Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Age to start shooting closely supervised.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    medicdude
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 1034

    I'm planning on four. My daughter will be born in May. Lol

    Comment

    • #17
      Toyman321
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 1620

      My daughter turned 3 in November, a couple of months ago we were at Target and she saw a Nerf gun and wanted it. It was a small pistol so we picked it up, I've been treating it no differently than a firearm and she has been doing very well with it. I setup targets and have been teaching her to always point it at the target, never at anyone (or the cat), trigger discipline, etc etc.... I think she will be ready to move up to BB guns while extremely supervised by 4.

      I think it really comes down to the kid, every parent needs to make a honest assessment of their child's maturity level and ability to listen and follow direction.

      Comment

      • #18
        InGrAM
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 3699

        Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
        A good parent will know when their child or children are ready. Some are ready at 3 others are not mature enough at 50.
        ^ This. It all just depends on the child and your parenting. I was 3 or so when I shot my first gun. NTM, I was in the womb while many firearms where discharged. (I know bad mother ) lol. But that was a different time.

        But make sure you buy your kid their own gun early on. Gotta ingrain that GUNS ARE GREAT! and that GUNS=FUN at a early age.

        Comment

        • #19
          saki302
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2005
          • 7191

          My grandfather took me shooting when I was maybe 5 or 6, using his Anschutz heavy barreled .22. I couldn't pick it up off the bench, just move it a little, so he showed me how to load it and let me enjoy

          -Dave

          Comment

          • #20
            arc
            Member
            • Jun 2010
            • 204

            Oh man, I can't wait until my little girl is old enough to take shooting. She's two and a half now (prime whining and tantrum age) but hasn't shown the slightest interest in what Daddy's doing when I pack for the range or even noticed the Nerf guns. (someday i want to get her the pink Barbie Power Wheels Jeep and that Nerf Vulcan machine gun and build a technical for her and her best girl friend down the street, they can terrorize the neighborhood together)

            Every thing I've read on the subject says the right age varies by kid. When they're able to follow directions reliably and sit still when asked.

            She does love wearing the ear muffs though.

            -James

            Comment

            • #21
              odysseus
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Dec 2005
              • 10407

              There already is a good and long thread not long ago on this question. Do search through it.

              In summary, only you know your kid the best. Kids develop and mature in different ways at different times. There is no set rule. When you feel confident not to wonder too much if it ok and seek other opinions, probably then it is a good time.
              "Just leave me alone, I know what to do." - Kimi Raikkonen

              The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
              - John Adams

              http://www.usdebtclock.org/

              Comment

              • #22
                The Virus
                Banned
                • May 2011
                • 1135

                Maybe a air rifle would be more appropriate,

                Comment

                • #23
                  Rocket Man
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 513

                  Daddy Daughter shooting is the best. Started shooting with her at 4 because she could follow directions, her brothers at 8 because they wouldn't listen.

                  BLM land or private land is the best for teaching, never teach kids at a normal range unless they are older.

                  I love this pic with her & the family tacticool 10-22;
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  ------------------------------------------------------------
                  LTC for OTHER 35 States -check!
                  LTC for MY County/State.... grrrr

                  My High power Rocketry hobby;
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAigaiK0YBI
                  ------------------------------------------------------------

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    driveljay
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 529

                    I started at 7 shooting jack rabbits with my dad with a single shot .410. Hoping to start my son at around 4 with a .22. Hes only 2 now but already says "guns" when sees one and makes a shooting sound effect. As stated already its a case by case scenario.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      theduece
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 768

                      Originally posted by Divernhunter
                      The age does not really matter. What matters is the attitude, temperment and size/strengh. Also the same goes for the parent which some people forget is just as important.
                      This. We have a housefull of 4 kids. They all started shooting at different ages. One of them is actually asking to go try it now. We will be at angeles tomorrow morning, she is almost 12.5. Roughly 4 months ago I was going to show her,(she asked) starting with an air rifle. She was NOT ready. Also have a then 7yo boy who has been shooting for awhile. So it is on the kids, when they are ready, if they are willing to calmly listen, follow directions, and NOT make me a nervous wreck I show them. Albeit when I take them shooting YOU must understand, YOU are taking them. Meaning they shoot 20 minutes, you shoot for 2.....maybe. lol
                      ......

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        theduece
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 768

                        I got to say the whole nerf thing..... it isn't the same in my household. We have full blown nerf wars, complete with surprise attacks on the evil regime(mom)...full auto fire, snipers the works... They know and understand there is a difference between nerf and reallity. LMAO ok on occasion I to get lumped into the evil regime and have waltzed into an attack or two....I have yet to see them shoot the dog or some other nonsense. They will snipe the dog's squirrel...It is a stuffed animal.

                        Heck oldest son was into airsoft he/most of his friends also knew the difference with airsoft to nerf to real. They could shoot each other but not younger siblings older dad's. Toy's are toy"s and we treat them as such.
                        ......

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1