Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

why no steel plates even at 100m?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • high_revs
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2006
    • 7877

    why no steel plates even at 100m?

    just wondering why some ranges here in bay area don't have steel plates. with some rain, i would go out if there was steel plates. at least something to shoot. last i tried in heavy mist, non of my shoot and c would stick obvioulsy and trying to put new targets each time was a pita.

    is there a 'safety' issue not having steel plates @ 100m? metcalf has one.

    suggestion email sent to the range i frequent but wondering if y'all had any feedback/info why ranges would avoid steel plates at that distance (won't ricochet back to bench hopefully).
  • #2
    Merc1138
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19742

    1. Take a staple gun
    2. Sunnyvale has steel targets at 100 yards on the rifle range
    3. Messed up wooden target stands are possibly cheaper to replace
    4. Depending on the setup(sunnyvale would be an example that doesn't take extra space) it can eat up range space that would be otherwise used for people who want to shoot paper and actually see the groups

    Comment

    • #3
      Fjold
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Oct 2005
      • 23065

      Many ranges don't want to pay for replacing the steel plates all the time.
      Frank

      One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




      Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

      Comment

      • #4
        monkeylice
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2012
        • 635

        Here in Southern California steel plates are banned because of a few reasons that I have heard. Fire hazards, waste, and liability due to folks not wearing eye protection among them.
        postcount++

        Comment

        • #5
          Juice5610
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2009
          • 1558

          Originally posted by monkeylice
          Here in Southern California steel plates are banned because of a few reasons that I have heard. Fire hazards, waste, and liability due to folks not wearing eye protection among them.
          Come again?

          Comment

          • #6
            Javi
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2010
            • 4540

            Buy your own and go out to BLM land I had a lot of fun with mine:

            Originally posted by d4v0s
            My girlfriend and i used froglube last night in a pinch and it works great.
            R.I.P. Thomas C.

            Comment

            • #7
              760knox
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2010
              • 1395

              Originally posted by monkeylice
              Here in Southern California steel plates are banned because of a few reasons that I have heard. Fire hazards, waste, and liability due to folks not wearing eye protection among them.
              Originally posted by Juice5610
              Come again?
              That's what I said, Angeles has:http://www.angelesranges.com/layout.pdf
              YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSS...ms0ymGBQt_Jtdw

              Comment

              • #8
                pipboy
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2009
                • 664

                Re steel in the bay area,

                For rifle: Sunnyvale has steel targets @ 100 yards.

                For pistol: San Leandro has steel shoots every Saturday night.

                Comment

                • #9
                  g_conway
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 572

                  I shoot at a range in san diego, they have pistol / shotgun steels as close as 15 yards.

                  Rifle steels start at 75 yards out to 200.

                  A specific RANGE may not allow them, but they are NOT banned in CA.
                  G_Conway
                  ______________________________________________

                  Smith and Wesson... The original Point and Click interface.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    monkeylice
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • 635

                    Originally posted by Juice5610
                    Come again?
                    Originally posted by 760knox
                    That's what I said, Angeles has:http://www.angelesranges.com/layout.pdf
                    Originally posted by g_conway
                    A specific RANGE may not allow them, but they are NOT banned in CA.
                    Yeah... I'm not saying it's banned in california, I am referring to the reasons given why it's banned at certain ranges. Come on guys it's not that much of a logical leap.
                    postcount++

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Agent 0range
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • 1040

                      Originally posted by g_conway
                      I shoot at a range in san diego, they have pistol / shotgun steels as close as 15 yards.

                      Rifle steels start at 75 yards out to 200.

                      A specific RANGE may not allow them, but they are NOT banned in CA.
                      Do you mind if I ask what range? I've been looking for a range over 100 yards (I use P2K for 100) to shoot my rifle, but didn't think there was one here in SD.
                      Originally posted by Mezcalfud
                      Because a Glock looks great in the case and then when you take it home it feels like you're holding a Costco pack of Kielbasa.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        TheBest
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 1114

                        Originally posted by monkeylice
                        Here in Southern California steel plates are banned because of a few reasons that I have heard. Fire hazards, waste, and liability due to folks not wearing eye protection among them.
                        I think this is what is causing concern. Who is shooting with people downrange?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          g_conway
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2011
                          • 572

                          Originally posted by Agent 0range
                          Do you mind if I ask what range? I've been looking for a range over 100 yards (I use P2K for 100) to shoot my rifle, but didn't think there was one here in SD.
                          Lemon Grove Rod and Gun Club ( it's in Alpine not Lemon grove)

                          It's a members club but has shooting events open to the public.

                          here is a link to the web site.

                          PM me if you have any questions.

                          G_Conway
                          ______________________________________________

                          Smith and Wesson... The original Point and Click interface.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Mr310
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 5692

                            Originally posted by monkeylice
                            Yeah... I'm not saying it's banned in california, I am referring to the reasons given why it's banned at certain ranges. Come on guys it's not that much of a logical leap.
                            It is a logical leap when you say:

                            Originally posted by monkeylice
                            Here in Southern California steel plates are banned because of a few reasons that I have heard. Fire hazards, waste, and liability due to folks not wearing eye protection among them.
                            instead of:

                            Here at some ranges in Southern California...
                            WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              monkeylice
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2012
                              • 635

                              Why would I even have to specify when steel plates aren't banned by the state and we all know they aren't?
                              postcount++

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1