Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Because shooting twice is silly. (.45 acp)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    EricClay
    Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 144

    Originally posted by OHOD
    45 acp v. .357 mag



    .45ACP ... 400-600 ft.lb
    .357 Mag .... 570-775 ft.lb

    You assume that all the energy is dissipated in the target. Higher velocity rounds tend to pass through targets and take all that extra energy with them. Even expanding rounds.

    Personally being shot with either of those rounds would be a really really bad day.

    Comment

    • #32
      Cowboy T
      Calguns Addict
      • Mar 2010
      • 5725

      Oh hell, just get both a .357M revolver *AND* a 1911 and go have fun!
      "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
      F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
      http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
      http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
      http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
      ----------------------------------------------------
      To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

      Comment

      • #33
        Turo
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2009
        • 5066

        Originally posted by Cowboy T
        Oh hell, just get both a .357M revolver *AND* a 1911 and go have fun!
        That sounds like a plan I can work with!


        .22 thrown in for fun
        "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
        -Thomas Jefferson

        Comment

        • #34
          Rude Robert
          Member
          • Apr 2010
          • 194

          Thanks for the videos, where's the one for the 44mag lol? Just kidding. That is why I want the springfield 1911, I already have the other two lol.

          Comment

          • #35
            Rude Robert
            Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 194

            Thanks for the videos, where's the one for the 44mag lol? Just kidding. That is why I want the springfield 1911, I already have the other two lol.

            Hey, by the way. The 357 was only a 125 gr bullets yikes. See the wound channel that thing made compared to the 45acp. I wonder what bullet wt it was? It looks like it lost most of its stopper power by going clean through the gel. The 357 had a lot bigger impact from what my simple eyes is telling me lol

            Comment

            • #36
              rojocorsa
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2008
              • 9139

              Originally posted by sixersgo
              is the 1911 really that good ?

              Dude, you're talking about one of the most fanboyed guns in the world if that tells you anything.
              sigpic
              7-6-2 FTMFW!

              "...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."

              Comment

              • #37
                OHOD
                I need a LIFE!!
                CGN Contributor
                • Jan 2009
                • 11047

                Originally posted by Cowboy T
                Oh hell, just get both a .357M revolver *AND* a 1911 and go have fun!
                How about 1911 as your primary and a nice .357 mag snubby as a backup.
                Sweeeeeeeet.
                sigpic

                INGSOC comes to America.
                Sip your Victory Gin folks, time's are a changin'

                Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
                A time of innocence, A time of confidences
                Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
                Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you

                Comment

                • #38
                  Johnnykck
                  Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 401

                  Originally posted by Gryff
                  [trollmode]
                  A head shot with a .22 is better than a body shot with a .45. That's why the .22 is better.
                  [/trollmode]
                  Up where my uncle lives, in the san jose foothills, a guy was shot in the back of his head twice with a .22 caliber pistol, dumped in a ditch and left for dead. He ended up walking a 1/2 mile up the hill to my uncles house. After calling the ambulance and cops it turned out both bullets bounced off of his skull, one got lodged in his neck, but he recovered. That will not happen with a .45.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Army GI
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 4284

                    Honestly folks, .357 Magnum SUCKS for a primary handgun in my opinion. My ego isn't so big to admit that I would prefer something like a 9mm for a duty sidearm. I own a GP 100 and they ain't no fun to shoot after a few cylinders of full powered magnum loads. WAY too much muzzle blast and recoil.

                    Sure they're fun at first, but, if anything, people love the practice rounds I load for it utilizing TrailBoss powder which makes it feel like you're shooting a .22.

                    I'm kind of past the age where I need to have all that obnoxious noise and flash in my guns to feel cool when I shoot
                    I purge the wicked. The impious madness must end. I shall be the instrument of Armageddon. It has gotten out of hand...
                    WTB: Winchester /Miroki 1895 .30-06; No1. Mk. III SMLE .303 British; M96 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55mm; M39 Finnish Mosin 7.62x54r; S&W 625 .45 ACP; Glock 17.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Paper Boy
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 5666

                      Youtube reviews https://bit.ly/2V3WchY
                      https://hooksandammo.com

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        OHOD
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 11047

                        Originally posted by EricClay
                        You assume that all the energy is dissipated in the target. Higher velocity rounds tend to pass through targets and take all that extra energy with them. Even expanding rounds.

                        Personally being shot with either of those rounds would be a really really bad day.
                        Heck, even being shot with a 22 is a bad day.

                        I've taken care of patients with 22 wounds on up to 7.62 wounds.
                        38 to 45 as well.

                        Patients that do the worst are the ones that have had a huge shock to their system. Sure, the bullet could go through and through, but the shock wave is going to create a huge amount of damage.

                        By the way, this thread should be moved to the general gun discussion now.
                        sigpic

                        INGSOC comes to America.
                        Sip your Victory Gin folks, time's are a changin'

                        Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
                        A time of innocence, A time of confidences
                        Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
                        Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          theduece
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 768

                          Originally posted by Army GI
                          I'm kind of past the age where I need to have all that obnoxious noise and flash in my guns to feel cool when I shoot
                          This Happens????????????
                          ......

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Maddog5150
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 10526

                            Originally posted by jaq
                            It comes from the fact that the SAS used to train with the Hi-Power to double-tap as a matter of course. This was due to their real life experiences that a 9 mm is more effective with two bullets.



                            And yet the caliber of choice for SOCOM is .45 acp. And it was Delta Force veterans of Mogadishu who insisted on developing a .45 cal AR. I wonder why that is?
                            my drill sgt wore a green baret and he talked about 45s. Drill Sgt Upson also said he preferred the 9mm ;-)
                            Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

                            For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
                            Note: I did not write the above article.

                            Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              Medic451
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2008
                              • 689

                              sigpic"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
                              - John Wayne in "The Shootist"

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Time of Flight
                                Member
                                • Jul 2011
                                • 252

                                Originally posted by Medic451
                                /thread
                                sigpic

                                ...On Your Toes,

                                Rome is burning...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1