Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Suggestions for moving a big gun safe

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • S&W500
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 4

    Suggestions for moving a big gun safe

    Hey, I've been a member of CalGuns for a long time, but it's been a year or so since I've been on here (hence I couldn't remember my password etc and had to open a new account)

    Anyway... the question I have (and I have unsuccessfully tried searching) is that I am moving from Lancaster up to San Jose and will be needing to move a large gun safe (about 1300lbs). I had enough trouble finding someone to move it just 50 miles last time I moved. In the past I have looked for companies that move safes longer distances and was unable to find one. Any suggestions? It actually amazed me that it's been so difficult finding someone to move this thing. Lots of people move and lots of people have large safes! So this has to be a relatively common event.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • #2
    darksands
    Senior Member
    • May 2008
    • 710

    That's a really large gun safe. For 1300lbs I would be calling in some heavy machinery or professionals to do that job.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell on a BBC broadcast, April 4, 1942

    "Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." ---Wyatt Earp

    Comment

    • #3
      RedFord150
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2009
      • 5665

      If you are renting a truck, can you call a 'Safe Mover' at each end just to load and unload and get in and out of the houses?
      Lancaster to San Jose is several hundred miles. The mileage and travel time is probably most of the cost. This might save you some $.
      Make sure the truck you rent has enough payload capacity to handle the heavy safe. I would ask the rental agency for exact payload capacity.
      Good luck.
      God Did Not Create All Men Equal, Colonel Colt Did.

      Comment

      • #4
        Casual_Shooter
        Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Sep 2006
        • 11741

        This may come down to hiring a safe company to move/ pack and then ship your safe to your new location. Then hire a local safe company to install it in your new place.
        Guns, dogs and home alarms. Opponents are all of a sudden advocates once their personal space is violated.

        "Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"



        Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?

        Comment

        • #5
          S&W500
          Junior Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 4

          Originally posted by Casual_Shooter
          This may come down to hiring a safe company to move/ pack and then ship your safe to your new location. Then hire a local safe company to install it in your new place.
          I've pretty much decided to hire someone to do the move (don't want to mess with this beast myself). One of the things I was hoping someone might have a suggestion for is a company willing to move a save that far. In the past I found it very hard to find a company willing to move the safe more than 100 miles (if that far).

          It will be an 'easy' move, for someone who knows what they are doing (and have the right equipment, since it is from a flat garage into another flat garage.

          Comment

          • #6
            SJgunguy24
            I need a LIFE!!
            • May 2008
            • 14849

            If all else fails you can contact Sheedy Crane. They move heavy equipment as do most of the crane and rigging contractors is what you should search for.
            There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
            The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
            The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
            The others, well......they just never learn.

            "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
            Patrick Henry.

            Comment

            • #7
              Casual_Shooter
              Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Sep 2006
              • 11741

              Originally posted by S&W500
              I've pretty much decided to hire someone to do the move (don't want to mess with this beast myself). One of the things I was hoping someone might have a suggestion for is a company willing to move a save that far. In the past I found it very hard to find a company willing to move the safe more than 100 miles (if that far).

              It will be an 'easy' move, for someone who knows what they are doing (and have the right equipment, since it is from a flat garage into another flat garage.
              There is a safe guy (or used to be) here on the forum. I believe his user name is SFKen. You might contact him to see if he can handle this.

              Coincidentally, I'm having a 1600lb safe being delivered/ installed this morning by The Safe Outlet (also a member here). They are in Temecula (So. Cal), but perhaps they know someone. Ryan or Curtis are the guys you want to talk to there.


              EDIT: The member's name is KenSFO - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=12653
              Last edited by Casual_Shooter; 08-26-2010, 9:46 AM.
              Guns, dogs and home alarms. Opponents are all of a sudden advocates once their personal space is violated.

              "Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"



              Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?

              Comment

              • #8
                lugar
                Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 444

                When I was younger I was a mover and occasionally came across safes and heavy tool chests and equipment. These items were no big deal. When hiring a mover just let them know about it.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Greg-Dawg
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 7793

                  How did you get it there at the first place? Just do what you did before.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    G-forceJunkie
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 6475

                    If you don't find someone to do it in one shot, you can probaly find a "machinery mover" in the yellow pages that will pull it out, and lay it down on a pallet. Then any freight company can transport it. Then call a safe mover at the new house to install.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Sinister_1
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 815

                      Eat your Wheaties!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        cannon
                        In Memoriam
                        • Aug 2008
                        • 8589

                        Call Dean safe in Arleta. They always move mine. No hassle, damage or grief.
                        ^^ Said by some lunatic on the internet

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Kodemonkey
                          • Jun 2010
                          • 2904

                          You need to be careful if it is a high security safe with glass plate relocker on it. Someone drops the safe even a small distance and you are hosed (not to mention you could do significant concrete damage if it was dropped).

                          I would use a safe mover, or at least have them do it at the end like someone else suggested.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            dwh100
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • 955

                            Originally posted by chainsaw
                            ...the moving can be done by rolling the safe on pieces of PVC pipe (the same way the pyramids were built)...
                            I wasn't aware of Ancient Egyptians had PVC pipe! Did they use it for irrigation too?
                            Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.
                            - Ptolemy, c.150 AD

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Rob454
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 11254

                              Can you leave it at the current house and buy a new one? Im assuming you are selling the place and moving to a new one? Or is it a rental? then nevermind

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1