Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

do you get nervous at gun ranges ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DareGrills
    Banned
    • May 2010
    • 4

    do you get nervous at gun ranges ?

    I have to be honest and say I dont feel totally comforable at gun ranges when other people are shooting. I still go but not as much as I used to.

    I always prefer to shoot alone in the open desert since California is just perfect for that. Sometimes though I go to the indoor ranges in LA and maybe an outdoor shooting spot in the local hills.

    I just cant feel comfortable though. I just dont feel safe not knowing who I am shooting around and if they are mentally stable or if they practice safe firearms handling and shooting.

    It seems in the last few years there has been a HUGE increase in the number of girls at shooting ranges with their boyfriends or something. They are usually young and the girls clearly dont appreciate how dangerous the guns are and they think its cute to act stupid. It seems like they are just shooting to get a pic or two to put on Myspace for something.
  • #2
    five.five-six
    CGN Contributor
    • May 2006
    • 34928

    yes, when I have put the first few through the same hole, I get nervous that I may flub one


    no mulligans in target shooting

    Comment

    • #3
      bigthaiboy
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • 4795

      I got nervous the one time I've eaten in a Popeye's Chicken & Biscuits. There was a .22 size bullet hole in the window next to where I was sitting. Never felt nervous going to the range, though.

      Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

      Comment

      • #4
        wilit
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2005
        • 5213

        I don't typically like going to ranges where they rent guns. Those places tend to attract people who don't know squat about safe handling and you see all sorts of unsafe stuff.
        "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
        "You have to be willing to swing your nuts like a deadblow hammer to put these jackasses in their place." - AJAX22
        "The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          Dr Pete
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 757

          Your job is to be the instructor at that point.

          Be polite, they always are positive and realize the mistake made and appreciate the correction.

          Comment

          • #6
            Dr. Peter Venkman
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • 4899

            Only when around idiots, then I leave.
            sigpic
            "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
            Originally posted by berto
            You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.

            Comment

            • #7
              trickyvic
              Senior Member
              • May 2006
              • 1239

              I keep my peepers open and point any behavior that might be unsafe to the RM. I also don't visit ranges that rent firearms.

              Comment

              • #8
                Rob454
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Feb 2006
                • 11254

                Originally posted by Dr Pete
                Your job is to be the instructor at that point.

                Be polite, they always are positive and realize the mistake made and appreciate the correction.
                There is a reason why I go to the desert or rent private ranges.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Sajedene
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 1889

                  I'm one of those girls at the shooting range with their boyfriend. I drag him there with my own gun and my camera because it's fun to document things I love.

                  I guess I understand why you'd be nervous. Yes, there are plenty out there who need to be properly educated when it comes to handling firearms. If I see the opportunity to do so, I step up to the challenge. It can be done in a nice way. But at the same time, I welcome the idea that more people and especially that more girls are getting to experience shooting a gun. It is not something to fear but it is something to enjoy and respect.

                  Random Thoughts of a Cereal Kind.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Bill Carson
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 3574

                    I always feel slightly nervous when at the range whether it is indoor or outdoor and even if I am by myself. I mean you do have a deadly weapon in your hand.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Dr. Peter Venkman
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 4899

                      Originally posted by Rob454
                      There is a reason why I go to the desert or rent private ranges.
                      I never knew there were so many experts.

                      Originally posted by Sajedene
                      I'm one of those girls at the shooting range with their boyfriend. I drag him there with my own gun and my camera because it's fun to document things I love.

                      I guess I understand why you'd be nervous. Yes, there are plenty out there who need to be properly educated when it comes to handling firearms. If I see the opportunity to do so, I step up to the challenge. It can be done in a nice way. But at the same time, I welcome the idea that more people and especially that more girls are getting to experience shooting a gun. It is not something to fear but it is something to enjoy and respect.
                      You must be a victim of the "all the guys at the range turn into firearm instructors" phenomenon.
                      Last edited by Dr. Peter Venkman; 05-12-2010, 11:23 PM.
                      sigpic
                      "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
                      Originally posted by berto
                      You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ZirconJohn
                        Rattlesnake Hunter
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 10376

                        It's not the gun range per say makes me nervous. What makes me nervous, every time, when I go to renew my CCW. I hate to say this..., I keep my peripheral vision on 100% active monitor of the shooters on both sides of me... at least two or three down.

                        Point is, you never know who is a noob... they always got a few noobies or two... or three...!

                        And if I can get it, I request the instructor to put me on the end... far left or far right. That way I only have one side to watch!

                        So to answer your question... gun range is cool when they just a few shooters on benches etc... I watch them as well - they cool, but not like the always dangerously unpredictable CCW refresher!

                        I got this one story... you would NOT believe me if'n I tell'ya...!
                        .
                        "A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing" -- Jessamyn West
                        "Only God has the touch to create these magnificent rattlesnakes and their signature greatness in nature" -- unknown
                        .
                        ......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          shinbone
                          Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 281

                          I avoid shooting on weekends unless Im the first one there bright and early. The casual crowd are a bit rowdy and that breaks up my concentration.. Weekdays are the best.. Youll get the more experience crowd there.
                          Rails and beavertails = business up front and party in the back.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Sajedene
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 1889

                            Originally posted by Dr. Peter Venkman
                            You must be a victim of the "all the guys at the range turn into firearm instructors" phenomenon.
                            Eh. I am not one to be messed with. If I need help, I will ask, but I can take care of myself.

                            Random Thoughts of a Cereal Kind.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              patriot_man
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 2640

                              Never.... until someone swept my head.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1