Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What's the point of FFL?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SP1200
    Member
    • Oct 2007
    • 488

    What's the point of FFL?

    ok, I know...please don't flame me, but here's my question...

    I live in Reno and have bought all my firearms through a private party. But now I want to order a few receivers online and they all say FFL required. So if I can buy a rifle form a private party legally in NV, why cant I just have the receivers shipped to my door? Why do I need an FFL?

    No offence to FFL's here on the board, I'm sure you provide a service...I'm just wondering why I cant have some gun parts shipped to my door...
    Originally posted by Pvt. Cowboy
    At best, many vendors at the show typically see Californians as the drooling kid wearing a crash helmet riding in the back of the short bus- not least that you don't have any gun show money because your retarded steroid-shooting governor can't pay your state income tax refund because they spent it all on the illegal Mexicans who broke into your house while you're away at the gun show. To them, you're just a plain old sappy idiot, and probably a lib'rul who smokes salvia while driving.
  • #2
    hoffmang
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Apr 2006
    • 18448

    Federal law requires transactions between residents of two different states to be conducted through an FFL.

    -Gene
    Gene Hoffman
    Chairman, California Gun Rights Foundation

    DONATE NOW
    to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
    Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
    I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!


    "The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon

    Comment

    • #3
      Librarian
      Admin and Poltergeist
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Oct 2005
      • 44691

      And receivers are not just 'gun parts'. Typically, they carry the serial number so they are 'the firearm'.
      ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

      Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

      Comment

      • #4
        SP1200
        Member
        • Oct 2007
        • 488

        Right.

        Ok, so if I were to order a receiver from a CA supplier, then can it be shipped to my door? Or will they try to hustle me through a FFL?
        Originally posted by Pvt. Cowboy
        At best, many vendors at the show typically see Californians as the drooling kid wearing a crash helmet riding in the back of the short bus- not least that you don't have any gun show money because your retarded steroid-shooting governor can't pay your state income tax refund because they spent it all on the illegal Mexicans who broke into your house while you're away at the gun show. To them, you're just a plain old sappy idiot, and probably a lib'rul who smokes salvia while driving.

        Comment

        • #5
          ar15barrels
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 57182

          Originally posted by hoffmang
          Federal law requires transactions between residents of two different states to be conducted through an FFL.
          Very well said.
          No wasted words.
          Randall Rausch

          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57182

            Originally posted by SP1200
            so if I were to order a receiver from a CA supplier, then can it be shipped to my door?
            Or will they try to hustle me through a FFL?
            You said you live in Reno.
            That means the receiver would cross state lines.
            Federal laws apply across state lines.
            If you were to live in CA, then CA STATE LAW requires ALL firearms transfers to be handled through an FFL.
            There are exemptions like 50+ years old and inter-family transfers, but all new guns (or receivers) must transfer through a dealer.
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              Librarian
              Admin and Poltergeist
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Oct 2005
              • 44691

              Originally posted by SP1200
              Right.

              Ok, so if I were to order a receiver from a CA supplier, then can it be shipped to my door? Or will they try to hustle me through a FFL?
              AR15barrels has it right, but just to be specific:

              Federal law - 18 USC 922 (a)(3)
              licensed importer,
              licensed manufacturer,
              licensed dealer, or
              licensed collector
              to transport into or receive in the State where he resides
              (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business)
              any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State,
              - requires that only a licensed firearm dealer can receive a firearm from out of state.
              • If you order a thing the Feds think is a firearm from a California supplier, and you live in Reno, the thing you order MUST go to a Nevada FFL before it goes to you.


              C&R is different; if you have a C&R FFL, you actually are licensed to receive C&R weapons (but within California, C&R handguns still go through FFLs).
              ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

              Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

              Comment

              • #8
                SP1200
                Member
                • Oct 2007
                • 488

                wow thanks guys. that really sums it up. Yea I'm confused with the whole NV, and CA thing. I have a house in each state. So I'm assuming given that I'm a NV resident that I can have a NV supplier ship to my home in Reno and be FFL free...?
                Originally posted by Pvt. Cowboy
                At best, many vendors at the show typically see Californians as the drooling kid wearing a crash helmet riding in the back of the short bus- not least that you don't have any gun show money because your retarded steroid-shooting governor can't pay your state income tax refund because they spent it all on the illegal Mexicans who broke into your house while you're away at the gun show. To them, you're just a plain old sappy idiot, and probably a lib'rul who smokes salvia while driving.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57182

                  Originally posted by SP1200
                  I'm confused with the whole NV, and CA thing. I have a house in each state. So I'm assuming given that I'm a NV resident that I can have a NV supplier ship to my home in Reno and be FFL free...
                  Where do you pay your taxes?
                  I think you are only "resident" in ONE state even though you may "live" in both.

                  I don't know about NV laws, but I suspect that an FFL will STILL be involved to run your NICS background check.
                  It's usually only private party sales that are exempt.

                  What's your aversion to FFL's?
                  Got something to hide?
                  Last edited by ar15barrels; 12-28-2007, 12:06 AM.
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    hoffmang
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 18448

                    As long as you do actually live in both places for a real period of time, and especially if you split your taxes between states, you can be a resident of whichever state is most useful to you.

