Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

IDPA questions...holster, gun, etc.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kdm
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2008
    • 611

    IDPA questions...holster, gun, etc.

    Starting IDPA soon...will be taking the safety clinic in May at Sac Valley. Trying to choose between my Beretta M9 and Colt 1991...should the choice be based on which I'm more accurate with, or is there an advantage to be had with one over the other? Can you recommend an appropriate holster for either / both?
  • #2
    9mmepiphany
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2008
    • 8075

    The Beretta would put you into SSP (production/stock) class where most folks will be shooting 9mm guns loaded to 10 rounds in their magazines

    The 1911 would put you in CDP where you'll be shooting against other folks shooting .45ACP chambered pistols loaded to 8 rounds in their magazines.

    If you've had custom work done on your gun, you might fall into ESP (Enhanced)...which is the catch all for folks who like to mod their SA guns.

    I believe that accuracy should be your primary concern in making that choice. You'll have a lot of things to think about running the COF, you shouldn't have to worry about the accuracy of your gun.

    A lot of folks starting out get the economically priced Fobus Paddle holster. A nice holster for IDPA are ones from Blade-Tech
    ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

    Comment

    • #3
      HighLander51
      Banned
      • Feb 2010
      • 5144

      Your best bet is the BladeTech, and a Fobus double mag pouch, plus a Wilderness Tactical Belt. If you have any money left over, get the Peltor Tac 6 electric ears. That's all the equipment you need to start and it will last for decades.

      Comment

      • #4
        aermotor
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Apr 2009
        • 2566

        I would not get a Fobus holster, pain in the arse, sticky draw, causes problems for me and my friends who have them (although their mag holsters are fine).

        I'd get something Kydex like Uncle Mike's which can be found for dirty cheap and are really great holsters or a nice leather one if you're going with a 1911. I'd also get a pair of the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs.

        For what it's worth, I have never seen someone shooting a Beretta. I would go with your 1911.

        Comment

        • #5
          BKinzey
          OT Banned
          CGN Contributor
          • May 2009
          • 4390

          Kydex is definitely the holster to get. Blade-Tech is an excellent brand. I used a Kytac brand for IDPA. Check on the IDPA web site for the list of approved holsters.

          The belt is important. As mentioned Wilderness is excellent. 1.5" to 2" stiff belt. I used a nylon with a stiffener sewn in it, works well and was made to carry a handgun.

          In IDPA there is a physical difference in shooting steel knockdown targets between 9mm and .45. I started out using a 9mm 226 and while the "extra" rounds in the mag was nice I found with steel knockdown targets I had to have a solid hit or occasionally the steel wouldn't drop . When I changed to a .45 1911 that pretty much went away but recoil is greater. There were a few people who compromised by having a 1911 built in .40

          I really enjoyed IDPA and I'll offer advice from Wyatt Earp: "Take your time in a hurry." Oh, and another favorite phrase: "You can't miss fast enough to win."
          Last edited by BKinzey; 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM.
          Rogue American, Media Mercenary.
          "A firearm is just a tool. Any tool can be used as a weapon, but the most powerful weapons were written."

          Comment

          • #6
            HighLander51
            Banned
            • Feb 2010
            • 5144

            For what it's worth, I have never seen someone shooting a Beretta. I would go with your 1911.[/QUOTE]

            You don't see as many as you used to in the beginning of IDPA, but a newbie is still better off to start with a double action wide body gun shooting minor floor than a 1911. And like in USPSA, about half the guns are Glocks and the other half are 1911's.

            Ben Stoeger does very well with a Beretta.

            Ben Stoeger is an IPSC World Champion and multiple time USPSA National Champion. He travels all over the United States and the world shooting matches and teaching classes. Here you will find Live-Fire, and Dry-Fire Drills along with Ben's class schedule and more.

            Comment

            • #7
              BoJackUSMC
              Calguns Addict
              • Aug 2010
              • 7091

              This is my set up right as of right now for my SA 1911 9mm:




              I am planning to use it for IDPA and tactical practice shooting when I go out to BLM.

              Comment

              • #8
                aermotor
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                • Apr 2009
                • 2566

                Bladetech's are great I guess, but the price is just unjustified. Unkle Mike's Kydex for $22 to my door off Amazon Prime. Cannot beat it.

                IDPA no longer maintains an "Approved Holsters" list.

                IDPA-approved holsters will be strong-side hip holsters or inside-the waistband holsters which cover the trigger guard and which have no cut-aways, drop, or offset, except that a limited amount of drop and offset is allowed for women. Holsters must be practical for all-day concealed-carry use. In a nutshell, IDPA requires "working" holsters, not competition holsters.
                Re: Beretta vs. 1911 — Shoot what you're comfortable width. Double action vs. Single Actions matters not. Shoot what you like shooting. I can guarantee you'll enjoy the 1911 more though I think.

                Comment

                • #9
                  kdm
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • 611

                  Thanks, guys...I'll investigate your comments and suggestions.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    sactobill
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2009
                    • 627

                    I signed up for the April 7th clinic. Will be my first time shooting IDPA and will be using my S&W 686. Any other newbies attending this class?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      negolien
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 4829

                      IMO the Safariland 568 paddle is a fine choice..http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=568

                      and for mags the
                      "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

                      George Orwell

                      http://www.AnySoldier.com

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        HighLander51
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 5144

                        Originally posted by BKinzey
                        In IDPA there is a physical difference in shooting steel knockdown targets between 9mm and .45. I started out using a 9mm 226 and while the "extra" rounds in the mag was nice I found with steel knockdown targets I had to have a solid hit or occasionally the steel wouldn't drop . When I changed to a .45 1911 that pretty much went away but recoil is greater.
                        All steel has to be calibrated to the minimum power floor, in IDPA it was lowered from 125 to 105 in Jan 2011 to accommodate SSR division. That will almost go over with a .22LR. If you are not knocking down steel with a 9mm, it's either a low hit or the steel is not calibrated.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Turbinator
                          Administrator
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 11960

                          Originally posted by HighLander51
                          All steel has to be calibrated to the minimum power floor, in IDPA it was lowered from 125 to 105 in Jan 2011 to accommodate SSR division. That will almost go over with a .22LR. If you are not knocking down steel with a 9mm, it's either a low hit or the steel is not calibrated.
                          Yup. I've done IDPA before and did just fine with 9mm on the steel.

                          Turby

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            schneiderguy
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 569

                            Originally posted by aermotor
                            Bladetech's are great I guess, but the price is just unjustified. Unkle Mike's Kydex for $22 to my door off Amazon Prime. Cannot beat it.
                            I'd rather buy a high quality holster that isn't made in China for $70 than a cheapo one for $22.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              VictorFranko
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2010
                              • 13737

                              +1 on a Wilderness belt
                              +1 on BladeTech Kydex holster (the Bobby McGee set will get you a double mag holster also)
                              +1 on the Beretta not being the weapon of choice for IDPA.

                              As far as a .22 knocking down steel poppers, surely not anywhere I have shot IDPA

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1