Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

handgun's bought in the 80s question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mdouglas1980
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 871

    handgun's bought in the 80s question

    So I was having a discussion with one of my buddies and he knows that I'm on calguns. So I'm the guy to ask about firearms laws right? His dad has a couple handguns bought in the 80s (all perfectly legal as well). I know there is handguns registration now but I didn't know what to tell him about this. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to do anything right? could someone help me with citing PC on this one? Thanks
  • #2
    Mssr. Eleganté
    Blue Blaze Irregular
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 10401

    Originally posted by mdouglas1980
    So I was having a discussion with one of my buddies and he knows that I'm on calguns. So I'm the guy to ask about firearms laws right? His dad has a couple handguns bought in the 80s (all perfectly legal as well). I know there is handguns registration now but I didn't know what to tell him about this. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to do anything right? could someone help me with citing PC on this one? Thanks
    If his dad bought them through a California FFL in the 1980's then the FFL would have taken care of the registration. If his dad bought them from a California private party in the 1980's then they were not registered to him, because private party transfers of handguns did not require registration before 1991.

    Even though it is perfectly legal to own unregistered handguns in California, there isn't really any Penal Code to show you that proves this. Generally, the Penal Code only shows what is illegal, not what is legal.

    If his dad ever wants to transfer the handguns to somebody else in California, that transfer will need to involve registration, either through the DROS process at the transferring FFL if sold to a private party or through the Intra-family/OpLaw form if transfered to a "family" member.
    __________________

    "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

    Comment

    • #3
      mdouglas1980
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2008
      • 871

      ^ thanks that's kinda what I thought. I think the only transfer of them will be to his son. So I will just let him know about the intrafamiliar handgun transfer form. It's $19 for as many as you can fit on the form right? not per gun?

      Comment

      • #4
        Mssr. Eleganté
        Blue Blaze Irregular
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 10401

        Originally posted by mdouglas1980
        ^ thanks that's kinda what I thought. I think the only transfer of them will be to his son. So I will just let him know about the intrafamiliar handgun transfer form. It's $19 for as many as you can fit on the form right? not per gun?
        Yes, the intra-family/op-law form is the only one that allows any number of handguns for one $19 fee. If there are more than three handguns being reported then you just attach more copies of the form, but the fee is still only $19 total. The C&R and New Resident forms charge $19 per handgun.

        The son would need to have a Handgun Safety Certificate before receiving the handguns from his father.
        __________________

        "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

        Comment

        • #5
          mdouglas1980
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2008
          • 871

          oh yeah I knew about the HSC that was the first thing I told him to get if he wanted them transfered to him. Thanks again

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1