Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Re-nickeling a revolver

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • INJUNTOM
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 1536

    Re-nickeling a revolver

    Anyone had it done? Some of the research I did resulted in questionable quality when being redone.

    Approx cost?
    My house, garages, and business protected by ADT alarms.

    Just putting it out there..
  • #2
    NapaCountyShooter
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 2417

    Hard chrome it instead. Tougher finish, same great shine.
    Jonah

    Comment

    • #3
      INJUNTOM
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2009
      • 1536

      What about getting the old stuff off?
      My house, garages, and business protected by ADT alarms.

      Just putting it out there..

      Comment

      • #4
        bruss01
        Calguns Addict
        • Feb 2006
        • 5336

        Nickel plating is frequently done as a prerequisite to the chroming process, to improve bonding with the steel. Unless the nickel is flaking off (shoddy job the first time around) and is simply wearing in places, they may just put a little more nickel on to cover the bare spots and chrome over the top of it. I did a little amateur plating at one point, not something I recommend.
        The one thing worse than defeat is surrender.

        Comment

        • #5
          elsolo
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2006
          • 4798

          Nickel plating is stripped off steel chemically.
          Brownell's sells the chemicals to remove nickel as well as plate nickel.

          I don't know why the results would be questionable on a re-plate job compared to a new-plate job; I image success is primarily determined by surface prep of the steel and the plater's experience.

          Techplate in Anaheim is a good plating shop that does guns.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1