looked up where he was aiming and noticed a deer near the top of the mountain. This idiot was trying to shoot at it with a 10-22. I ratted him to the range master who booted him.

          Comment

          • #6
            Mssr. Eleganté
            Blue Blaze Irregular
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Oct 2005
            • 10401

            Deer or turkeys used to slowly walk across the rifle range at Chabot on about 20% of my trips there. The deer would sometimes just stop in the middle and hang out. The range master would chase them off with those firecracker shotgun rounds out of his 12 gauge.
            __________________

            "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

            Comment

            • #7
              Lucky Scott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 2610

              I’ve seen it happen at West End main range. Range master called a cease fire and we watched a couple deer walk by

              Comment

              • #8
                george223
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2011
                • 1212

                Originally posted by beerman
                Decades ago I was shooting at the old fish canyon range (SGV gun club) and noticed a guy aiming his rifle at about a 70 degree angle. So I looked up where he was aiming and noticed a deer near the top of the mountain. This idiot was trying to shoot at it with a 10-22. I ratted him to the range master who booted him.
                I was there one time setting up my target and there was this rabbit near the base of my target stand with its head blown off. I don't know what goes through the head of some people who think that this is ok.

                Comment

                • #9
                  recpark99
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 961

                  Had a few deer pop up at Los Altos Rod and Gun Club during live fire. Rangemaster called a cease fire and chased them off.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Citadelgrad87
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 16978

                    I was sighting in an HK SR9TC there many years ago and suddenly I could not see the target, just brown. A suicidal deer stepped right in front of my target. I was focusing on the scope so I did not see it approach.

                    They chased it away with a bullhorn.
                    Originally posted by tony270
                    It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
                    Originally posted by repubconserv
                    Print it out and frame it for all I care
                    Originally posted by el chivo
                    I don't need to think at all..
                    Originally posted by pjsig
                    You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ORNGXTC
                      Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 130

                      I was at Camp Perry in July for a small bore 50 meter match. During the match they called a cease fire during one of the relays do to a bird of prey. Gophers pop up and the hawks or other birds dive down on them. They constantly have someone scanning down range for this reason. They call a cease fire and send someone out in a UTV to flush the bird out. This is all on a range with 70 lanes.
                      Attached Files
                      RIP ABBY. You were the finest hunting dog a owner could want.sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ShredLA
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2015
                        • 687

                        Good ol' burro canyon.. I've seen a fair share of deer and coyotes walk across the rifle range, the RSO is usually reading his book but is quick to call for a cease fire

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          PoorRichRichard
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • 3309

                          I was having fun blasting away with my G19 up at Arrowhead Fish and Game club a few years ago. I set it down on the bench, and about 30 seconds later four does and a fawn decided to trot nonchalantly across the range at about the 75 yard line.

                          Deer are so stupid- outside of hunting season…
                          1A - 2A = -1A
                          Originally posted by Wherryj
                          If I had a nickel for every gender that exists...
                          ...I'd have $0.10.
                          Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
                          --- Dan Bongino
                          Originally posted by EM2
                          Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
                          Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            PoorRichRichard
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2012
                            • 3309

                            Originally posted by george223

                            I was there one time setting up my target and there was this rabbit near the base of my target stand with its head blown off. I don't know what goes through the head of some people who think that this is ok.
                            Well if it were me, you’d have never known what I was thinking because you would not have seen the rabbit.

                            I still would have blown its head off, and then I’d be thinking “LUNCH!”😁
                            1A - 2A = -1A
                            Originally posted by Wherryj
                            If I had a nickel for every gender that exists...
                            ...I'd have $0.10.
                            Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
                            --- Dan Bongino
                            Originally posted by EM2
                            Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
                            Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              70runner
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2013
                              • 837

                              No deer but local range gets the occasional coyote visit. Seems odd they visit during active range periods.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1