Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

There is hope for the recoil sensitive

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Donny1
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 2348

    There is hope for the recoil sensitive

    I have been having trouble with my GF on the issue of recoil. Starting with a shotgun she owns, which I understand. A 5.5 lb o/u that does hit pretty hard. She likes to shoot clays and we are going to swap that for a semi-auto. She has tried a couple and is ok with them as compared to the o/u.

    Handguns have been a different story. She has been firm on the fact she doesn't like revolvers. Maybe my fault as I may have stated at some point they are the best guns for women for SD because there is no decision making or confusion when it a SD situation, just point and shoot. That may have come off as insulting . She has tried a few 9mm's, a very smooth .45 that I think has less recoil than the 9mm's and she just put them down and said they were too much for her. No problem, time to back away. We have since been shooting .22 rifles and my Ruger MK III. I figure the more time she has behind a pistol that doesn't turn her off the better.

    So Yesterday we went out to shoot a little. I'm getting a few rounds in with my 5 round S&W .38 spl with a 2" barrel. This gun, even with the Pachmayr grips can get uncomfortable after about 30-40 rounds. It has a lot of muzzle flip, recoil and is hard to stay on target with without some practice. We had gone over the operation of the gun recently because we are now living together and it is in the house so I want her to know how to use it of course. I was pleasantly surprised when she asked if she could shoot it. Now, she had shot this once before at an indoor range a couple of years ago. She fired 2 rounds and said no more. This time she shot 20-25 rounds. A little frustrated at the accuracy of her shooting but by the end she was getting on the 8" paper plates we were shooting at about 25'.

    Needless to say I was very pleased. I want her to eventually be able to handle a 9mm with confidence and I think we are headed in the right direction. In my opinion this .38 is a lot more of a handful than any 9mm.

    It was a good day!
  • #2
    Ninja45
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 624

    The more she shoots, the more she will be comfortable, and the less sensitive to recoil! if you are shooting indoors, double up on her hearing protection also. My wife started with .22 and gradually work herself up to .44 magnums (with hunting loads). Recoil can be tamed!

    Comment

    • #3
      meaty-btz
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2010
      • 8980

      Shoot and Shoot often, recoil control in handguns and long guns use muscle groups in new and innovative ways that confuse your body. Over time you grow accustomed.... the bad thing is I found after not shooting for an extended period you seem to lose the "tone"... bleh.

      what Ninja45 said: Recoil can be Tamed!
      ...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.

      Comment

      • #4
        j1133s
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2007
        • 1343

        Good to hear. I'll share a story w/ something on recoil too..

        My wife also impressed me when she passed her CCW test (this was when we were in another state and the CCW test consisted of a state police shooting test w/ lowered passing score, she actually shot a score better than many cops). But the good part is in the details.

        Basically my wife is anti guns and had only been to the range 2 times (once 7yr ago and once just before her CCW test). She decided to get a CCW only so that she's legal if I'm not in the car and there's a loaded gun there. I.e. she is still anti gun, so not much enthusiaim on her part.

        I had a Glock 34 modified to shoot super soft rounds and we tested it the week prior to her CCW test. I was planning to make more rounds before her test but didn't get around to. So I figured that usually the CCW starts w/ a classroom first and the written test then the shooting test. And I told her I'll have ammo ready after with 2 hrs of her class start.

        When I went to deliver her ammo, she motioned for me leave. I was a bit confused but I left anyway. Later she came home and tells me she passed w/ this score.

        Apparently her class had the shooting test first because the range was reserved in the afternoon for something else so she had to buy factory ammo at the range to use. This is normal pressure ammo combined w/ soft springs = more felt recoil.

        But there's a funny part too. Before the shooting test, the instructor askes everybody what gun thay are going to shoot. He asked my wife and she say "some black gun". He than asked her is it a glock? and since that's the only brand she knows she said yes... even though she doesn't know the gun was really a Glock.

        I should clarify that my wife's anti gun only applies to herself and myself in the way that she doesn't want to own guns and she wants me to quit shooting. She actually supports gun rights.

        Comment

        • #5
          axhoaxho
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jun 2009
          • 10085

          My wife has a FN Five-seveN, and she would recommend it to any ladies. The 5.7x28mm rounds have very friendly recoil, shoots very straight, and with EA ammos it should be adequae as a HD pistol. The plinking rounds like the SS197SR are widely available and the price is not too bad (about $22 per 50 at Midwayusa.)

          Hope you can find a Five-seveN from range rental or from friends, and let your girlfriend gives it a try.

          Regards,

          Comment

          • #6
            Phillips
            Junior Member
            • Aug 2010
            • 22

            Glock 17C with some light target loads would be very soft on recoil

            Comment

            • #7
              Grumpyoldretiredcop
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2008
              • 6437

              My wife doesn't shoot frequently and is recoil sensitive. Her favorite handgun was (until I had to sell it) a S&W 25-2 revolver in .45 ACP. She said it didn't feel any different than shooting a .22 LR. For her, the grip size was the only issue.
              I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

              Comment

              • #8
                eaglemike
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Jan 2008
                • 3959

                Grip size and shape makes a huge difference in shooting comfort. Pachmayer might not be the best for a S&W revolver. I've found that a well shaped wood grip can be more comfortable than some rubber grips.
                all the best,
                Mike
                There are some people that it's just not worth engaging.

                It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?

                Comment

                • #9
                  Donny1
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 2348

                  Originally posted by eaglemike
                  Grip size and shape makes a huge difference in shooting comfort. Pachmayer might not be the best for a S&W revolver. I've found that a well shaped wood grip can be more comfortable than some rubber grips.
                  all the best,
                  Mike
                  The original would grips are not tolerable. It's a 20 year old pistol and the grip is a great fit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Donny1
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 2348

                    Originally posted by Phillips
                    Glock 17C with some light target loads would be very soft on recoil
                    Glock has been recommended as well as M&P and Beretta storm, all said to have very manageable recoil. We will be looking to rent or otherwise try some of these in the near future.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      OliveCookieMonsta
                      Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 423

                      Proper grip hold and range time are the best solutions for recoil sensitivity... More shooting and training is always a good idea. Have fun good luck
                      Last edited by OliveCookieMonsta; 11-01-2010, 10:20 PM.
                      Shooting things makes me Smile

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        norcal77
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 4231

                        Are you shooting +P ammo? If you are try some standard loads...+P in a snub can be quite uncomfortable for some people..
                        NRA Lifetime member
                        CRPA Lifetime member
                        Second Amendment Foundation Life member

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Donny1
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2010
                          • 2348

                          Originally posted by norcal77
                          Are you shooting +P ammo? If you are try some standard loads...+P in a snub can be quite uncomfortable for some people..
                          No +P's. And I keep low recoil Federal HydraShok 110 grain loads in it at home.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            jshoebot
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • 1857

                            Also look into an XD9. My girl loves hers!
                            Any opinions expressed in my posts are not necessarily the opinions of any organizations in which I am a member.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              norcal77
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 4231

                              Originally posted by Donny1
                              No +P's. And I keep low recoil Federal HydraShok 110 grain loads in it at home.
                              Hmm...what kind of Smith do you have, a Chiefs special?

                              Try getting a .357 snub and use the same rounds..much heavier and it will absorb the recoil more, just a thought.
                              NRA Lifetime member
                              CRPA Lifetime member
                              Second Amendment Foundation Life member

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1