Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

NRA add-a-buck .... do you ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Garand1911
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2002
    • 1443

    NRA add-a-buck .... do you ?

    Do you "Add-A-Buck" or "Round Up" donation to the NRA when purchasing gun stuff ?


    Im an NRA Life member and when i get a chance i always "round-up" or "add a buck" to the NRA when im buying online gun stuff or when the store asks me to donate.

    I was in Turners today buying some ammo, and I got a bit irked when the guy in front of me declined to donate $1 to the NRA. His reasoning being that "he is a dues paying member". Ok thats cool, maybe he contributes extra money yearly, and I understand that even $1 nowadays can be hard to give for some struggling folks. The clerk told him that they ask for donations because it goes directly to Calif Pro-gun fight.

    The reason why im irked by this guy is that he appeared to a "rich guy" and not a struggling soul. How do i know this ? Well the hat he proudly wore was from an expensive private college, he just bought a $800+ handgun (paid in full), and the brand new $65,000 european sports car he climbed into and drove off in. I guess the gun is protect his new fancy car.

    Am i wrong for being irked by this guy, and his lack of giving $1 to a good cause?
    "I saved your life, AND brought you pizza" -- Me
  • #2
    bruceflinch
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 40155

    I do the "round up" thing. I'm cheap, but people cheaper than me irk me.

    The cheap people that irk me are the Shotgunners @ my club, who whine about the high cost of shooting trap & skeet, with their $15,000 shotguns...
    Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

    I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

    Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

    Secret Club Member?.

    Comment

    • #3
      JamesY
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • 2652

      I usually round up when ordering online. Never been asked to donate at a gunshop.

      Comment

      • #4
        damon1272
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2006
        • 4857

        Yes. Small donation to our future. I would like to see the same thing for SAF.

        Comment

        • #5
          Merc1138
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Feb 2009
          • 19742

          Originally posted by Garand1911
          Do you "Add-A-Buck" or "Round Up" donation to the NRA when purchasing gun stuff ?


          Im an NRA Life member and when i get a chance i always "round-up" or "add a buck" to the NRA when im buying online gun stuff or when the store asks me to donate.

          I was in Turners today buying some ammo, and I got a bit irked when the guy in front of me declined to donate $1 to the NRA. His reasoning being that "he is a dues paying member". Ok thats cool, maybe he contributes extra money yearly, and I understand that even $1 nowadays can be hard to give for some struggling folks. The clerk told him that they ask for donations because it goes directly to Calif Pro-gun fight.

          The reason why im irked by this guy is that he appeared to a "rich guy" and not a struggling soul. How do i know this ? Well the hat he proudly wore was from an expensive private college, he just bought a $800+ handgun (paid in full), and the brand new $65,000 european sports car he climbed into and drove off in. I guess the gun is protect his new fancy car.

          Am i wrong for being irked by this guy, and his lack of giving $1 to a good cause?
          Buying an $800 handgun paid in full is a sign of being "rich" these days? Maybe the guy actually does donate a bunch of money to the NRA? Why should he be compelled to donate money just because he was asked to? Even if the guy was rich, he probably didn't gain his fortune by handing money out every time he's asked. I do the NRA round up thing online, but ask me in person when I'm not expecting to be asked and I'll automatically respond with a no.

          Comment

          • #6
            Kodemonkey
            • Jun 2010
            • 2904

            I get irked by every store that asks me to donate anytime I buy something. At the grocery store I get asked to donate money to breast cancer, prostate cancer, MD, etc. I go to walmart, same thing. The schools my kids go to, the kid next door's volleyball team, the red cross, and my local politicians.

            And the NRA calls me almost every other day for money. They can get in line behind everyone else - after my family gets what they need.

            I donate to several charities for Science, education, CGF, CGN, NRA, CRPA, red cross, every year.

            I don't need people constantly asking me for more money.

            That guy could have well been me.

            Comment

            • #7
              carnelianbay
              Member
              • May 2011
              • 306

              Always.

              Midwayusa makes it so easy. I don’t recall seeing the option the last time I ordered from Brownells. They should do the same thing.
              ---

              Comment

              • #8
                ThortheDog
                Member
                • Mar 2011
                • 321

                Midway got me started on donating through "Add-a-Buck." For me, it's an inexpensive way to donate a bit extra.

                I understand the sentiments against getting hit up for a donation every time you draw a breath. It's pretty tiresome between the cash register, the person standing outside the door of the store, the phone, doorbell, the mail.

                For me, I've identified those few organizations I will donate to because their cause is meaningful to me NRA is one of those. And since, like others here, I don't have a lot of extra money to throw around, making small donations like "Add a Buck" is an easy way to help the cause.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Huge Grant
                  Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 225

                  I don't know if you need to get "irked". People can put their money wherever they want to without explanation. Do you want people scrutinizing your every expenditure, or where you are or are not donating money? Of course not.

                  I, personally, am both a member and a participant in add-a-buck whenever it's offered. However, I am very irked at the NRA's sending me renewal notices every month, starting like 2 weeks after joining. Stop it already, I joined for the year, and will renew when I am about to expire. You're wasting paper over there. Rant over.
                  Last edited by Huge Grant; 09-17-2011, 5:03 PM.
                  Originally posted by thud916
                  I have to admit I like carrying anything new I buy around the house with me. Wife caught me taking a growler wearing body armor and holding a Spike Tactical.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    punkur67
                    Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • 312

                    What cracks me up is the places that ask you to donate to the NRA but they do not give you a discount for being a member. That one I just dont understand.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      sevensix2x51
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 3835

                      Last order at midway, I rounded up like $4. made it an even number. Went to turners the other day to pick up a rifle, and while I was waiting for pickup time, bought some cartridges and added a buck. When it came time to finish up the paperwork at the counter, I forget if I paid some more cash for something but I was asked to add a buck again, and didn't. Does that make me a jerk?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        deez
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 1361

                        I always round-up, whenever ordering from MidwayUSA.

                        They make it easy, I don't have to do anything. Another reason why I love Midway so much!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          maddoggie13
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 2076

                          Round-up all the time...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Jonathan Doe

                            Originally posted by maddoggie13
                            Round-up all the time...
                            I do always, too.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              G60
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2008
                              • 3989

                              Anyplace that offers it.

                              I also use swipegood to donate to CGF. it rounds up every debit/credit transaction and donates that amount every month.
                              "Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." - Dr. Huey P. Newton

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1