Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Do Gun Shows really have deals?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    glock_this
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2005
    • 8225

    No..

    the web is better. period. no tax, free delivery to your door, better prices, no attitude from smug sellers thinking they are doing you a favor selling to you.

    After paying the exorbitant entry fees, parking costs, it's just not worth it anymore to go look at what mostly amounts to a giant garage sale or replica sale of swords, blow guns and tasers
    10 +1 in the chamber

    Comment

    • #17
      Saigon1965
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Nov 2003
      • 17278

      Exactly for me - I enjoy it - Wish I can attend more often -

      Originally posted by appagohm
      Good deals or not, guns shows are just plain fun!!

      Comment

      • #18
        Spetsnazos
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2011
        • 1470

        Ammo seems to be drastically cheaper(Miwall booth) compared to most online sources, especially when buying in bulk.

        I haven't seen a single good deal on stocks, old pistols, bipods or random accessories.

        You can get magazines for relatively cheap, depending on what its for.

        Honestly just go there to browse and get ammo is what I always have in mind when going
        -Remington 700 .308, AICS Black, Bushnell 6-24 50 Scope

        -Makarov PM .380 ACP

        -Ruger 10/22, Tapco T6 Stock, Leupold 3-9 40

        Comment

        • #19
          glocklover
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 519

          Meh, I went to a couple, I'll pass. Some guys go because they have friends that go with booths, or it's just a place to go socialize, which is fine, ME, I'd rather socialize and shoot at a range.

          with all the fees to get in, it's ridiculous. Plus, there really isn't a selection of modern weapons. It's just a real let down, when we get this over priced, neutuered gun show that's the size of a garage sale. When in other states gun shows are like a wet dream, that takes up several halls.

          I know, I'm negative.

          Comment

          • #20
            infernl
            Senior Member
            • May 2010
            • 892

            It really depends on what you're looking for. Ammo is almost always a given, since there's quantity to be had, just depends on what demand is and who is gouging who for what at that moment in time. .45 ammo has been ridiculous lately compared to 9mm which seems to be way cheaper than it has been in awhile in my area. The C&R rifles can be extremely interesting, and some deals can be had if you're willing to negotiate. I built my AR from parts purchased from several gun show sellers for a grand total of about $850 (S&W M&P15 lower, Stag 2HT upper, Magpul misc.)
            Now trusted by 34 out of 50 US States, except for that which is my home...
            Member

            Comment

            • #21
              glock_this
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2005
              • 8225

              But on ammo, years ago I started to notice them (1) jack prices as they knew ammo was desired by all and some calibers are harder to get and (2) charge extra for CC sales

              Man, there are so many good deals on the web and here, so many. I recently bought .223 at an average of .25 per round... you will never see that at a gun show. The web allows you to get such a better search range.

              But hey, if the gun shows don't have what you want after paying $12 to get in and $5 parking, you can always buy a replica Rambo knife
              10 +1 in the chamber

              Comment

              • #22
                SB23hater
                Member
                • Apr 2011
                • 270

                I like gun shows. I bring my smartphone with me, compare prices and then haggle like crazy. Warning Dealers sometimes will hate you for trying to ask for a lower prices. Once in awhile you will find something that is rare or off the list. Helpful hint: Find out the transfer fee for the local dealer in the show so you can factor in the total cost of the gun you're buying.

                Comment

                • #23
                  not-fishing
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 2270

                  Depends on the Show and what your looking for.

                  Now if you're talking about the Reno Big Show, my answer is Yes!

                  My first Big Show purchases were a Greek Return CMP Garand for $475 with a muzzle erosion of 1.5 and a gorgeous little semi auto Winchester 22lr.

                  The next year I picked up a great looking LC Smith Field Grade 20ga with Ejectors for $2,000 and a little dickering.

                  You can find overpriced merchandise everywhere but if you know what your looking for and a little negotiating your more likeley to find a nice "score".

                  The smaller shows like Vallejo, Sacramento or Roseville I've been to once and once is enough for me. The Big Show is like visiting Disneyland.
                  Last edited by not-fishing; 06-15-2011, 8:58 AM.
                  Spreading the WORD according to COLT. and Smith, Wesson, Ruger, HK, Sig, High Standard, Browning

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    The War Wagon
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 10294

                    Occasionally...

                    I've gone to some that were hard-core FUDD. I've gone to others, & found great ammo deals, hard-to-find parts, and sold some stuff and made a little money!

                    Gunshows are the ultimate crapshoot, but REMEMBER: a bad day at a gun show, is better than a GREAT day with the "honey-do" list!
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Quinc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 3011

                      Originally posted by glocklover
                      When in other states gun shows are like a wet dream, that takes up several halls.

                      I know, I'm negative.
                      Everything is still over priced at the Reno shows too.

                      Best deal I got last year was an m44 for 100$.
                      Shop Amazon and contribute to CGF!
                      click this link before going to amazon.com
                      http://www.shop42a.com

                      sigpic
                      www.appleseedinfo.org

                      "Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Phantompooper03
                        Member
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 379

                        At the San Diego Crossroads of the West Show I've found some absolutely great deals, mainly on ammo and magazine like somebody else said. I also look for surplus stuff for my bug-out-bag when I'm there too.

                        I usually go with a list of things I'm looking for, so as not to be tempted by so much cool stuff. This helps tremendously.

                        I will also haggle almost everything, the worst they can say is "no".

                        Also, gun shows are great for reloaders. I buy powder there and don't have to pay any shipping or hazmat fees. You can also usually find used reloading equipment, works just as good as the new stuff.

                        1998-2004 USMC 0313, OIF I
                        Fortuna audax iuvat

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          glockmeister
                          Member
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 278

                          There are deals to be had at the guns shows.......on beef jerky.....only if you buy in bulk though. I still go just to browse and fondle.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Bhobbs
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 11851

                            Originally posted by xibunkrlilkidsx
                            decent prices on ammo.

                            lots of UTG china AR stuff.

                            Lots of Over priced guns.. seriously 1300 for an m1 garand?
                            I went over to a booth selling M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, M1903s/03a3s/03a4s, Krags and other US mil surp rifles for 3 or 4 times what they usually go for. I asked the guy why they cost so much and he just looked at me and never really gave me a good answer. He just mumbled about them being rare or something.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              AR15Kimo
                              Member
                              • May 2011
                              • 326

                              I went to my first gun show like 2 weeks ago. (Costa mesa)

                              The complete guns are over priced and there is in fact a lot of Chinese products.

                              Only thing good that caught my attention was ammo and targets.
                              Also getting out of the house is a plus

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                IntoForever
                                CGSSA Associate
                                • Sep 2010
                                • 3891

                                I went and met a few great people, found a few things I needed and spent too much. You need to know pricing and quality as there are a couple of vendors with crap so bad you'd be better off walking the shots in. Sometimes you can get things online for less than there, other times not. Best to take note of who has what price and come back. I needed a replacement magazine and the range was from $20 new to $45 old and in worse shape than the one I needed replaced.
                                With all this "gun control" talk, I've not heard one politician say how they plan on taking guns from criminals, just law abiding Citizens.

                                Originally posted by Nose Nuggets
                                5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
                                Originally posted by pyromensch
                                damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1