Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Do I need night sights? Auto vs. revolver debate inside

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • barbasol
    • Feb 2010
    • 954

    Do I need night sights? Auto vs. revolver debate inside

    If its pitch black I wouldn't be able to see the target, and the sights would overpower everything else. If I can see my target then there is probably enough light that I wouldn't be able to see my tritium sights right?

    My 7 shot revolver and my 7 shot auto loading pistol are competing for time next to me and my wife.

    Pistol advantage: rail for tlr-1.

    Recover advantage: never a malfunction

    The battle for my bedside safe begins?
    Free Loan Modification Review and Short Sale Info for any Calgunners in Socal. PM me for details
    15% commission rebate and 5% donation to Calguns Foundation for any closed home sale by a Calgunner or referral. PM for details*subject to lender approval
  • #2
    ckprax
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 1496

    Set a flash light next to the gun. Problem solved. I have never felt the need for night sights; i want to make dang sure of my target so I have a light.

    Either will serve you well as a hd weapon, are you more proficient with one?

    Comment

    • #3
      drkphibr
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 2462

      For a revolver, you won't get any FTF or FTE's, but that doesn't mean it won't malfunction. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled the trigger on a revolver and it went click, but no bang. Bad primer, light hammer strike, whatever. Just because it's a revolve doesn't guarantee 100% reliability.

      Pros and cons of both. In bear country, I'd opt for a revolver....a big one. At home, it comes down to personal preference. If you want a rail to mount goodies, kind of forces you down the pistol/semi path.

      Comment

      • #4
        CenterX
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 1721

        Place one on the left and one on the right side of the bed.
        Equip each with a laser sight and position a sturdy flashlight next to each.
        Pray they are never needed for anything more than psychological comfort.
        For each of you to be ready and able shall improve your survivability.
        May peace be with you.
        sigpic
        - Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW

        Comment

        • #5
          .45JHP
          Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 196

          For purely defensive reasons, you don't need night sights. You will want your target illuminated, and if you have some sort of method of illumination, you will be able to see your sights silhouetted against your target. You will want to verify 100% that a threat is valid before you shoot. Lining up dots on front and rear sights slows your reaction time. Youll find that with just a blank rear and single dot up front your time on target is greatly reduced.

          A laser isn't the best method of verifying what your target is- a flashlight is. Practice with a pistol mounted weapon light or a flashlight.
          Last edited by .45JHP; 02-11-2012, 11:49 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            barbasol
            • Feb 2010
            • 954

            I will not trust a laser solely. Not to mention it could give me away before i have a chance. I have a flashlight next to the bed already. The question now is can I get the flashlight into action with my revolver as fast as the auto loader and the tlr1.

            Really the answer doesn't matter as I already know. If the pistol was as reliable as my colt I'd get one with a rail. Otherwise my revolver goes bang more ofthen and I'll hand carry the light.
            Free Loan Modification Review and Short Sale Info for any Calgunners in Socal. PM me for details
            15% commission rebate and 5% donation to Calguns Foundation for any closed home sale by a Calgunner or referral. PM for details*subject to lender approval

            Comment

            • #7
              barbasol
              • Feb 2010
              • 954

              Drkphibr, please tell me how many times you've pulled the trigger on a revolver with no bang. I'm on one compared to around 30 with various semi auto loaders.
              Free Loan Modification Review and Short Sale Info for any Calgunners in Socal. PM me for details
              15% commission rebate and 5% donation to Calguns Foundation for any closed home sale by a Calgunner or referral. PM for details*subject to lender approval

              Comment

              • #8
                .45JHP
                Member
                • Mar 2011
                • 196

                Id go with a semi- the revolver may be a tad more reliable in terms of encountering malfunctions vs. a semi, but the overall benefit of having a weapon mounted light and being able to reload faster is worth the trade off. Just make sure you cycle through your HD ammo/magazines regularly to avoid any issues.

                Comment

                • #9
                  dolemite
                  Junior Member
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 86

                  Why not have the best of both worlds?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    sholling
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 10360

                    I have night sights on seven of my handguns and on two of my rifles. Just because you can see and identify your target doesn't mean you'll be able to see your sights clearly or gain a sight picture rapidly enough. That's all they're for - gaining a rapid sight picture in very low light. If my life is on the line I want every edge I can get.
                    "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                    Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Grumpyoldretiredcop
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2008
                      • 6437

                      I put night sights on pistols simply because flashlights are great examples of Murphy's Law. If I have a working light in hand, I prefer using it.

                      Can't help you with the revolver vs. auto question - I haven't kept a revolver at the bedside for years, once I had a semi-auto with a light rail.
                      I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Databyter
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 1100

                        Originally posted by barbasol
                        If its pitch black I wouldn't be able to see the target, and the sights would overpower everything else. If I can see my target then there is probably enough light that I wouldn't be able to see my tritium sights right?

                        My 7 shot revolver and my 7 shot auto loading pistol are competing for time next to me and my wife.

                        Pistol advantage: rail for tlr-1.

                        Recover advantage: never a malfunction

                        The battle for my bedside safe begins?
                        If it's pitch dark the trits will help you ensure that the gun is pointing where you are pointing it, if you get my meaning.

                        Unless you practice a lot or your gun is a natural pointer it is easy to pick up a gun and hold it up towards a percieved threat and be off by a mile from the gun even facing the right direction. That is where trits aid.

                        Also when your eyes are adjusted to darkness you can see objects AND the sights.

                        I actually have a laser and trits, and a mounted light on my gun, which is extreme overkill, but I wear glasses so I wanted to see what helped me most when I was NOT wearing them.

                        Frankly in the house I can aim at the middle of the hotspot of my TLR - 3 weapon light and be within a few inches. The laser is also very effective.

                        The trits have the advantage of being backups, always being there even when the laser and the light is not. I hardly ever turn the laser on, and when I go shooting I put my stock guide rod back in so the laser stays in mint shape. I actually have it for sale atm.

                        For my money the TLR - 1 is the most effective solution. It provides the light and safety you need anyway, and if you put the hotspot on a threat he's done for.

                        And you should keep both guns out. That way it would be a fair fight.
                        Last edited by Databyter; 02-12-2012, 2:05 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          voiceofreason
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 3785

                          Originally posted by barbasol
                          If its pitch black I wouldn't be able to see the target, and the sights would overpower everything else. If I can see my target then there is probably enough light that I wouldn't be able to see my tritium sights right?
                          Based on my night sights, they don't overpower ANYTHING, just 2 little not-so-bright glowing dots stacked one on top of the other.
                          (If I only see one dot, my muzzle is too low.)

                          Being able to discern the outline of my target, but not "see" much, my night sights would be highly visible.

                          Either I can see my sights clearly, or the dots are glowing clearly, or both. There isn't a lighting level where I can't get at least one or the other.

                          I'd recommend a TLR-1 or X300 before night sights personally, but given that you already have a light I think you'll be fine without night sights.

                          I still keep a handheld by the gun even though the gun already has a light attached. I prefer not to search with the muzzle of my gun. Just remember to keep the non gun hand behind the muzzle and not flag your own arm.

                          I don't use lasers myself, I've never been trained in their usage. Can't offer anything in regards to them.

                          Re: revolver vs. auto... both are fine tools that will work. A revolver with a handheld light is absolutely fine. I like wheelguns.

                          I personally PREFER to have night sights and a light mounted on the pistol with a handheld. Having more tools available is a good thing.

                          Remember that you won't be actively searching with the light on. Doing so might make you a bullet magnet or easy target for anyone lying in wait.

                          Unload your guns and do some walk throughs of your home in low light with and without your lights attached/with you.
                          Have a friend bring over a gun with night sights and run them again.

                          If you don't feel you need them, fine. I've yet to meet anyone that's held a gun with night sights in a dark room that didn't pick up a set for at least one gun.

                          If you're in LA county, feel free to PM me. We can arrange something if you don't have access to a gun with night sights to check them out and decide for yourself.

                          They're not required, just useful for many people. And don't put ANY gun on defensive duty that isn't reliable, revolver or auto. If it isn't reliable, make it reliable or take if off of defensive duty. Don't set yourself up for failure going into a gunfight.


                          THIS will be the best usage of your money for night sights or otherwise.:


                          The cost of the course is a great value for the quality of the instruction provided.

                          The instructor said it will be a basic pistol utilizing low light techniques instead of a higher end tactical course. Email them with any questions you might have regarding the course.
                          Last edited by voiceofreason; 02-12-2012, 8:13 AM.
                          "You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
                          John Quincy Adams

                          "You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
                          voiceofreason

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            drkphibr
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2010
                            • 2462

                            Originally posted by barbasol
                            Drkphibr, please tell me how many times you've pulled the trigger on a revolver with no bang. I'm on one compared to around 30 with various semi auto loaders.
                            So many I've lost count. A S&W 625 (previous owner had some "work" done to it) and using Winchester primers we were averaging at least 1 strike-no-bang per moon clip. One would think it it's a light hammer strike issue, it would be more consistent with the failures as the same primers in a 1911 have had no issues (outside of the occastonal FTF). CCI's produced better results, far fewer issues than Winchester. Also, can't remember how many threads I've seen on feed issues with various bullet types. This is also for plinking around at the range. For HD, I'd use commercial ammo (that I've tested at the range) for more peace of mind. Bottom line, all guns have the potential for issues. Range time/practice is the best medicine for me in how to handle potential situations so if they do happen it doesn't surprise me.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              cudakidd
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • 3355

                              Try taking a pistol course in low light conditions before you make up your mind.

                              I took one of my CCW renewal course at night. It was purposely set up as a low light class.

                              My normal S&W florescent front completely disappeared as did any idea of where my barrel was indexing as a result. I shot a decent group, waay to the left of center mass!

                              Tritium sights are small, hard to see, and time consuming to use in real time activity.

                              I went to XS big dot sights and/or Crimson trace laser grips as a result!

                              Anyone can have an opinion here. You need to experience the conditions yourself. Not creeping around the house dry firing and playing House Ninja, but at a range under controlled safe conditions and see what the muzzle flash, low light, and adrenaline do to your shooting, THEN you can really see what is happening!
                              TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
                              The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

                              William Butler Yeats 1865-1939

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1