Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

My letter to Cheaper Than Dirt

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • oldrifle
    Triple Unobtainium Member
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2007
    • 4716

    My letter to Cheaper Than Dirt

    After having my good money and business rejected by Cheaper Than Dirt yet again today, I decided to ask to speak to the person in charge of their policies regarding sales to California. The salesperson I spoke to was very friendly and wanted to help me out, so she transfered me to someone by the name of Ben Jackson (though she wasn't totally sure about the last name) but he never picked up. She gave me his email address instead so I decided to write him a short note. Hopefully this letter will shake the right tree and make a difference, though I doubt it.

    Hello Ben,

    My name is [oldrifle] and I'm a gun owner in California. I was given your email address by a salesperson there and am not sure of your last name or I would have addressed you more appropriately.

    I'm a longtime member of the NRA and the Calguns Foundation and have been personally involved in many legislative and fundraising projects to support gun rights both here in California and throughout the country. Over the years I have purchased and built many firearms, including CA compliant AR-15s and AK-47s at my home. ARs and AKs are quite ubiquitous here in California. Just about every gun owner I know has at least one AR-15 and many have several. AK variants are becoming huge in California too, with "build parties" happening all the time in various parts of the state. Yes, it is quite possible to build these rifles in ways that are 100% compliant with both the spirit and the letter of the CA assault weapons ban law. I am sure you are aware of this and have heard it from other CA customers in the past.

    For the past few years I've been aware of Cheaper Than Dirt policies regarding selling semi-automatic rifle parts to customers in California. I am among thousands of California customers (and potential customers) who feel it's time for that policy to change. There have been several instances in which I have attempted to purchase parts from your website or catalog that are perfectly legal in California, only to be turned away by your staff. Each time I have spoken to your salespeople regarding this issue, they have been very polite and apologetic. In fact, one of them even told me a few of the salespeople have been trying to convince management to reverse this policy because they believe it is unfair to California gun owners and only hurts your business. It's common for people who work for a business, particularly in sales, to want to see that business grow and not be limited by policies that are holding that business back.

    As you likely know, California is the most populace state in the US, outranking Texas by over 12 million people (sorry!). I've also heard from people within the NRA that CA has the most gun owners of any other state, which makes sense due to our huge population. Many of us California gun owners and would-be CTD customers feel that your policies are mainly designed to punish us. I know there is a lot of anti-California sentiment among gun owners in other parts of the country, but our whacky politicians and gun laws (I think NY is actually worse in this regard) should not reflect on the individual CA gun owner who supports the NRA, makes regular donations to pro-gun groups and votes for pro-gun political candidates. Many CA gun owners even got together to hold their noses and vote for a left-wing gubernatorial candidate by the name of Jerry Brown and ended up putting him in office. Why would we do that? Because he is more pro-gun than was his Republican opponent, Meg Whitman. Doesn't that speak to the level of sacrifice we are willing to make to improve gun laws in our state?

    Having made the case somewhat for California gun owners, any business must ultimately look at the bottom line. Think about all the sales that you're handing to companies like Midway and Brownells on a silver platter because they happily sell AK and AR parts to CA residents. Why are they able to do it and you aren't? Unless you fully enter the CA market I doubt you will ever be able to fully compete with these two companies. Cheaper Than Dirt has a great website and fantastic deals. Other than this policy, customer service has always been excellent in my experience. There is no reason CTD can't be the number one retailer of guns, gun parts, ammo and accessories in the US.

    I think it's time to put old policies and prejudices aside and make a change in Cheaper Than Dirt's attitude towards its California customers. There is no danger to CTD in making these items available to us as they are merely parts and not legally considered firearms. There are no restrictions on selling these parts to CA residents at the state or the federal level, as I'm sure you know. Why limit the growth of your company and turn away what doubtlessly amounts to many hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars, in sales each year? It doesn't make sense to me, the millions of other California gun owners and, evidently, many members of the Cheaper Than Dirt staff who constantly have to field questions from people like me about why you won't sell a rifle stock or a parts kit to someone in California, even though it's perfectly legal to do so.

    Thanks for your time and I appreciate you hearing me out. I look forward to hearing a response.

    Sincerely,

    [oldrifle]
    It was likely a waste of time, but who knows. Maybe it'll get through to someone who will realize the massive mistake they're making in turning away these sales.
    -- Proud Donor. Please join me in donating now to help protect our 2nd amendment rights.

    Buy from Amazon? Use this link to shop and earn money for CGF at the same time!
  • #2
    SamsDX
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 1451

    This is one of the most well-written letters on this subject directed to a vendor that I have ever read. You hit all the right points, you made the right appeals, all while being 100% respectful and laudatory of CTD as a business and this "Ben" guy as a person even as you point out things that could be improved. I couldn't have said it any better myself - Good job!

    To be honest, if this doesn't at least give them some pause, I don't know what will. We need to write more letters like this and hopefully it'll get them to change their ways.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, SAF Life Member, CCRKBA Life Member

    Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.

    Comment

    • #3
      BayAreaShooter
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2010
      • 5054

      I cant wait to read his return e-mail.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        oldrifle
        Triple Unobtainium Member
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2007
        • 4716

        That's very nice of you to say. I will be happy to press on with this effort. Hopefully it will make a difference.

