Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

A one armed man comes into my shop...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Maddog5150
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2006
    • 10526

    A one armed man comes into my shop...

    No this isnt a joke. He owns a restaurant and wants a firearm for protection and his problem is that he only has his left arm. His right is cut off at about eight inches or so long. So naturally I show him a revolver but we run into a problem. Neither of us can open the cylinder with our left hand only and safely. So after trying and him getting a little frustrated I tell him that I have an Idea. I pick up and mp compact. I show him the functions and features. I then proceed to start loading the mag with left hand only, tuck the pistol under my right arm (the same area that he has left on his arm), slam the mag in and then rack the slide by carefully using the front of the slide against the counter. I reload it more easily since the M&P has left handed controls.
    He thinks about it and will see me tomorrow. Now I told my co-workers about the experience wanting their advice. Of coarse they knew everything about how i was wrong (never mind how both the customer and me were able to manipulate the auto with left hand only while the small revolver was impractical) so I am asking your opinions if any what you think a good concealable handgun would be for this gentleman.
    Revolver? Auto? any particular types? It has to be concealable, reasonable priced.
    The charter arms south paw doesnt appear on the list. I showed him a standard charter arms and he wasnt happy with the quality anyways.
    Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

    For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
    Note: I did not write the above article.

    Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

    sigpic
  • #2
    The SoCal Gunner
    Veteran Member
    • May 2006
    • 3319

    I vote for a semi-auto. Most guns have ambidextrous controls now and you can rack the slide with your shoe among various other methods. If it is for protection, it should have a round in the chamber anyways and it would be quicker to reload. Downside is that it might jam and with one hand only, dropping the mag then racking the slide and finally re-inserting the mag would be hard.

    OTOH, since it is for protection the revolver should be ready to go also and he could load 1 less round so he'll have to pull the trigger twice just (I wouldn't). Problem is, if he were to need to reload a revolver would be impractical for the reasons you stated. Even with a moonclip or speedloader it would be quite hard with one hand since you need to hold the revolver open so the cylinder is clear and then drop in the rounds for reload. But, it should not be likely that he would need to reload.

    While personally I would go semi, I think a revolver would be better for a one armed man in a real-life scenario because it is not likely to malfunction.

    Comment

    • #3
      5968
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • 3557

      Sounds good to me. I would use the rear sight rather then the front. I know that some police academies show officers how to reload with one hand much like you have described, except they put the rear sight on the heel of their boot and push down to put a round in the chamber.
      sigpicIf you loan someone twenty dollars and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
      Originally posted by hoffmang
      NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene

      Comment

      • #4
        Franksremote
        Vendor/Retailer
        • Dec 2006
        • 992

        Look in the last copy of Glock magazine, there's an article about a one-armed LEO that has mastered using only one arm for all actions with his Glock; loading, reloading, clearing a jam, EVERYTHING. Been on the force for the last 15 years or something like that. If you don't have the issue, PM me, I'm sure there's an extra copy at the shop.

        Comment

        • #5
          The SoCal Gunner
          Veteran Member
          • May 2006
          • 3319

          Originally posted by 5968
          Sounds good to me. I would use the rear sight rather then the front. I know that some police academies show officers how to reload with one hand much like you have described, except they put the rear sight on the heel of their boot and push down to put a round in the chamber.
          That also depends on the type of sights on the gun. Stock sights on XDs and Sigs will work. Would be harder with Novak style sights. Don't know what is used on the M&P.

          Comment

          • #6
            wilit
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2005
            • 5213

            What about something smaller like a Beretta Bobcat or a Walther PPK? I just checked and I can rack the slide on my FEG PA-63 just using my left hand with no other aids. Loading mags would be another story.
            "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
            "You have to be willing to swing your nuts like a deadblow hammer to put these jackasses in their place." - AJAX22
            "The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              JagerTroop
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • 3922

              this is easy. Schofield .45 Hideout modelhttp://www.navyarms.com/html/top_break_rev.html. Top break, easily actuated with the left hand. compact. excellent stopping power. One handed reloading... tuck into waistband or shoe to hold, and reload. They're a little pricey though.

              Just a thought
              -A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.*
              *participation may vary by location. Not valid in California.

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              And yes, this IS gun school.
              Welcome to class.
              Originally posted by bdsmchs
              There is life outside of Calguns
              Originally posted by IrishPirate
              stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!

              Comment

              • #8
                wayoutwest
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2003
                • 727

                Is he naturally left handed, since birth?

                I say semi, something with easy mag release, easy slide relase, maybe a decock

                HK USP V.2 or V.4

                But what do I know I have to hands
                ...teach your children well...

                Comment

                • #9
                  kmca
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 2371

                  Check out the new Charter Arms left-handed revolver

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Maddog5150
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 10526

                    the schofield would be great, i would have to ask him if he would want something sight unseen. he is VERY green to firearms.
                    It is a challange and i suggest you guys try manipulating firearms left handed only. seems like a challenge to me but also shows how difficult things could be if your right got wounded.
                    Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

                    For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
                    Note: I did not write the above article.

                    Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Maddog5150
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 10526

                      Originally posted by kmca
                      Check out the new Charter Arms left-handed revolver
                      towards the end of my initial post i stated that the southpaw doesnt appear on the list and he didnt like the charter arms.
                      Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

                      For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
                      Note: I did not write the above article.

                      Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        kmca
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 2371

                        Oppppsssss...sorry

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ColdSteel
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • 1879

                          HK P2000 or P2000 SK
                          I have a P2K and it's fully ambi, pretty concealable and a sweet shooter.
                          Precision Rifle Series.
                          Unleashing the 6mmGT.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            5968
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2006
                            • 3557

                            Originally posted by lilxboi
                            That also depends on the type of sights on the gun. Stock sights on XDs and Sigs will work. Would be harder with Novak style sights. Don't know what is used on the M&P.
                            True. You would have to make sure that a sight that would catch.
                            sigpicIf you loan someone twenty dollars and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
                            Originally posted by hoffmang
                            NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              RP1911
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Sep 2007
                              • 5198

                              Sig P220 (it is concealable) with the mag release switched to the right side. Mine is purposely setup that way and I'm right handed.

                              HK P7 PSP bottom mag release can be done with right or left hand.
                              RP1911
                              -----------
                              NRA Life
                              CGN

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1