Just got an upper from a local gun show .. it came with the free floating quad rail... I however prefer the look and feel of the magpul handguard... what would it take for me to swap them?
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
AR hand-guard question
Collapse
X
-
Pictures?
If its a free float, most likely it has its own barrel nut. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Magpul handguards will work with anything other then the A2 delta ring/nut setup. It should also require a Front Sight Base as well since its sandwhich-ed in, and not hanging off the barrel nut like your Free Float setup. So you'll have the get one installed instead of the "assuming of course" a low profile gas block.
They say a free float setup helps accuracy since it doesn't touch the barrel at all. So Colt-45 is right, its a step backwards.
Hope it helps.Last edited by Jwind; 05-04-2012, 3:15 AM. Reason: Typed on a smartphone, corrected grammer and added more details. -
^^ Yes, we need pics.
Going from a free floating quadrail to a Magpul handguard would be a step backwards. If it's just for looks, you might want to purchase a simple G.I. type upper instead of taking off a free floating quadrail and installing a drop in handguard.Originally posted by FalconLairI weep for my country and what it is becoming.Comment
-
dang, you guys are right. Its going to cost me more money to essentially downgrade.. eventually I'll just buy a standard G.I upper.
thanks!
-Matt"Never was so much owed by so many to so few"-Winston Churchill
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" -Ronald ReaganComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,926
Posts: 25,153,317
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,753
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 23556 users online. 138 members and 23418 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment