Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Please help me identify this Gun barrel

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • F Troop
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 28

    Please help me identify this Gun barrel

    I've had this Gun barrel rolling around in the bottom of my tool box for 30+ years. It appears to be .45 cal. It is about 5" long and over an inch in diameter. It has rifling groves. Has anyone seen any thing like this. Is there any value here?

    F Troop









    Thanks for any input...

    Anybody want to build an AW?
    Last edited by F Troop; 05-11-2011, 8:00 PM.
  • #2
    Tank 57
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 4181

    Unfinished 1911 barrel? Just a guess.

    Comment

    • #3
      G-forceJunkie
      Calguns Addict
      • Jul 2010
      • 6477

      Looks like an unfinished blank to me.

      Comment

      • #4
        MOONDAWG
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 550

        Originally posted by G-forceJunkie
        Looks like an unfinished blank to me.
        .....ditto.
        NULLI SECUNDUS

        Comment

        • #5
          CHS
          Moderator Emeritus
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Jan 2008
          • 11338

          I'm going with a blank. Probably a cut-end from a finished piece since most blanks are not tapered or as short as that one.
          Please read the Calguns Wiki
          Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
          --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

          Comment

          • #6
            CHS
            Moderator Emeritus
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jan 2008
            • 11338

            Does it appear to be chambered, or does the rifling extend from end-to-end?
            Please read the Calguns Wiki
            Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
            --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

            Comment

            • #7
              F Troop
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 28

              Originally posted by CHS
              Does it appear to be chambered, or does the rifling extend from end-to-end?
              No chamber rifling end to end.

              Comment

              • #8
                CHS
                Moderator Emeritus
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Jan 2008
                • 11338

                Originally posted by F Troop
                No chamber rifling end to end.
                Then it's definitely a blank or cut-end from a blank. Chambering is usually the last thing that's done.
                Please read the Calguns Wiki
                Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
                --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

                Comment

                • #9
                  bohoki
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 20826

                  wow almost an inch thick i might be tempted to buy one of those surplus 26mm all steel flare guns and make it fit

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    F Troop
                    Junior Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 28

                    I was told by the person I got it from it was a barrel for a Gatling Gun used in Vietnam on the helicopter " Puff The Magic Dragon ". He had a hole box of them. I don't know how true that is, thats why I was asking. I can't find anything that looks like it...

                    F Troop

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      rero360
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 3926

                      Originally posted by F Troop
                      I was told by the person I got it from it was a barrel for a Gatling Gun used in Vietnam on the helicopter " Puff The Magic Dragon ". He had a hole box of them. I don't know how true that is, thats why I was asking. I can't find anything that looks like it...

                      F Troop
                      Time for some critical thinking, do you think an M134 Gatling gun/ GAU-17 would have 5" barrels? I'll give you a hint

                      and

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1