                    See http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b12

                    -Gene
                    Gene Hoffman
                    Chairman, California Gun Rights Foundation

                    DONATE NOW
                    to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
                    Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
                    I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!


                    "The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      4D5auto
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 706

                      Originally posted by SP1200
                      wow thanks guys. that really sums it up. Yea I'm confused with the whole NV, and CA thing. I have a house in each state. So I'm assuming given that I'm a NV resident that I can have a NV supplier ship to my home in Reno and be FFL free...?
                      Just remember, CA has the Plague!

                      No, a NV FFL Dealer can not ship to a non FFL holder . So, if you are Joe citizen without an FFL, they will not ship to your home, all firearms transactions thru- a dealer will be recorded. A NV supplier can ship to anyone in the US that holds a valid, current FFL.
                      NRA Life Member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Mssr. Eleganté
                        Blue Blaze Irregular
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 10401

                        Originally posted by SP1200
                        So I'm assuming given that I'm a NV resident that I can have a NV supplier ship to my home in Reno and be FFL free...?
                        Federal law also says that anybody in "the business" of selling firearms has to have a Federal Firearms Licenses. So even a Nevada "supplier" selling firearms to other Nevada residents on a regular basis is going to have to have and FFL.

                        Why can the Feds require a Federal license for transactions within the State of Nevada? Because the firearms are most likely manufactured in another State. And even if the firearms were manufactured in Nevada, sold in Nevada and used in Nevada, the Feds would still be able to regulate the sales since the items have "the potential" to be traded in interstate commerce or they have an effect on interstate commerce in some way. (yes that is BS, but you can thank FDR for that).

                        An FFL in your State does have a legal way to ship firearms directly to your house. It was a method included in the 1968 Gun Control Act for people who live in remote areas and don't have easy acces to gun shops. But it involves you sending paperwork to the FFL and then the FFL sending paperwork to your Chief of Police and then waiting a couple of weeks for the okay before the FFL can ship the guns to your door. Most FFL's are probably not familiar with the process unless they are located in Alaska.
                        __________________

                        "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          radioactivelego
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • 659

                          Originally posted by ar15barrels
                          What's your aversion to FFL's?
                          Got something to hide?
                          I've known many sheltered gun enthusiasts that have just been buying handguns or rifles from friends. Never stepped foot in a gun store except for ammo. As soon as I start to explain "Internet" guns or assault weapons law they give me the amazingly confusing look and give a quick glance at their 40's-60's guns or firearms they acquired back in the cash-and-carry days.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SP1200
                            Member
                            • Oct 2007
                            • 488

                            Originally posted by ar15barrels
                            Where do you pay your taxes?
                            I think you are only "resident" in ONE state even though you may "live" in both.

                            I don't know about NV laws, but I suspect that an FFL will STILL be involved to run your NICS background check.
                            It's usually only private party sales that are exempt.

                            What's your aversion to FFL's?
                            Got something to hide?
                            ohh lol. no I have nothing to hide. I've never been arrested, only sited for speeding..lol..I just don't want to pay a guy to do nothing for me you know. I was wanting to order a few inexpensive receivers with some cash I have saved up, and wanting to get the most out of my cash. say if I have $300 saved up, and I find 3 receivers for 100 each...taxes alone is going to break me enough...why should I have to pay a guy on top of that to do absolutely nothing for me besides hand me my receiver... in other words, why pay if I have to?

                            What you said about NICS makes sense. I see why I would have to use a FFL, because of the ex-fellion laws in NV and sort.

                            ...as far as taxes. I pay both state taxes, and federial. I work for a company out of NV..but I visit CA for months at a time when I'm off...I have DL's in both states because their is actually a law saying if you are visiting or residing in eaither CA or NV for more than 10 days at a given time you have to become a resident and get a valid DL for that state. so as far as I know I'm just fallowing the law...??
                            Last edited by SP1200; 12-29-2007, 2:02 AM.
                            Originally posted by Pvt. Cowboy
                            At best, many vendors at the show typically see Californians as the drooling kid wearing a crash helmet riding in the back of the short bus- not least that you don't have any gun show money because your retarded steroid-shooting governor can't pay your state income tax refund because they spent it all on the illegal Mexicans who broke into your house while you're away at the gun show. To them, you're just a plain old sappy idiot, and probably a lib'rul who smokes salvia while driving.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SP1200
                              Member
                              • Oct 2007
                              • 488

                              Originally posted by radioactivelego
                              I've known many sheltered gun enthusiasts that have just been buying handguns or rifles from friends. Never stepped foot in a gun store except for ammo. As soon as I start to explain "Internet" guns or assault weapons law they give me the amazingly confusing look and give a quick glance at their 40's-60's guns or firearms they acquired back in the cash-and-carry days.
                              ^^ Yep thats me... I only go in to gun stores to look, then go to the gun shows to buy private. I don't see a reason to pay more..
                              Originally posted by Pvt. Cowboy
                              At best, many vendors at the show typically see Californians as the drooling kid wearing a crash helmet riding in the back of the short bus- not least that you don't have any gun show money because your retarded steroid-shooting governor can't pay your state income tax refund because they spent it all on the illegal Mexicans who broke into your house while you're away at the gun show. To them, you're just a plain old sappy idiot, and probably a lib'rul who smokes salvia while driving.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1