Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Prescription Eyeglasses and Shooting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rekrab
    Valar Dohaeris
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • May 2009
    • 5534

    Prescription Eyeglasses and Shooting

    I've had the same eye glasses since before I started shooting a little over a year ago. Now I'm really due for some new glasses and wanted to know if the collective wisdom on Calguns can yield me any suggestions for a new pair.

    Is there anything I should be looking at in terms of lenses? I avoid the glass lenses because they tend to be heavier. Is there anything specific I should ask or let the doctor know?

    I don't even have an eye doctor at the moment, but I'll be needing a new pair quick-like because of how terribly jacked up my old ones are. The lenses are literally falling out of the frame and the anti-scratch coating is peeling off.
    Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

    Big Ammo Sale!
    Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale
  • #2
    Ruiner
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2006
    • 1279

    Originally posted by Rekrab
    I've had the same eye glasses since before I started shooting a little over a year ago. Now I'm really due for some new glasses and wanted to know if the collective wisdom on Calguns can yield me any suggestions for a new pair.

    Is there anything I should be looking at in terms of lenses? I avoid the glass lenses because they tend to be heavier. Is there anything specific I should ask or let the doctor know?

    I don't even have an eye doctor at the moment, but I'll be needing a new pair quick-like because of how terribly jacked up my old ones are. The lenses are literally falling out of the frame and the anti-scratch coating is peeling off.
    Interested in this as well as I'm in the same boat.

    Comment

    • #3
      Rekrab
      Valar Dohaeris
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • May 2009
      • 5534

      And, just in case anyone is thinking this: contacts are not an option.
      Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

      Big Ammo Sale!
      Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

      Comment

      • #4
        kmca
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 2371

        Look for an optician that shoots. They'll know exactly your requirements. As for the glasses themselves, Decot makes a good lens, but it can get expensive. I used to shoot a lot of trap, so that required several pairs of different colors. With pistol, rifle and shotgun shooting I use NYX with the prescription insert (I have a wide head). It's a good system. If I were to do it over, I would get the glasses that have 2 separate lenses instead of the one. The flaw with the one lens is, the cutout for attachment to the frame is the weak point and if you're not careful, that's where it will break.

        Comment

        • #5
          mjsweims
          Senior Member
          • May 2009
          • 807

          I've been shooting a bit longer than you I guess. When I first started I didn't wear glasses. I began wearing glasses about 35 years ago and the plastic ones were too expensive so I went with glass. Now I have to use tri-focals - they're plastic with lenses that change their tint in the sunlight. Whatever you are comfortable with should work. BTW I don't use the side guards.
          Jack

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            Cnynrat
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2008
            • 2221

            You might want to consider polycarbonate lenses - basically a harder more durable plastic. Pretty sure it is the most shatterproof of the 3 common lens materials (glass, plastic, polycarbonate). It also makes for a light lens, especially compared to glass. The downside is that polycarbonate scratches pretty easily, so you need to make sure you clean them carefully.

            Talk to your doctor or optician and get their recommendation.
            Dave

            Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

            Comment

            • #7
              -hanko
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Jul 2002
              • 14174

              I'm using plastic lenses with a non-reflective coating...had 'em 9 months, not particularly careful with them, but no scratches.

              Find a doctor who shoots (mine was a state silhouette champ for a year or two)...he recommended bringing in both a long gun and pistol, which I did. He measured from my right eye to the FS on all of them. Rx is perfect.

              -hanko
              True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

              Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

              Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

              A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

              Comment

              • #8
                UserM4
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2010
                • 1687

                ESS Crossbow. They're ballistics rated safety goggles that come in smoked and clear in a kit or smoked, clear, and yellow in a kit. They're compatible with their Rx inserts that you can take to your local optometrist to have your prescription filled. So if you're indoors or shooting in low light, clip the Rx insert into the clear or yellow goggles and in daylight transfer the insert into the smoked goggles.



                MUCH cheaper, maybe 1/3rd the price of my Oakley Radar w/Rx lens.
                While we're here arguing about the latest high tech running shoes, there's some Kenyan out there running barefoot. Guess who's gonna win the marathon?

                Comment

                • #9
                  Rekrab
                  Valar Dohaeris
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • May 2009
                  • 5534

                  Haha, OK, so who knows a doctor in Orange County that shoots?

                  Good advice all around. Thanks guys.
                  Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

                  Big Ammo Sale!
                  Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Woodworker2
                    Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 429

                    Shooting glasses

                    If your local Doctor is not aware of the requirements for shooting glasses, there are several articles by Dr. Norman Wong here: http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html He has a practice in San Francisco and knows his stuff (being a Bullseye shooter helps too).

                    If it is a matter of just finding another pair of glasses, most welding supply companies have single power safety glasses (whole lense, not just the bottom). One brand is either "MagSafe" or "Mag-Safe", and they sell for about $15. http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...ety-glass.html
                    Last edited by Woodworker2; 06-04-2010, 4:05 PM.
                    sigpic Same boy, better toys

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Jonathan Doe

                      I went to the Kaiser Permanente and had my eyes examined. The doctor totally understood the requirements of the shooter. I even had my gun in my hand to demonstrate what I needed, and the doctor was cool about it.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        glockman19
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2007
                        • 10486

                        If you qualify I recommend Lasik.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          bigwhitetruck
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2009
                          • 628

                          Before I started wearing contacts, the lenses on my prescription glasses were always scratch resistent and shatter proof.
                          sigpic

                          "Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men." - General George S. Patton Jr.

                          Feedback: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1890506

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1