Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Gun/guns on a car camping trip??

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Wikma Flintstone
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 66

    Gun/guns on a car camping trip??

    I am about to take off for a few months of car camping in the West and Southwest. I will be traveling in my van. I was thinking about taking a firearm along. I have my choice of about anything from a small derringer to a 375 H&H mag. Handguns, shotguns, rifles. Space is a definite issue, as is safe storage when I am away from the vehicle. Ability to load the firearm quickly, since most states require unloaded and locked when in a vehicle. The firearm is for protection from 4 and 2 legged animals. I will be Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada and California. So, without too many zombie and Tyrannosaurus scenarios, I'd like to hear opinions and advice.
    Thanks
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
  • #2
    Silverlake223
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 795

    Sounds like a cool trip! I would bring my Remington 870. Versatile, less evil features for noisy cops, get just about any job done.
    Quod sumus hoc eritis

    Comment

    • #3
      dadoody
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Oct 2005
      • 14692

      Yeah, I'd bring a shotgun in the trunk for a just in case senario, but you'd be better served with Bear Spray and a buoy knife.
      FUS RO DAH! ==== ┻━┻

      Comment

      • #4
        knucklehead0202
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2008
        • 4087

        a shotgun is a very versatile and also quick to load firearm. slugs for big critters. 00 buck for slightly smaller, on down to birdshot. you can do anything with a shotgun, then you only have to bring 1. .375 H&H is probably a bit much. i'd personally stick with the shotgun.

        Comment

        • #5
          Rob454
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Feb 2006
          • 11254

          Are you gonna go hunting or is it simply for protection? If you just want something for protection get a handgun. Easy to store does not take up much room and you can hide it under a bunch of stuff if you go in to eat somewhere and are afraid of someone breaking in your van. You can get a metal carry box and cable lock it to the seat bracket.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1