Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Can we have separate gun and long gun sections?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • audihenry
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 2909

    Can we have separate gun and long gun sections?

    Guys,

    I started a similar thread a few months ago and got mixed replies. I love this place, and buying and selling here is one of the biggest draws for me. However, with more members and more for sale listings, it has been getting ridiculously difficult to wade through hundreds of ads to find JUST guns or JUST rifles. For any of you here long enough to recall, a previous split was made to separate parts kit and ammo (If I recall correctly) and now we have a better system and one that's easier for both buyers and sellers.

    The upsides far outweigh the downsides. We don't need anything fancier than "Long Gun" and "Hand Gun" sections to make the user experience a little bit easier.
    34
    Yes, it would make life SO much easier for buyers and sellers!
    0%
    12
    No, I am afraid of change and would rather struggle with the current system!
    0%
    22
  • #2
    i1800collect
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 1814

    i wouldn't be opposed to a simple "private handgun sales" and "private long gun sales" split.

    Comment

    • #3
      Merc1138
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Feb 2009
      • 19742

      I'd rather see it stay in one section and require people to tag topics with an area code. If I'm looking for X, I also don't mind running across a deal for Y. However, I get sick of seeing a deal, clicking a link and then it's in san diego when I'm in the east bay.

      Comment

      • #4
        berto
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2005
        • 7723

        How about separate shotgun and rifle or semi auto and revolver? How about separate sections for maker, caliber, finish, barrel length, etc? Where does it end? This is a solution in search of a problem.
        "There are no outdoor sports as graceful as throwing stones at a dictatorship." Ai WeiWei

        Comment

        • #5
          ke6guj
          Moderator
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Nov 2003
          • 23725

          I vote NO, even though I don't agree with the reasons you gave for a NO answer.
          Jack



          Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

          No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

          Comment

          • #6
            Clinton
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 890

            I like see everything in one place because I'm usually just browsing anyway. It would be handy to have the location in the thread topic so I'll stop getting excited about something that's 500 miles away.
            Last edited by Clinton; 04-13-2010, 10:05 PM.
            "CGF, so powerful we must be the NRA"

            - Gene Hoffman

            Comment

            • #7
              trapshot68
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2007
              • 1082

              what about combined threads? not going to work.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                DVSmith
                Cantankerous old coot
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Dec 2007
                • 3702

                No, I am metathesiophobic.

                Comment

                • #9
                  RANDO
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2008
                  • 2460

                  we should give WTT and WTS ads there own home

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    berto
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 7723

                    Originally posted by jverham
                    it ends with handguns and long guns. A shotgun is a long gun.
                    Until more people clamor for needless change that suits their needs. What if I want a separate sales forum for Glock fo-tays for sale in Oakland because looking through everything is so taxing and a waste of my time?
                    "There are no outdoor sports as graceful as throwing stones at a dictatorship." Ai WeiWei

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      audihenry
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 2909

                      Originally posted by ke6guj
                      I vote NO, even though I don't agree with the reasons you gave for a NO answer.
                      The reason for "NO" was obviously tongue-in-cheek, but why would you vote no?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        wilit
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 5213

                        I like the idea, but I think it's going to create more work for the mods. People post in the wrong forums and don't follow the for sale rules as it is.
                        "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
                        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
                        "You have to be willing to swing your nuts like a deadblow hammer to put these jackasses in their place." - AJAX22
                        "The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          audihenry
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2008
                          • 2909

                          Originally posted by berto
                          Until more people clamor for needless change that suits their needs. What if I want a separate sales forum for Glock fo-tays for sale in Oakland because looking through everything is so taxing and a waste of my time?
                          I hope you're being sarcastic...

                          If I'm looking for a rifle, I can much more easily find it if it had its own section. Ditto for pistols.

                          The following people win out:

                          Buyers (quickly find what they need and buy)
                          Sellers (more effectively sell their stuff without being lost in the clutter)
                          CalGuns (less server time devoted to browsing, happier members, and consequently more donations to keep it going)

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            racky
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 1044

                            i'd like to see a split section. but what do i know? i got less than 200 posts and an itrader of 3.
                            but as a boss of mine once told me, "there's nothing better than a fresh set of eyes." then he pointed at a spot on the white wall and said "you see that spot, everyone here gets so used to seeing it that they're immune to it and it never gets cleaned. but a new set of eyes would say 'wow! look at that spot on the wall' and clean it." that next day i was painting that wall. gotta love the military . anyways, sometimes change is good.
                            Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by SnWnMe
                            The 45 ACP trail eventually leads to 1911 ownership.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              berto
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 7723

                              Originally posted by audihenry
                              I hope you're being sarcastic...

                              If I'm looking for a rifle, I can much more easily find it if it had its own section. Ditto for pistols.

                              The following people win out:

                              Buyers (quickly find what they need and buy)
                              Sellers (more effectively sell their stuff without being lost in the clutter)
                              CalGuns (less server time devoted to browsing, happier members, and consequently more donations to keep it going)
                              Slightly sarcastic, but I don't see much of a problem with the sales forums as they currently exist. I like every gun for sale being in the same place and don't want to wade through separate forums. Where does changing the sales forums end? With a neat handgun longgun split or someplace else after the non-AR buyers raise a ruckus because they're tired of wading through AR sales in longguns when all they're looking for is a new deer gun? This topic gets beaten every few months.

                              Would a better search function help general browsing of the site and the sales forum?
                              "There are no outdoor sports as graceful as throwing stones at a dictatorship." Ai WeiWei

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1