        As a former employee and owner of a mail order business on a similar scale to CTD, I sort of know which buttons to push.
        -- Proud Donor. Please join me in donating now to help protect our 2nd amendment rights.

        Buy from Amazon? Use this link to shop and earn money for CGF at the same time!

        Comment

        • #5
          guns_and_labs
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Dec 2004
          • 1094

          I'm not sure that the authors of the various restrictive bills believe bullet buttons to be consistent with the "spirit" of the law, though they admit that they are consistent with the letter of the law. But nice letter nonetheless.
          "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Wayne LaPierre, NRA Press Conference, 12/21/12

          Comment

          • #6
            oldrifle
            Triple Unobtainium Member
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Oct 2007
            • 4716

            Originally posted by guns_and_labs
            I'm not sure that the authors of the various restrictive bills believe bullet buttons to be consistent with the "spirit" of the law, though they admit that they are consistent with the letter of the law. But nice letter nonetheless.
            Well, as far as their use being consistent with the spirit of the law... perhaps not, but I choose to believe they protect us from whatever horrible evil the authors envisioned at the time. If they can fantasize, why can't I?
            -- Proud Donor. Please join me in donating now to help protect our 2nd amendment rights.

            Buy from Amazon? Use this link to shop and earn money for CGF at the same time!

            Comment

            • #7
              SamsDX
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 1451

              Originally posted by oldrifle
              As a former employee and owner of a mail order business on a similar scale to CTD, I sort of know which buttons to push.
              I knew that had to be it! Your understanding of the business really came through in that letter. You stayed classy by not mentioning it and letting your arguments speak for itself, because otherwise it would have come across as patronizing.
              NRA Benefactor Life Member, SAF Life Member, CCRKBA Life Member

              Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.

              Comment

              • #8
                d4v0s
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2010
                • 1661

                Another point i would make is they are not simply losing sales of AR15 parts, Many times i will dump an entire order or Magazines, Target supplies, and Ammunition simply because i cant order all of my stuff from one place.

                It is almost sad how silly some so called business men can be, Bigger picture people, Bigger picture.
                Originally posted by Franklincollector
                It was administered with a toothpick and placed on a street taco.

                Comment

                • #9
                  oldrifle
                  Triple Unobtainium Member
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2007
                  • 4716

                  Originally posted by d4v0s
                  Another point i would make is they are not simply losing sales of AR15 parts, Many times i will dump an entire order or Magazines, Target supplies, and Ammunition simply because i cant order all of my stuff from one place.

                  It is almost sad how silly some so called business men can be, Bigger picture people, Bigger picture.
                  You're right, I wish I would have mentioned that. The other day I had a big order in my cart with a bunch of tools and other supplies that aren't restricted by CTD and ended up cancelling the whole order and placing it with Brownells instead because they wouldn't sell me the AR parts I needed. I told the salesperson I was going to do that and she suggested making two orders, but I didn't want to pay shipping twice. This probably happens all the time and they have no idea.
                  -- Proud Donor. Please join me in donating now to help protect our 2nd amendment rights.

                  Buy from Amazon? Use this link to shop and earn money for CGF at the same time!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Toolbox X
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 2602

                    I remember when CTD literally sold items at prices so low you were shocked. Ammunition deals were outstanding. I don't know WTF happened, but CTD is now pretty much the most expensive internet gun parts/ammo store on the internet. I say screw 'em. They lost my business long ago. Good riddance.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      chim-chim7
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 1845

                      Hopefully you wont receive a form letter response. Thank you for contacting Cheaper Than Dirt. We will be looking into this matter in the near future. In the meantime please browse our new updated website, for thousands of new products monthly and the lowest prices guaranteed. Thanks again for choosing Cheaper than Dirt. FAIL.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        oldrifle
                        Triple Unobtainium Member
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2007
                        • 4716

                        Originally posted by chim-chim7
                        Hopefully you wont receive a form letter response. Thank you for contacting Cheaper Than Dirt. We will be looking into this matter in the near future. In the meantime please browse our new updated website, for thousands of new products monthly and the lowest prices guaranteed. Thanks again for choosing Cheaper than Dirt. FAIL.
                        I'll update the thread if/when I get a response. I was trying to keep the tone of my letter positive because I really do like CTD and want to do more business with them. I've had good experiences with them in the past and have found the ammo deals to be better than average. If you take a look at ammoengine.com, you'll see that CTD is generally the cheapest when it comes to cost per round. They also sell a lot of the low-end cheap ammo that a lot of other sites don't sell.

                        As it stands now, I've given a few thousand dollars worth of orders to their competitors that I could have placed with them. I really only ever buy ammo from CTD because nearly all my gun-related Internet orders consist of AR or AK parts.
                        -- Proud Donor. Please join me in donating now to help protect our 2nd amendment rights.

                        Buy from Amazon? Use this link to shop and earn money for CGF at the same time!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sawchain
                          Member
                          • Dec 2010
                          • 453

                          You voted for Jerry Brown?!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            oldrifle
                            Triple Unobtainium Member
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Oct 2007
                            • 4716

                            Originally posted by sawchain
                            You voted for Jerry Brown?!
                            Hell no, but a lot of Calgunners did
                            -- Proud Donor. Please join me in donating now to help protect our 2nd amendment rights.

                            Buy from Amazon? Use this link to shop and earn money for CGF at the same time!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              FourLoko
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 2426

                              very well written, plenty of other vendors out there though

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1