Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

bolt vrs simi auto, what do you like better ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NOTABIKER
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2012
    • 7635

    bolt vrs simi auto, what do you like better ?

    i like bolt action , it is like driving a stick shift. cleaning a bolt rifle is a snap. also i do not waste as much ammo. i am sure a simi auto would help in hunting[ fast 2nd shot]. you can bore sight a new bolt action at home without a lazer .
  • #2
    voiceofreason
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 3785

    If it's not being used to provide cover fire, I personally prefer bolt over semi.

    I believe semi is far more useful unless you're using a bolt action rifle as a dedicated sniper... but even then, there are VERY accurate semis.

    You just usually get more accuracy for less money with a bolt action.

    That said, I prefer to practice precision shooting with a bolt action.

    There is a difference between a carbine and a battlefield rifle.

    Ultimately, it depends on what you're using it for.

    Hunting with a semi is easier than with a bolt action, especially when they shoot back.
    "You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
    John Quincy Adams

    "You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
    voiceofreason

    Comment

    • #3
      xoutxkastx
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2012
      • 632

      I like my semi auto for shooting out to 100 yards maybe 200. I using my bolt for precision shooting and farthest I've gone is 600 yards (still a newb). Another thing I like about the bolt is it slows you down when shooting. Makes ammo last longer

      Comment

      • #4
        Mr. Gillious
        Banned
        • Nov 2011
        • 1549

        i like my mosin nagants because they're cheap, pretty accurate at 50 yards and the ammo is cheap if you get surplus.

        i like my ak cause ... it's an ak

        Comment

        • #5
          alfred1222
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2010
          • 7331

          For me it depends on how I feel that day. I have a REPR that is awesome to shoot, but I love my bolt gun as well
          Originally posted by Kestryll
          This guy is a complete and total idiot.
          /thread.

          ΦΑ

          Comment

          • #6
            762cavalier
            NRA Training Counselor
            CGN Contributor
            • Oct 2005
            • 3626

            Does a Trunk Monkey use a simi auto?

            It doesn't matter to me, as it depends on what I am doing with it, but for hunting I prefer a good old lever gun.
            Last edited by 762cavalier; 05-10-2012, 2:28 PM. Reason: poor grammar :P
            In any type of fight, & especially gun fights, there are no winners ..... just varying degrees of losers. The only fight you win is the one you never get into.

            sigpic
            NRA Certified Instructor
            Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor

            Comment

            • #7
              fighterpilot562
              I’m Ugly and I’m Proud
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Mar 2012
              • 47071

              I like bolt, pulling the bolt back to get rid of casing and putting your new one is, is well cool haha

              Comment

              • #8
                Black Majik
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2005
                • 9695

                Bolt, I don't like chasing my brass everywhere.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Capybara
                  CGSSA Coordinator
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 15658

                  I like 'em both, it just depends on what type of shooting you are doing. Semi-autos do make you burn more ammo, it is too easy to pull that trigger ;-)

                  I find shooting the bolt action at long ranges to be pretty relaxing where as plinking at 100 yards with the AR is fun but it is kind of hyper. I find shooting a tight group at 300 yards with my scoped varmint rifle more gratifying at the end of the day, but I love shooting my AR as well.
                  NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    terr0rt0telc0
                    Junior Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 43

                    Both why do you make me choose nnnoooooo. I do feel more connected though and what not with bolt.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Sheepdog1968
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 1903

                      My lever and bolt actions go out to the range much more often than the semi autos do.
                      RIP Louis Awerbuck. I miss you and your training.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mud99
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 1075

                        Lever, lever, lever

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          CDFingers
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2008
                          • 1852

                          I also prefer bolt actions, but I have one lever gun, a Winchester.

                          Semi's are OK, and they're fun as heck. If I had unlimited money for ammo, I would probably get a Ruger mini 14 or a 10-22. Bolt actions prevent me from using up all my ammo in a single range trip. I only have ten extra bullets...

                          CDFingers

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            scidx
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 1160

                            Originally posted by NOTABIKER
                            i am sure a simi auto would help in hunting[ fast 2nd shot].
                            If I miss on my first shot while the game is standing still, I probably wouldn't attempt a pop-shot at a running target.

                            I've had to take a second shot due to poor shot placement on my part. I had sufficient time to work the bolt on my rifle and place the next where the first should have gone.

                            YMMV


                            "Never go through a door without a full magazine in your weapon." --Capt. Eric A. Sykes--

                            "(experts), of course, have long recognized the .45 as possessing killing power completely out of proportion to the scientific reality of its cross-sectional area, sectional density and available kinetic energy." --G&S online--

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Beetle Bailey
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2004
                              • 2620

                              I prefer bolt actions. You get more precision for your money. Also, if you are hunting, you can get lighter hunting rifles in a bolt action versus a semi-auto.
                              "All bad precedents began as justifiable measures." Julius Caesar

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1