Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Trying to take a party shooting; need help/advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NeoWeird
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 3342

    Trying to take a party shooting; need help/advice

    Ok, so I've made mention before that I am getting married soon and I plan on taking the bridal party, all her friends, and some of my family shooting - many for their first time. So let's cover the first problem: WHERE?

    Now the problem is probably the scale at which I am trying to do this. We are talking anywhere from six to fifteen people, but most likely in the dozen range. Now going to an actual range is pretty much out of the question (I'd rather take them out to dinner than spend $200 on range fees before ammo, ear/eye protection, etc.). So I am thinking either a private reserved range or a public place to shoot, like BLM land or an open range. Here are some guidlines I am trying to follow:
    • 6 to 15 people, again most likely closer to 12.
    • The closer to San Bernardino area the better. Would like to drive less than an hour, but will drive up to two hours id required.
    • Most likely going to use ONLY rimfires to keep things simple (possibly larger if location permits, but a large emphasis on rimfires).
    • Ability to set up personal targets, including plates, gongs, stands, etc. at different ranges out to about 100 yards.
    • Wide area to have ~6 shooters at once, with enough room for me to move between them as I see fit.
    • No RO. This is VERY important to me as I would like to be in control of the party and don't want someone shooting if we are on a cold range and they hear another RO say it's hot while I am down range or something.
    • Little to no fee per person (heavily leaning towards BLM because of this).
    • The more private the better as I don't want interferance or distractions.


    Ok, so what are soom good ideas for locations? I've heard of some BLM up by Barstow as well as some out by 29 Palms. Burro could almost work, but at $15 a pop for the private range I'd be looking at like $200+ for range fees, and that's just a bummer in itself. I was also thinking of maybe a road trip to Nevada to show the out of staters/foreigners Vegas afterwards. It was my plan originally, but time restraints might prevent us from this one.

    So I am really open to any ideas on where right now.
    quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. - Lucius Annaeus
    a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.
  • #2
    NeoWeird
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 3342

    Now I am also thinking about what to bring. This is my checklist so far:
    • Semi-auto Rifles
      • AR with Ciener kit and irons
      • Ruger 10/22 with folding stock and red dot
      • Lightweight Ruger 10/22 with fixed power scope
    • Bolt-action Rifles
      • CZ-452 with ghost ring
      • Remington 581 with fixed power scope
      • Remington 582 with leaf sights
    • Handguns
      • Springfield 1911 with non-adjustable sights Ciener kit
      • Sig Mosquito
      • Walther P22 with laser
    • Ammo
      • 2,500 Remington Sub-sonic
      • 1,500 Remington Yellow Jackets
      • However many Remington Gold Bullet bulk packs I can get at Walmart/Turners
    • Protection
      • Bulk pack of inside the ear plugs
      • A dozen or so Harbor Freight safety glasses
    • Wood frames for silhouettes up close with pistols
    • Do-All self resetting target (the ones with the revolving plates) for mid range rifle and pistol
    • metal gongs/plates from scrap steel for long range rifle
    • clays scattered all about for general gun fun
    • Folding table for guns and ammo
    • folding chairs
    • possibly a tarp (looking for a cheap pop up one now)
    • water/drinks
    • snacks + money for an afterwards meal
    • hand cleaner


    Anything else that might come to mind. I was thinking a radio, but that might be a huge distraction so the more I think about it the less I want to bring it. Again at this point I am leaning towards BLM so I need to rely on nothing but myself. I'd try a barbeque but I can't take my attention off anyone, so that is out.

    Any other ideas? For the gongs I am thinking some hardened steel plates in the 4" to 12" range with two holes drilled mounted on wood frames with chain would make a good noise gong/plate. I'd like to avoid using anything that can be junked as I don't want any trash left behind.

    Again, open to any ideas at this point. Keep in mind most of them have never shot before, and a good number are not from the US so they have never held a gun, let alone fired one so I am trying to keep things easy, enjoyable, and all together fun.
    quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. - Lucius Annaeus
    a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.

    Comment

    • #3
      NeoWeird
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • 3342

      There is of course the smaller details like where to take them before/afterwards that is VERY California/American. I was thinking Downtown Disney for a dinner and some shopping. Any suggestions on good places to eat that are close (again, hoping to stay in the San Bernardino area). I am thinking a REALLY authentic Mexican food place would be great for dinner one night, the beach, and Disney are the first places that come to mind. Again this is for ONE day - up in the morning, hit breakfast, shooting in the afternoon, and a California treat at night.

