Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

California handgun import law

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GatorHunter
    Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 343

    California handgun import law

    Hello,
    I have lived in california for about 1 year and 8 months I can already legaly purchase guns but was wondering if I can bring my handgun from where I use to live back with me and register it or am I better off leaving it where it lay?

    I was wondering if anyone has ever done this and I dont want to fill out the doj form and then a swat team show up at my house...... So please let me know if you have an idea?? Thanks,
    -Gator
  • #2
    M. D. Van Norman
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2002
    • 4168

    Matthew D. Van Norman
    Dancing Giant Sales | Licensed Firearms Dealer | Rainier, WA

    Comment

    • #3
      GatorHunter
      Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 343

      yea but it says before 60 days and they know I am already here.....

      Comment

      • #4
        choprzrul
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2009
        • 6551

        Isn't that 60 days refer to submitting the paperwork within 60 days of bringing the handgun to CA?

        Comment

        • #5
          gunn
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2007
          • 1536

          Originally posted by choprzrul
          Isn't that 60 days refer to submitting the paperwork within 60 days of bringing the handgun to CA?
          When I last called the CAL DOJ, it was 60 days from when you brought the gun into CA. Since you were already the owner prior to moving here and you are bringing your own possession from out of state into the state yourself, there's no issue with just self-registering it and no need for an FFL to be involved. I dealt with the same issue last year bringing back a pistol with me from TX. It was a P38 so all my mags were <10rds.

          (Don't forget that part.) If you just moved into the state last year, the reasons for you to be in legal possession of hicap mags is slim to none aside from being LEO/military w/ the appropriate paperwork. Well, you could have been a legal resident prior to 2000, found one in the woods, or bought one from an armored car company but I seriously doubt any of these defenses would stand up to very much legal scrutiny.



          -g
          Play it Forward Thread: Share with your Fellow Calgunners by Giving Something for FREE and Take Something you Need for FREE!

          Comment

          • #6
            GatorHunter
            Member
            • Dec 2008
            • 343

            hahaha gunn thanks alot!!! I am going to try and see what happens if you hear about some one being attacked for no reason they came to get me...... My gun is legal in the state and I dont intend on bringing mags...

            Comment

            • #7
              Mssr. Eleganté
              Blue Blaze Irregular
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Oct 2005
              • 10401

              You'll be fine. The law specifically says that "bringing a handgun into this state" is what starts the 60 day clock.

              On or after January 1, 1998, within 60 days of bringing a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person into this state, a personal handgun importer shall do one of the following:
              (i) Forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report prescribed by the department including information concerning that individual and a description of the firearm in question.
              (ii) Sell or transfer the firearm in accordance with the provisions of subdivision (d) or in accordance with the provisions of an exemption from subdivision (d).
              (iii) Sell or transfer the firearm to a dealer licensed pursuant to Section 12071.
              (iv) Sell or transfer the firearm to a sheriff or police department.
              Even if you had already brought the handguns into California and hadn't registered them within the 60 days you would still be protected. The law also says you can't get into trouble for registering your handguns late if they only found out about the violation because of you sending in the registration form late.

              Paragraphs (2) and (3) shall not apply to a person who reports his or her ownership of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person after the applicable grace period specified in paragraph (2) or (3) expires if evidence of that violation arises only as the result of the person submitting the report described in paragraph (2) or (3).
              Last edited by Mssr. Eleganté; 04-15-2010, 8:56 PM.
              __________________

              "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1