Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

On the Ground in Iraq

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    jtv3062
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 2770

    USMC issues the armys m24. sounds fishy.
    Last edited by jtv3062; 11-17-2005, 8:32 AM.
    Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your Honour
    Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8






    159

    Comment

    • #17
      Mike Searson
      Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 451

      Originally posted by jtv3062
      USMC issues the armys m24. sounds fishy.
      Extremely fishy, brother.

      Comment

      • #18
        m1371
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 1118

        Mike S -

        Can I get a copy of the info you have?

        mtaylor1371 [AT] gmail [DOT] com

        Much appreciated.

        m1371
        Learning without thought is labor lost, thought without learning is perilous. -Foamy

        Comment

        • #19
          Forever-A-Soldier
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 786

          Briefly, I can give the following from our experience here.

          5.56mm from M4s can kill with one shot. Have personally witnessed this on a number of occasions. This is using M855 rounds. These were also "center mass" hits. However, these hits are from close range (50-100 meters.)

          Our M14 are not ex-Marine issue but apparently have been in the Army system for some time. None are accurized.

          M249s (SAW- 5.56mm) perform fine over here as do M240B (7.62mm - MPMG).

          9mm Berettas have trouble with sand and crappy after-market mags. Shotguns (M500 Mossbergs) and Berettas need DAILY/After Every Mission cleaning.

          9mm Ammo. No engagements with 9mm but I know ball ammo isn't the best choice but what we are allowed to use. No .45s available for use.

          As for using sights, all our guys have ACOGs or M68 (RedDots). I personally have a 3x9 MilDot scope on my M4 and have been more than pleased with it at both CQB and longer distance use. And yes, I have used my "sights" along with proper breathing, trigger pull, etc. Iron-Sights however, I'm not a fan of after my experience here.

          F.A.S. Out
          (In Iraq; but not much longer!)
          Last edited by Forever-A-Soldier; 11-18-2005, 5:20 AM.
          "God, Family, Country"; Patriot; Thorn in the side of Anti-Gunners, Communists & Liberals since 1981.
          Cold War Vet (U.S. Army Infantry: 1984-1988); GWOT & Iraqi War Vet (CAANG 2002-2008 - Infantry; OIF III)
          NRA LIFE Member
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #20
            saki302
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2005
            • 7191

            Hmm.. I wonder if you guys can get away with Federal EFMJ rounds over there- they're not hollow point, but look like FMJ and expand upon compression on an object (bad guy's innards!).

            They look like FMJ anyhow, until fired

            9mm is not bad with good JHP rounds, but wounding potential of 9mm FMJ is not as good as .45 FMJ- you can buy .45 FMJ rounds in a flat-front configuration too for a wadcutter effect too.
            9mm fmj tends to just grease right through things- great penetration, but not much disruption. I've seen gel tests where it looks like an icepick wound. The .45 still leaves a channel in FMJ, but it's much larger. I can see why there is a push for lightweight rifle-like rounds (5.7mm) in pistols if JHP isn't allowed- it accomplishes similar damage thorugh fragmenting high velocity FMJ bullets..


            -Dave

            Comment

            • #21
              pidooma
              Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 268

              Originally posted by Mike Searson
              I've emailed about 15 copies of the report...anyone want to share their thoughts?


              I think one of the most interesting items in the report was the perceptions of local Iraqis on having a pistol vs a rifle pointed at them by American soldiers. The impression being that the locals felt they would more likely be shot by a soldier pointing a pistol at them vs. a soldier pointing a rifle at them. I wonder what that's all about.

              Comment

              • #22
                Mike Searson
                Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 451

                Originally posted by pidooma
                I think one of the most interesting items in the report was the perceptions of local Iraqis on having a pistol vs a rifle pointed at them by American soldiers. The impression being that the locals felt they would more likely be shot by a soldier pointing a pistol at them vs. a soldier pointing a rifle at them. I wonder what that's all about.
                Baathist officers could execute people on the spot...they happened to be partial to carrying pistols as opposed to AKs.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1