      Right now I am thinking up around 8ish, I figure 2 hours to get everyone ready and breakfast (probably something quick), arrive at our spot and setup by noon, a good half hour to hour on safety and proper gun handling/aiming, out of there by about 4:30ish, to Downtown Disney at 6:00ish, leaving there around 9:00ish, Albarros Mexican food just before 10:00 and home to watch a movie or play a game and everyone can crash out when they feel like it (we are having everyone stay at our house, so it makes the rides home that much easier).

      There are minor problems with this plan, so I am again open to suggestions. This one if kind of out there, but I figure who knows California better than Calguns. I was also thinking of maybe hitting the beach up after shooting and maybe having a small fire on the beach at one of the beaches that allows it, but again nothing is set in stone.

      So any ideas/suggestions for places/attractions/resturaunts/sites/etc that are very Californian and/or American. Cost is going to be an issue as this will all be my treat, and I am not Daddy Warbucks so the wedding/ring/honeymoon have already tapped me almost completey dry as it is (I don't even want to think about the new rent, bills, etc at this point).

      So help me out with ideas on this one too!
      quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. - Lucius Annaeus
      a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.

      Comment

      • #4
        Mute
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2005
        • 8596

        I suggest you try to get the private range at Burro Canyon. That will give everyone in your group more range time because you won't have to worry about down time with line breaks.
        NRA Benefactor Life Member
        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor, CA DOJ Certified CCW Instructor, RSO


        American Marksman Training Group
        Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page

        Comment

        • #5
          mike100
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • 2507

          EF&G had a shotgun wedding about a year ago..They wouldn't do that for a non member though. weddings cost dude... reserving (the whole) range time on the weekend somewhere could be costly.

          this range has, from time to time, arranged 3 hour blocks for business meetings ( for high ranking members that have earned their stripes) and such with a few members on hand to run traps and to hand out ammo one at a time to gun noobs to control the flow of the event.

          Comment

          • #6
            wildcard
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2006
            • 4924

            BLM is the way to go. Minimizes cost and allows for responsible shooting of objects. I guess just make sure you have plenty of shoot-n-c for the silhouette shooting (so they have immediate feedback as they're shooting), and fluorescent dots or paint for your metal targets. A fun thing to do would be hostage balloons or shooting balloons in general

            During your safety speech.. don't try to push proper technique too hard, just go over it once and then guide them as they go. I'll assume you know all the standard firing line rules which are generally good ideas (except for no rapid fire ). A good idea would be to bring a whistle so you can get a group of peoples' attention real quick if necessary.

            For ear protection, I suggest bringing any sets of muffs you have access to for those that are more sensitive to the noise so they can double up. Advise against low cut tops and open toed shoes. Bring a canopy or a tarp to make one for those that may be taking a break from shooting and will desire some shade.

            For those that want to play sniper, bring a large soft platform for them to lay on. Though generally not a concern when at a range with a man-made foundation, the desert with rocks, dirt, and debris will require the softer platform.

            As for things to do, nothing says California like LA. Venice beach offers the sidewalk shows and random souvenir shops. I prefer it becauseof the pizza and hot dogs over at Big Daddy, but there's plenty of beaches, all good for different reasons. Instead of Downtown Disney, you may also consider Universal City Walk. Downtown Disney really has nothing to offer but cuisine, not uber expensive, but also not what I would classify as cost effective. Besides, you don't want them wondering why they're not at Disneyland instead.. tickets are only in the realm of $70!

            Depending on where they're from, they may enjoy a short hike to see some waterfalls or something. I could recommend some.

            Well, that's just off the top of my head, I gotta get some work done now. Hope it helps.

            J

            Comment

            • #7
              markymark
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 1295

              I just took a party of 6 people shooting (first-time shooters) last Saturday and they were a handful, even with two lanes. Keep in mind that it's easy for seasoned shooters to remember and follow safety rules, but it's harder for beginners to remember them.

              Comment

              • #8
                24_minutes_to_1000
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2007
                • 529

                I'm thinking that with 12-15 novices you're going to want at LEAST 3 shooters there who know what's going on to supervise.

                There's no way I'd want to be alone trying to keep an eye on 15 novice shooters, all with weapons in their hands.

                "No, no, the cartridge goes in pointy end first--HEY!! keep that pointed downrange!!-- Don't go out there after that brass!!--No, the pistol is held with the sights straight up, regardless of what you've seen on TV--Hey!! Keep the muzzle pointed downrange" Etc., Etc.

