Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anyone heard of this ammo?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • beaster
    Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 284

    Anyone heard of this ammo?

    Quantity
    DAG BRAND .308 TRAINING AMMUNITION - 1,000-ROUNDS PLASTIC PROJECTILE
    $249.00 $199.00 On Sale!


    DAG Brand .308 / 7.62x51mm Training Ammunition. Full case of 1,000-rounds. Plastic projectile, NATO specification. German Army surplus. Short Range Training Ammunition, Accurate up to 300 meters. Non- corrosive. Made in Germany - finest quality. Military surplus from the 1990's. Popular for use as a rifle sighting-in round and for economical target practice. Note, same care must be used as with regular ammunition as these cartridges still produce considerable power and velocity.

    I'm thinking about getting an M1A and was looking into ammo prices for it. Came across this and thought, WTF? The picture looks like blue plastic snap caps. Anyone play, er I mean shoot, with these before?
    NRA and CRPA Member
    "Absolute liberty is absence of restraint; responsibility is restraint; therefore, the ideally free individual is responsible to himself." -Henry B Adams
  • #2
    yelohamr
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 1402

    FBI used ammo like it for practice in the 70's.

    Comment

    • #3
      CSACANNONEER
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2006
      • 44094

      It won't cycle in semi autos. There is zero recoil and it's fun to plink with but, that's it.
      NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
      California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
      Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
      Utah CCW Instructor


      Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

      sigpic
      CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

      KM6WLV

      Comment

      • #4
        Dutch3
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Oct 2010
        • 14181

        I have thought about trying some in my bolt guns, but not sure I need 1K rounds. SGAmmo sells it in smaller quantities.
        Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

        Comment

        • #5
          stix213
          AKA: Joe Censored
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Apr 2009
          • 19002

          How is this ammo useful for sighting in (as the ad says) when it will undoubtedly have a point of impact far from where a real bullet will hit?

          Comment

          • #6
            WDE91
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 3513

            heres another thread on the topic
            "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison

            Comment

            • #7
              Dutch3
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Oct 2010
              • 14181

              Originally posted by stix213
              How is this ammo useful for sighting in (as the ad says) when it will undoubtedly have a point of impact far from where a real bullet will hit?
              I am assuming the high velocity (4200fps) is intended to counter the lighter mass of the projectile for a limited distance.
              Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

              Comment

              • #8
                jimmykan
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2008
                • 3103

                Is this stuff lethal? Can we play airsoft with it? Hey, they're both plastic projectiles.

                Comment

                • #9
                  wilit
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 5213

                  Originally posted by jimmykan
                  Is this stuff lethal? Can we play airsoft with it? Hey, they're both plastic projectiles.
                  Considering the ad says "accurate to 300 meters" and "Note, same care must be used as with regular ammunition as these cartridges still produce considerable power and velocity." I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably lethal.
                  "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
                  "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
                  "You have to be willing to swing your nuts like a deadblow hammer to put these jackasses in their place." - AJAX22
                  "The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    stix213
                    AKA: Joe Censored
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 19002

                    Originally posted by jimmykan
                    Is this stuff lethal? Can we play airsoft with it? Hey, they're both plastic projectiles.
                    You had me laughing pretty good with that one

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      mycrstuff
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 1428

                      Originally posted by beaster
                      Quantity
                      DAG BRAND .308 TRAINING AMMUNITION - 1,000-ROUNDS PLASTIC PROJECTILE
                      $249.00 $199.00 On Sale!


                      Anyone play, er I mean shoot, with these before?
                      I haven't shot any. I used to find them all the time when I went camping with the Boy Scouts in Germany in the early 70's. At one camp out with another scout troop the guys from the other troop started lighting the tips and throwing them like fire crackers. Since they lived at the base we were camping at (US military training area) this was considered normal for them as blanks were literally everywhere on that base and they did it all the time, not just when camping.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        caldude
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007
                        • 1253

                        I use these rounds in my FR8. They won't cycle a semi-auto. Even though the ad says 'accurate to 300 yds', I'd take that with a grain of salt. I generally use them at 50yds or less, any more and my 'groups' open up pretty big. Partly that could be because I can't see the target at 100yds with open sights, and partly because the light bullets tend to be affected more at the windy places I shoot.

                        Also, they don't feed or extract well, but that can be managed in a bolt gun.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          CSACANNONEER
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Dec 2006
                          • 44094

                          Originally posted by caldude
                          Also, they don't feed or extract well, but that can be managed in a bolt gun.
                          Good point. I've had them stick in a lever gun (Savage 99 in .308) to the point I needed to agressively push them out with a cleaning rod.
                          NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                          California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                          Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                          Utah CCW Instructor


                          Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                          sigpic
                          CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                          KM6WLV

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            smle-man
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2007
                            • 10606

                            They were accurate at 50 yds for me but 100 yds on a windy day the group opened up to a foot. Worked best in a 7.62 Lee Enfield. A few feeding problems in a mauser. Fed great in a manually operated FAL. I read a write up on this ammo where the writer shot one through and through a metal oil drum at close range. Sounds like great short range urban combat ammo! Be careful with this stuff as it will kill at short range.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              smle-man
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2007
                              • 10606

                              BTW Wideners had it for $169 a thousand.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1