Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need help with firearms ownership near a school

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Maddog5150
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2006
    • 10526

    Need help with firearms ownership near a school

    So I am thinking of buying a house when I get home. I saw one I want and if still available when if I do buy it. The problem is that it is right across the street from a middle school.
    What kind of hassels will I be facing if I move there? I dont open carry but I do transport firearms obviously. Thanks in advanced
    Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

    For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
    Note: I did not write the above article.

    Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

    sigpic
  • #2
    cmth
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 519

    All guns unloaded. Pistols, registered AWs and .50 BMGs locked in a secure container. Try to be discreet. That's all.

    Edit: that's when transporting out of your house, of course. Inside your house and your fenced in property, anything goes.
    Last edited by cmth; 01-21-2010, 5:50 PM.
    Libertas aut Mors

    Comment

    • #3
      Cokebottle
      Seņor Member
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Oct 2009
      • 32373

      Federal regs require long guns to be locked up, California only specifies handguns.
      - Rich

      Originally posted by dantodd
      A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

      Comment

      • #4
        Fjold
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Oct 2005
        • 23062

        Middle schools are the worst, the kids tear stuff up and are old enough to recognize that you can't do anything to them for stepping on your sprinkler heads, etc.
        Frank

        One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




        Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

        Comment

        • #5
          Maddog5150
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Feb 2006
          • 10526

          concertina wire that I will deficate on every night will eventually learn em
          The property will probably be gone by the time i get home but it rise the question of if I do end up buying a house near a school.
          Last edited by Maddog5150; 01-21-2010, 7:27 PM.
          Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

          For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
          Note: I did not write the above article.

          Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            Mickey D
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2007
            • 3502

            I would not move next to a middle school. Too many noisy smart mouth mischievous kids.

            Good luck.
            ***Honesty is the Foundation of One's Character***

            *** In comparing the virtues of various calibers, using hollow point ammo: it is absolutely undeniable that, while a 9 mm or .40 S&W may or may not expand, a .45 will never shrink. ***

            ***Mature Up***

            Comment

            • #7
              spddrcr
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2006
              • 1585

              I live behind a school that is for emotionally troubled and discinplanery problem kids/teens. My back fence in my backyard is actually the fence that separates the playground from my backyard. Ive had zero problems with the actual school or kids and just follow the regular rules of traveling with firearms and havent had any problems. i shoot at least twice a week and transport all types of firearms.

              to tell you the truth the kids/teens who live on my street are more hassles then the kids at the school. lots of gunnies would never live next to a school but in reality it's actually pretty nice due to the fact i have a whole playground to use whenever my kids or i want to. so far 1 of my boys has learned to ride a dirtbike there, both boys have learned to ride a skateboard and bike there.
              blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
              blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
              blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

              "wildhawker
              People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."

              Comment

              • #8
                Rob454
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Feb 2006
                • 11254

                Dude I used to live next to a middle school. NEVER again. Kids woudl walk by and smack my vehicles kick stuff in the front yard just basicallymake themselves a nuisance. I swear a few times i saw them do it and I was about ready to go there grab a few of them and slam them against the curb.
                My more mature side got ahold of me and installed some video cameras. Then i followed them home. knocked on the door with a copy of the video tape and told the parent(s). i live here ( gave my address) and can you please come and fix the damage your child has caused to my home.
                I only had two parents who refused to come over cause their little angel was innocent. So i took them to court. They fixed my car

                Comment

                • #9
                  stormy_clothing
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 2809

                  Just be reasonable - while I wont tell you not to walk around in combat gear with a draco pistol strapped to your chest it can only be harmful to do so.

                  If you have to move large rifles ect around in the open and your using hard cases - band and other bumper stickers make great urban camo for your large guitar case.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Cokebottle
                    Seņor Member
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 32373

                    Originally posted by stormy_clothing
                    If you have to move large rifles ect around in the open and your using hard cases - band and other bumper stickers make great urban camo for your large guitar case.
                    Also tends to throw off border patrol and other LEOs who might ask "Do you have any firearms in the vehicle?"
                    - Rich

                    Originally posted by dantodd
                    A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      mariodesmo
                      Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 141

                      When I was a kid living at home and next to a middle school, my Dad set the sprinklers to go on at the same time kids would walk past to/from school. He also had them adjusted so they would also spray a bit over the sidewalk and street. Worked great and kept them away!
                      CRPA Life Member
                      NRA Life Member

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ArmedWolf
                        Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 392

                        What if some one lives around 3 schools on their block and was thinking of applying for a C&R? that a fine thing to do or asking for attention because I'm around three schools all in walking distance?
                        Got my Utah CCW, Thanks JimAmentler!

                        Sacramento Photography
                        www.wolf-photo.com

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Greg-Dawg
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2006
                          • 7793

                          Just lock up the case when traveling, now go buy that condo.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            six10
                            Member
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 463

                            I live across the street from a gradeschool. Granted, I haven't owned guns for more than a few months, (and they're all legal), but I don't want any hassles. I load/unload guns from the car's trunk in the garage with the door closed. Never have anything in the garage that even hints at guns for the ten seconds it takes the garage door to cycle open and closed. No dry-firing or "practice moves" in the backyard -even on weekends. And I clean them (in the garage) after school hours. Then they're locked up. And I don't talk to anyone about them -except here.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Cokebottle
                              Seņor Member
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 32373

                              You're being WAY too cautious.

                              Inside the home or the fenced back yard is not a problem. Period.

                              Now the difference between California and the Federal GFSZ....
                              California's 626.9 only requires handguns to be in a locked container when within 1000ft of a school that you know or reasonably should know about.

                              The Federal law does apply to long guns, but I've never seen a report of local PD enforcing it. Most likely, it would be an add-on charge along with another violation (such as transporting loaded in an incorporated area).
                              There's also the issue that the Federal GFSZ has already been ruled unconstitutional once, and small modifications were made to it. It will be challenged again and will not likely stand.

                              My neighbor goes to the range several times a week... primarily shotgun.
                              He doesn't even own a locking case for his long guns. Condo complex, he can't get from his front door to his truck without walking across common area... the complex is not gated. I could throw a golf ball into the yard of a private K12 from his front door.

                              The full text of 626.9 provides exceptions for all private property, as well as a place of business or place of residence, however, Theseus was still convicted even though he was on private property... but he was carrying a handgun.
                              - Rich

                              Originally posted by dantodd
                              A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1