                My stomach is in knots just thinking about it, lol.
                "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

                Comment

                • #9
                  thomye
                  Member
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 338

                  the biggest group i ever took shooting was 12. Prior to that was about 9. There are some private ranges at Burro that might work for you. it's bascially $15/person though (something you said you don't want but it's close). with a large group and a smaller range, you might be able to work out a deal. If you go during the week, they might even cut you a better deal.

                  At any rate, safety is your biggest issue. i noticed that newbies have a hard time following directions like don't handle the guns when someone is down range, don't put a mag in until at the line. If you do have that many people, i'd say bring some experiecned shooters to spot for you and keep a 3 to 1 ratio if you can. I printed out the 4 major safety rules to hand out:

                  1. Gun is always loaded.
                  2. Don't point the gun at anything which you aren't prepared to destroy.
                  3. Be mindful of your target and what's behind your target.
                  4. Don't put your finger on the trigger until you have your target in sight (this is the one that everyone forgets).

                  Also, i printed out a sample sight picture so that i wouldn't have to teach everyone individually. i did one at 6 O'Clock and Point of Aim. all my guns shoot differently.

                  I would also recommend you split up all your guns by caliber. The first time i took people, by mid day, everyone had moved stuff around on the table enough to where i had someone load 9 in a 45. not sure if this was ever a safety issue but it scared me when i thought it was a jam and had to unload it.

                  The last time i went, i had a 22lr and 9 table, a 45acp table, and two rifle tables. we started with handguns and didn't do rifles till everyone was confortable. I would have started with rifles but we had a 50cal which i'm certain would have scared half the group into going home. haha

                  Aside from that, i think you seem very prepared. if you can, take some potatoes and a can of white spray paint. I put them on the burm and painted one side white. it was the most popular target for our group cuz when you hit them, they blow up. especially with the high velocity rounds.

                  All in all, i hope you have a fun and safe time.
                  If GUNS kill people, then SPOONS make people fat.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    DsF_Saint
                    Junior Member
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 38

                    Most importantly, before handing the brides family any kind of gun, in the middle of the desert, make certain everyone really likes you.

                    Congrats

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      proraptor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 2594

                      I also think you should go down to burro canyon and rent a tac range..
                      Nothin says hate like a .308

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        tteng
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2006
                        • 1911

                        +1111 to marky and 24_min.

                        First time I took my boys out to shoot (14 & 11), I spent 2/3 of time watching and correcting just to make sure they are safe to all of us.

                        What are you going to say when one of your non-gun guest "sweep" you /or other guests? Nice & easy, Don't think so. Loud & firm, well, you just inadverdently offended someone, not family I hope.

                        Just my 2c. Don't mean to rain on your parade.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          NSR500
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 19530

                          Just a suggestion, but maybe if you have experienced friends that can help you manage the group? Like the other guys said, 3-15 is better that 1-15.
                          Maybe a couple of Calgunners in your area can help you out for a case of beer, a Pizza dinner or something?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            DrjonesUSA
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 4701

                            Frankly, I think that your idea sounds like a recipe for disaster.

                            I agree with others that you need to find other experienced shooters to help you supervise.

                            I think that one instructor could safely handle 3, maybe 4 novices, but no more.

                            One person taking 12-15 noobs shooting is irresponsible and unsafe, IMO.

                            If I were any closer to you (I'm in NorCal) I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.

                            I'm sure there are many people here on Calguns who'd be happy to volunteer to help you.

                            Good luck!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              DrjonesUSA
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • 4701

                              Originally posted by tteng
                              What are you going to say when one of your non-gun guest "sweep" you /or other guests? Nice & easy, Don't think so. Loud & firm, well, you just inadverdently offended someone, not family I hope.

                              If you're taking friends or family shooting, they are just that; friends or family and you should treat them as such.

                              If you turn into a jerk on the range, you'll just make everything worse and ruin the experience for both of you.

                              I've never had to do anything other than very gently remind my students to please be careful where they point their guns, keep finger off the trigger, or whatever, and I never have to ask more than once.

                              People who have never shot nor handled a gun before are typically all too eager to follow safety instructions as they are just a little bit afraid of the guns, which is good; they have a very healthy respect for the damage guns can do and quickly learn proper protocall.

                              Yelling/being a jerk never helps anything.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1