Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Possible FUD at Martin B Retting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Air
    Senior Member
    • May 2005
    • 1640

    Possible FUD at Martin B Retting

    Which probably isn't a surprise to those who frequent the store...Don't get me wrong, I like the store, but I have heard a fairly good amount BS come out of that place over the years...Had a few hours to kill while the wife was at the dentist, so I dropped in.

    Guy was looking at one of their sealed magwell Bushmasters, salesman appeared to be explaining 'Evil Features' and I heard what I thought to be some negative remarks about OLL's, being not legal etc...He was also trying to push a KelTec on the guy. I didn't pay much attention, because some if not most of the counter people up there are really annoying.

    There is a lot of 'window shopping' going on at that place, which is annoying when you actually have money to spend...Everybody HAS to be a know it all.

    I walked out without spending any money, mainly because nobody would give me the time of day.

    I've had some good experiences with Retting, and have spent a lot of money there, but I get annoyed easily with them for some reason.
  • #2
    xd40
    Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 308

    As my local gun store I've spent quit a bit of time there as well. Don't get me wrong i love the place but have to agree on the idiocy of some of the salesmen and customers. As a general rule of thumb I don't go on weekends and only deal with the older salesman, Randy who has worked there a long time is a great friendly and knowledgeable salesman.
    NEED HOME THEATER DESIGN, SALES, OR INSTALLATION?? TRADE FOR GUNS & AMMO!!!
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=266031

    Comment

    • #3
      Tanner68
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 2147

      I wouldn't be so quick to rip on the store or the salesman there. Randy is a good guy. The kid with the longish hair often times knows a lot about a guns history and design (A Remington 51 comes to mind.). I think working there would quickly test anyones patience.

      Comment

      • #4
        Rob454
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Feb 2006
        • 11254

        That place blows

        Comment

        • #5
          jello2594
          Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 384

          When I did a PPT there a couple months back, I noticed they had a Mauser Broomhandle handgun, with the optional stock attached, making it an AW.
          [SIGPIC

          Comment

          • #6
            gonzo1510
            Member
            • Feb 2006
            • 114

            I was there today and asked about lowers to the balding gentleman (reminded me of the Farva character from super troopers) in his late thirties... While he was polite, he told me that they (Retting) will not carry them because they are "Assault Weapons". They are illegal even though they have a modified mag release.

            Aside from that, I thought the prices were ok..

            Comment

            • #7
              jdogg2000
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2009
              • 787

              Randy is a great guy, I've bought several guns from him and others there. I learned, however, not to bring up OLLs/EBRs because the employees there are convinced you are a criminal if you even talk about ARs with them.

              Comment

              • #8
                gonzo1510
                Member
                • Feb 2006
                • 114

                That's why I promptly left....

                Comment

                • #9
                  bigmike82
                  Bit Pusher
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 3876

                  If they stopped being whiny little snots about PPTs, I'd be extremely happy with them.
                  -- 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    EOD Guy
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 1229

                    Originally posted by jello2594
                    When I did a PPT there a couple months back, I noticed they had a Mauser Broomhandle handgun, with the optional stock attached, making it an AW.

                    I don't think so. There is nothing about a Mauser broomhandle, with or without a stock, that makes it an "assault weapon."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      jello2594
                      Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 384

                      yes it is. it's an SBR.

                      Edited to add: Actually, now that I'm researching, the Broomhandle may be exempt from SBR status... hmm.

                      Originally posted by EOD Guy
                      I don't think so. There is nothing about a Mauser broomhandle, with or without a stock, that makes it an "assault weapon."
                      Last edited by jello2594; 02-16-2010, 8:54 AM.
                      [SIGPIC

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        EOD Guy
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 1229

                        Originally posted by jello2594

                        yes it is. it's an SBR.

                        Edited to add: Actually, now that I'm researching, the Broomhandle may be exempt from SBR status... hmm.
                        You didn't say anything about an SBR.

                        Broomhandle Mausers with shoulder stocks have been removed from the provisions of the NFA and reclassed as curio and relic firearms under the GCA.

                        See Section III of the BATF Firearms Curios or Relics List.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          jello2594
                          Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 384

                          Thanks E.D. guy
                          [SIGPIC

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            djleisure
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 4734

                            Most of the guys I've encountered there are very nice and cordial (and yes, I've done a couple PPT's there,) but they are very adamant about OLL's being illegal and do not want to hear anything otherwise. I actually did engage one of the customers there about legal ways he could own a PTR-91 while one of the Retting's dudes was signing out my gun. I mentioned Calguns and a couple of legal ways the customer could own a PTR-91 and the guy behind the counter actually agreed that the guy could get one, just not at their shop. This was about six months ago, so maybe they are slooooowly pulling their heads out of the sand.

                            Oh and I bought a WASR-22 there, which surprised the hell out of me! I know it's only a .22, but IT'S AN EVIL AK!!!! Good stuff.
                            ------------------------------------------------------------
                            iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ke6guj
                              Moderator
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Nov 2003
                              • 23725

                              Originally posted by EOD Guy
                              I don't think so. There is nothing about a Mauser broomhandle, with or without a stock, that makes it an "assault weapon."
                              Yes, a Broomhandle Mauser with a shoulder stock attached, is a AW because it is a semi-automatic centerfire rifle less than 30".


                              Originally posted by jello2594
                              yes it is. it's an SBR.

                              Edited to add: Actually, now that I'm researching, the Broomhandle may be exempt from SBR status... hmm.
                              Yes, it is an SBR as well, but many broomhandles (not all IIRC) are specifically exempted from the NFA. And since they are legally possesed per federal law, they are exempt from CA's SBR regs, but not the AW regs.
                              Jack



                              Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                              No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1