Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

help me choose an optic for my 6.8

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 1911man
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2006
    • 1575

    help me choose an optic for my 6.8

    I will be mostly possibly hunting with the rig and plinking. My rig currently has a leupold fixed 2.5x , but when I took it to the range the other day, the crosshairs covered the 4'' circle. When I will be hunting game it will be much bigger then 4'' pig, deer, elk cows. In most hunting situations I have read that most shots are taken within 125 yards, most of my hunting situations are in that range. I feel the rifle might need more power. Already have a 1.5x5, 3x9 mrt, and a 3.5x10 B&C leupold, but I want to keep the rifle as light. Should I stay with the 2.5 scope?
    Last edited by 1911man; 11-05-2011, 8:58 PM.
  • #2
    PRCABR4Christ
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 954

    I like a scope with mil dots, and my hunting is between 150-400yds, so my needs are somewhat different that yours...

    I would go with a 30mm tube around 10x

    FWIW when I build a 6.8 in the next few months that's what I'll be going with...likely a Nightforce
    Good saddles ain't cheap...and cheap saddles ain't good

    I have a custom spur and western decoration business! http://www.facebook.com/pages/JH-Spurs/211804625565944 & http://www.etsy.com/shop/JHSpurs?ref=si_shop

    Comment

    • #3
      duggan
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2011
      • 1821

      Check out hawke optics, the sr6 and sr12 reticles have a free software program available at the hawk website. You put in your bullet info and the software will calculate the POI for each line on the reticle. It's formatted for you to print out the info in a circle slightly smaller than the ID of the scope cover allowing you to cut it out and attach it to the scope cap. The one I have on my 6.8 is really clear has held zero through 500+ rounds and didn't break my bank.
      A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it.

      Comment

      • #4
        rogers017
        Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 414

        I have a Redfield Revolution 3-9x on mine. So far so good, haven't had any problems with it yet ( I have 200 rounds through her so far).
        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
        Originally posted by santacruzstefan
        No, I never had good enough dexterity to play with the sack.

        Comment

        • #5
          DannyInSoCal
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2010
          • 8271

          Vortex w/5x magnifier works for me out to 400 yards...
          .
          $500 Donation to any Veterans Charity - Plus $500 Gift Card to any gun store: Visit 2nd Amendment Mortgage / www.2AMortgage.com

          Comment

          • #6
            sholling
            I need a LIFE!!
            CGN Contributor
            • Sep 2007
            • 10360

            I put a Burris 1-4x24 Xtreme Tactical on mine but Leupold makes a 9oz VXII 3-9x33 Ultralight that might be a good choice, so might a Nikon Monarch African 1-4x20. 4x should be plenty of magnification out to at least 120yds.

            Last edited by sholling; 08-26-2011, 10:32 PM. Reason: added links
            "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

            Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

            Comment

            • #7
              jonzer77
              • Jul 2010
              • 8525

              Originally posted by rogers017
              I have a Redfield Revolution 3-9x on mine. So far so good, haven't had any problems with it yet ( I have 200 rounds through her so far).
              I just got that scope for my 6.8 build, the redfield 3-9x50. I just got it today so I haven't had a chance to shoot it but it's sits on my 5.56 right now.
              Originally posted by barrage
              That's because Excelsior threads are like toilet bowls. They're made for crapping in and occasionally pissing on the side of.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1