Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Firearm scam..Please read.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Dion
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 818

    I get these all the time when I sell my bikes. Here's how I dealt with one of the scammers (not appropriate for CG for strong language and sexual content - you've been warned)



    Can't take these scammers seriously - you can smell them a mile away.
    Last edited by Dion; 12-08-2011, 2:07 PM.
    www.dionridesbikes.com

    Comment

    • #32
      alfred1222
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2010
      • 7331

      Originally posted by easyPZ
      My understanding of what the potential buyer asked to do:

      Potential buyer was not local, but has a newphew who is. Nephew would pay for the guns and take possession of the firearms until the true buyer is able to come to town for ppt.

      The scam:

      Nephew pays for guns in cash (no paper trail), and disappears. Guns registered to you are now in the hands of who knows.
      Ya i got the same thing after reading it a few times. Thats just a stupid way to scam someone who CLEARLY knows gun laws. you did the right thing by telling him to pound sand
      Originally posted by Kestryll
      This guy is a complete and total idiot.
      /thread.

      ΦΑ

      Comment

      • #33
        ojisan
        Agent 86
        CGN Contributor
        • Apr 2008
        • 11781

        Dion...well done craigslist replies!

        Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
        I don't really care, I just like to argue.

        Comment

        • #34
          Mesa Tactical
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2004
          • 1746

          Originally posted by Cali-Shooter
          Remember, any firearms activity in this state always has some sort of legal risk. Sad, but that's the way it is.
          No it doesn't.
          Lucy at www.mesatactical.com

          Comment

          • #35
            Untamed1972
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Mar 2009
            • 17579

            Originally posted by easyPZ
            My understanding of what the potential buyer asked to do:

            Potential buyer was not local, but has a newphew who is. Nephew would pay for the guns and take possession of the firearms until the true buyer is able to come to town for ppt.
            The scam:

            Nephew pays for guns in cash (no paper trail), and disappears. Guns registered to you are now in the hands of who knows.
            Problem is nephew can't legally take posession of the guns, they would have to be transfered to the nephew via legal FFL transfer and then the nephew could transfer them to the uncle at their convenience.

            Or seller could take cash and hold guns for out of town buyer till buyer is in town to meet and do the transfer.
            "Freedom begins with an act of defiance"

            Quote for the day:
            "..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun

            Comment

            • #36
              Dion
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2011
              • 818

              Originally posted by ojisan
              Dion...well done craigslist replies!
              THANK YOU!

              (I need a life )
              www.dionridesbikes.com

              Comment

              • #37
                hcbr
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 4733

                yikes
                Be the change that you wish to see in the world.Mahatma Gandhi

                "A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
                ― Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)

                Comment

                • #38
                  Stormfeather
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 7739

                  Originally posted by dr.crash
                  I guess it just depends. In california, yes i would never do anything outside of an FFL. However since moving to Ohio and seeing how people do things here. Its a different pce of life and they do not require an FFL to buy or sell weapons. No waiting period even if you do go to an FFL. Im sure it has something to do with that fact that Ohio is a Shall issue CCW state and im pretty sure 70% of the people here carry. From what i understand, most people out here just reqiure a BOS when selling their guns. Making a copy of the ID of the person they sell to. But like i said, if i was still in california, i would never even think about a back door deal unless it was C&R.
                  Same thing applies in Wisconsin, and Im pretty sure the rest of the USA minus California.
                  Originally posted by Soldier415
                  I am naked except for seatless white chaps, a boonie hat and a tactical vest playing HALO.
                  Originally posted by oaklander
                  I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
                  Originally posted by ohsmily
                  I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
                  Originally posted by hoffmang
                  Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
                  -Gene

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Gem1950
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • 2876

                    Originally posted by rattlesnake
                    sounds like cops
                    ^^^ Ditto. I once had a guy (that I didn't know) emailing me that he was going to Arizona and did I want him to pick up any guns for me. I politely told him that in so doing both he and I would be breaking about a half dozen laws and said no thank you. Never heard from him again.
                    "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine



                    "We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

                    "Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      bsg
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 25954

                      it is obvious that the want to be buyer was not ignorant of the law.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        ace_31
                        Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 387

                        Originally posted by gnf1
                        Sounds like a potential "Craigslist" type setup for a robbery.

                        Always better to do it the right way. With documentation and witnesses around.
                        +1

                        Thats exactly what I was thinking

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          G-Man WC
                          In Memoriam
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 10991

                          Sounds like Iggy's back in business. -g
                          If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
                          -Samuel Adams

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            E__WOK
                            Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 480

                            Originally posted by jeep7081
                            Wasn't sure where to put this. A mod can move it. While I know most CG wouldn't fall for this, I still felt the need to post what happen.

                            I was selling a few of my firearms recently. I got an email that the buyer would pay full asking price, and in cash. They went on to say that they were out of the area, and knew I wanted a quick sale, and they wanted the firearms for sale. So, they would send their nephew by to pick up the firearms, pay me in cash (no checks, cashiers check, or money order), green cash. I had to promise, when the buyer was in my local area, we could meet up and do a legal transfer.

                            Ya, ok. I replied back, and laughed, and said nice try. Besides, they were sold.

                            Anyway, the scams are out there.
                            Let's put this to rest. Which firearms were you selling?
                            Feedback

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              locosway
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 11346

                              Originally posted by shamu415
                              Unless it was a C&R, but It's good you did not sell a firearm to a minor, better to be safe than sorry
                              Where did it ever list their ages?

                              Also, in many states it's legal to sell guns without a dealer if it's a PPT. They might not be from CA originally or understand the laws here.

                              I've had people drag out PPT's for weeks because they couldn't get time to do the transfer. Fortunately for me, all of them understand the laws here. However, I could see someone asking a family member to check out the gun for them and see about holding it. I would likely hold a gun for a while for someone if they gave me a deposit, but obviously all sales would have to be through a FFL.
                              OCSD Approved CCW Instructor
                              NRA Certified Instructor
                              CA DOJ Certified Instructor
                              Glock Certified Armorer

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                jeep7081
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2009
                                • 1534

                                Originally posted by easyPZ
                                My understanding of what the potential buyer asked to do:

                                Potential buyer was not local, but has a newphew who is. Nephew would pay for the guns and take possession of the firearms until the true buyer is able to come to town for ppt.

                                The scam:

                                Nephew pays for guns in cash (no paper trail), and disappears. Guns registered to you are now in the hands of who knows.
                                Correct.
                                -If you insult me for my grammar errors, what makes you think I understand the insult?
                                -Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Are we done
                                -Voting is like falling off your bike. Sidewalk or street. Both are painful to fall on. But, the sidewalk (Mitt) is closer to the green grass.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1