Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best trigger for a 1911?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • beauregard
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 2117

    Best trigger for a 1911?

    I'd like your opinion on what's the best trigger for a 1911. I have an SA Loaded and though it looks cool to me, the trigger is chunky and is considerably less smooth that that of my Colt Gold Cup.

    What's a good drop-in trigger that I could replace the stock with? I value your experience based opinion.
    Fools don't fit in the boots that I tread in.
  • #2
    SnWnMe
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2007
    • 6897

    When you say chunky and less smooth do you mean it sticks out too much for you (so called "long trigger") and that the serrations bother you?
    Frank Da Tank

    Comment

    • #3
      M. D. Van Norman
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2002
      • 4168

      And are you talking about replacing the trigger itself or about modifying the other fire-control components (hammer, sear, etc.) that affect the feel of the trigger pull?
      Matthew D. Van Norman
      Dancing Giant Sales | Licensed Firearms Dealer | Rainier, WA

      Comment

      • #4
        beauregard
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2007
        • 2117

        Originally posted by SnWnMe
        When you say chunky and less smooth do you mean it sticks out too much for you (so called "long trigger") and that the serrations bother you?
        No.

        It feels heavy and not very crisp when it breaks. The creep feels like metal on metal scraping and sluggish. On the Colt (bone stock trigger) it's velvet smooth up until the very crisp break.

        I realize this is an unfair comparison, a Gold Cup to a Loaded, but I want the Springfield's trigger to feel as good as the Colt's.

        Originally posted by M. D. Van Norman
        And are you talking about replacing the trigger itself or about modifying the other fire-control components (hammer, sear, etc.) that affect the feel of the trigger pull?
        I'm afraid ultimately that's what it will take, but I was hoping to get some ideas from y'all.
        Fools don't fit in the boots that I tread in.

        Comment

        • #5
          SnWnMe
          Calguns Addict
          • Feb 2007
          • 6897

          Yeah crisp 1911 triggers spoil you to the point that you would not have it any other way. However, it takes more than a new trigger to get that crisp, almost nil take up and minimal overtravel feel. You may end up having to work on the mating surfaces of the sear, hammer hooks etc. etc.

          Just to be safe, your best bet is the Springfield Custom Shop. May as well give your gun a long hard look while you're at it to see what else you want changed so you can get everything done in one shot.
          Frank Da Tank

          Comment

          • #6
            beauregard
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2007
            • 2117

            Man, I'm learning the difference between mid range and high end now.
            Fools don't fit in the boots that I tread in.

            Comment

            • #7
              rockman
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 1148

              You would really like the trigger on the SA TRP. I had a SA LOADED and sold it with only 24 rounds down the tube because of the trigger. Best of luck on whatever you decide.
              LIFE IS SHORT,DEATH IS FOREVER,SO RELAX AND ENJOY THE RIDE!

              Comment

              • #8
                M. D. Van Norman
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2002
                • 4168

                Matthew D. Van Norman
                Dancing Giant Sales | Licensed Firearms Dealer | Rainier, WA

                Comment

                • #9
                  Inkman
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 1116

                  Originally posted by beauregard
                  Man, I'm learning the difference between mid range and high end now.
                  You started shooting matches down your way, right? Talk to the people there and try to get in contact with who they think is the best local gunsmith who works on 1911s. There are cheap routes and there are the correct routes to what you want. A knowledgable gunsmith you can meet in person could be the best answer.

                  Al
                  Various 1911s.
                  Some revolvers.
                  Some rifles.
                  Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

                  They see me rollin'
                  They hatin'

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1