Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Some people should not be allowed to work on guns

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Fjold
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Oct 2005
    • 23064

    Some people should not be allowed to work on guns

    I bought a new stainless barrel chambered in 243 and decided to put it on an old Savage 110CL that I bought 25 years as a 243 but converted to 22/250 15 years ago.

    I got the old barrel off with no problems and installed the now SSS stainless recoil lug and nut. (tight fitting threads, I had to use the nut wrench to get it started). I got the barrel in the action, lined up the lug and put a fired case in the bolthead and screwed the barrel in until it felt solid and tightened up the barrel nut.

    I then opened the bolt and pulled the fired case out and then decided to drop it on the magazine carrier and feed it in again. I closed the bolt and then opened it up and there's no case. I looked in the chamber and could see the cartridge head so I shut the bolt again, opened it and still it wouldn't extract the case. Using a cleaning rod, the case pushed out with no problem.

    I pulled the bolt out, examined the extractor and decided that it looked worn. So I changed it out with one off of a spare bolthead that I had on hand. I clip another case in the bolt head and the extractor held it firmly. I reinstalled the bolt, dropped another case on the follower, fed it into the chamber and closed the bolt again. I opened the bolt and the case was still in the chamber. Now I'm swearing at it as there is obviously something wrong with this barrel.

    I loosen the barrel nut, re-checked the headspace re-tightened the barrel nut. Open the bolt and there's no cartridges case again!

    Obviously there is a difference in the old 110 bolthead and the newer barrels so since I was going to order a new stock for this gun anyway, I decide that I'll have to send it in to Sharp Shooter Supply (Fred) to get this thing assembled correctly.

    I tape the bottom metal, action bolts and magazine release to the barreled action to get it ready to ship and decide that I better include a couple of fired cases that my dies are adjusted to to give Fred a reference point.

    I took another fired case from the plastic box and shut the lid and then noticed that the cartridge box said "22.250" on it.

    Yes, I had just spent an hour trying to headspace a 243 barrel using fired 22.250 cases!
    Last edited by Fjold; 11-27-2009, 7:51 PM.
    Frank

    One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




    Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
  • #2
    CSACANNONEER
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2006
    • 44094

    So, when you put a .243 case in, was it already headspaced properly?

    Don't worry. You're just getting OLD.
    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor


    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

    sigpic
    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

    KM6WLV

    Comment

    • #3
      Fjold
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Oct 2005
      • 23064

      Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
      So, when you put a .243 case in, was it already headspaced properly?

      Don't worry. You're just getting OLD.

      Heck no, I was spacing the barrel stub against the bolt face.
      Frank

      One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




      Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

      Comment

      • #4
        CSACANNONEER
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2006
        • 44094

        Originally posted by Fjold
        Heck no, I was spacing the barrel stub against the bolt face.
        I've seen stranger things happen so, I thought I'd ask.
        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
        California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
        Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
        Utah CCW Instructor


        Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

        sigpic
        CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

        KM6WLV

        Comment

        • #5
          Pthfndr
          In Memoriam
          • Oct 2005
          • 3691

          At least you figured it out before you sent it off!
          Rob Thomas - Match Director NCPPRC Tactical Long Range Match

          Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match

          Comment

          • #6
            DarkHorse
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2009
            • 935

            Thank you. I now feel better about myself
            This is my sig line.

            Comment

            • #7
              G17GUY
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2006
              • 2343

              Call feinstein, i'm sure she could get you banned from working on guns.
              sigpic

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1