Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SW 500 broke today at the range

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • STR8HEATED
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 925

    SW 500 broke today at the range

    have any 500 owners ever have this problem The hammer wont cock back. It cocks back a lil but the wheel spins freely. It wont cock back all the way and align the wheel in place for the next shot. I might have to send this to smith and wesson...its not locked so I dont know whats wrong.
  • #2
    Californio
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2006
    • 4169

    Originally posted by uongkevin
    have any 500 owners ever have this problem The hammer wont cock back. It cocks back a lil but the wheel spins freely. It wont cock back all the way and align the wheel in place for the next shot. I might have to send this to smith and wesson...its not locked so I dont know whats wrong.
    Try this - take the key and lock it - then unlock it.
    "The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

    Comment

    • #3
      STR8HEATED
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2009
      • 925

      tried that...hammer still wont come back fully

      Comment

      • #4
        B Strong
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Feb 2009
        • 6367

        Send it back to Smith - they have a good CS policy and service.
        The way some gunshop clerks spout off, you'd think that they invented gunpowder and the repeating rifle, and sat on the Supreme Court as well.
        ___________________________________________
        "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
        - Jeff Cooper

        Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos

        Comment

        • #5
          checkenbach
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 1473

          It may have some grunge under the side plate, causing it to stick, my Model 28 does this once in a while, not locked up, only sticky when pulling the hammer back to rotate the cylinder. I'd pull the side plate off and see if there's anything I could fix (or clean) before sending it out to S&W.

          Comment

          • #6
            CRTguns
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • 2627

            As a gunsmith who regularly services broken revolvers, new and old, and one who makes new race-ready ICORE and USPSA revolvers, Lots can go wrong with the little clockwork design- moreso with mega recoil.

            The hand may be broken. I've heard of it, buet never seen the lock engage under recoil. The MIM made Double Action sear can crack... the rebound assy may be stuck due to a bent pin... I've seen a 500 brake 3 scope mount screws clean off after 4 rounds. I make a habit to warn buyers of 500 revos to not be totally surprised when the thing brakes. Much much higher rate of failures than regular caliber revos.

            Whatever it is, SW will fix her for free. You might call them and see if you can get them to flip for a return shipping call tag. It'll save you about $50.

            Comment

            • #7
              battleship
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2008
              • 4969

              I have the 4 inch model, and ive experienced similar problems after firing 20 rounds of 500 grain, sometimes the hammer will not cock back manually or when pulling the trigger. Or the cylinder will just not turn, sometimes the ejector rod will jump over the bullet casing. Ive found that letting it cool down for a few minutes seems to do the trick, the amount of force put on this gun is mind boggling to say the least. Always clean your 500 after every trip to the range, especially the cylinder ports.
              I have never contacted SW about this trouble as it just irons itself out after a rest.

              Comment

              • #8
                Clayface
                Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 260

                Quick question, did you ever spin the cylinder then jerk the gun so it could pop it into place like they do in movies?

                Comment

                • #9
                  IrishPirate
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 6390

                  not surprised with the immense pressures this thing undergoes....if it doesn't "fix it's self" then see if S&W will pay for return shipping, otherwise, it might be cheaper to have a gunsmith look at it first...he might fix it for cheap, or it might need to be returned, either way you'll know for sure.
                  sigpic
                  Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
                  People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    STR8HEATED
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 925

                    Originally posted by Clayface
                    Quick question, did you ever spin the cylinder then jerk the gun so it could pop it into place like they do in movies?
                    i have done that just a few times...i can hear something loose rattling inside. Smith and wesson is closed to the 4th of jan. so I guess i'll just have to wait.im tempted to take the side cover off but I'll just let smith and wess take care of it

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      soundwave
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • 648

                      Interesting, my friends has the same problem with his S&W .500. I will check in with him to see if h has tried to fix it.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        retired
                        Administrator
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 9412

                        Originally posted by CRTguns
                        As a gunsmith who regularly services broken revolvers, new and old, and one who makes new race-ready ICORE and USPSA revolvers, Lots can go wrong with the little clockwork design- moreso with mega recoil.

                        The hand may be broken. I've heard of it, buet never seen the lock engage under recoil. The MIM made Double Action sear can crack... the rebound assy may be stuck due to a bent pin... I've seen a 500 brake 3 scope mount screws clean off after 4 rounds. I make a habit to warn buyers of 500 revos to not be totally surprised when the thing brakes. Much much higher rate of failures than regular caliber revos.

                        Whatever it is, SW will fix her for free. You might call them and see if you can get them to flip for a return shipping call tag. It'll save you about $50.
                        Do these problems occur with the S&W 460 also. I don't have one, but just wondering. Thanks.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Clayface
                          Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 260

                          "Do these problems occur with the S&W 460 also. I don't have one, but just wondering. Thanks."

                          x2 , I own a 460 xvr and would am curious to know the answer the that query as well.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            rkt88edmo
                            Reptile&Samurai Moderator
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 10064

                            Originally posted by uongkevin
                            i have done that just a few times...i can hear something loose rattling inside. Smith and wesson is closed to the 4th of jan. so I guess i'll just have to wait.im tempted to take the side cover off but I'll just let smith and wess take care of it
                            The reason he asked is that you may well have bent the crane which is causing the cylinder to bind.

                            Don't flip your revos shut.
                            If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
                            Use the goog to search calguns

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              sza
                              Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • 129

                              Try pressing the cylinder release all the way to the rear, and see if you can then cock the hammer. If so, either some grit was keeping it from moving all the way back (which blocks the hammer), or the springloaded center pin going through the cylinder got peened over on the front edge under heavy recoil (this happened to my 629 Mountain Revolver, twice).

                              Edit: On second thought, the 500 has ball detent lockup so the center pin wouldn't get peened over under recoil. It is still possible that something got bent and is keeping it from moving all the way to the rear.
                              Last edited by sza; 12-28-2009, 7:16 PM. Reason: Ball detent

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1