Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

utility bill copies as proof of residency

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • fd15k
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 1049

    utility bill copies as proof of residency

    Guys,

    I've stopped paper bills at some point with my gas and electrical companies, and I was
    wondering if FFL's would accept a print out (read a "copy") of such bills as proof of residency.
    Anyone tried that ?

    Thanks!
  • #2
    CHS
    Moderator Emeritus
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Jan 2008
    • 11338

    We do. It should be fine.

    Don't ask here though, ASK YOUR FFL. It's acceptable and legal, but that doesn't mean your FFL will take it, and that's all that matters.
    Please read the Calguns Wiki
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
    --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

    Comment

    • #3
      justin_5585
      Member
      • Feb 2009
      • 458

      Mine does it as well. You don't get any other formal mail though? No credit cards, bank statements, etc?
      Originally posted by Decoligny
      No question, I would definitely punch you in the nads.

      Comment

      • #4
        leelaw
        Junior Member
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 10445

        It fulfills the requirements for establishing proof of residency, and I suspect most FFLs will accept it.

        Comment

        • #5
          leelaw
          Junior Member
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 10445

          Originally posted by justin_5585
          Mine does it as well. You don't get any other formal mail though? No credit cards, bank statements, etc?
          None of those are acceptable statements for establishing proof of residency. Neither are cell phone bills.

          Comment

          • #6
            fd15k
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2008
            • 1049

            Thanks guys! I will double-check with my favorite FFL

            Comment

            • #7
              odysseus
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Dec 2005
              • 10407

              As easier one perhaps if they get weird about it is if you have a car, truck, or motorcycle. Then you have a current DMV registration.
              "Just leave me alone, I know what to do." - Kimi Raikkonen

              The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
              - John Adams

              http://www.usdebtclock.org/

              Comment

              • #8
                fd15k
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2008
                • 1049

                I'm not a citizen, got to provide 3 months worth of stuff

                Originally posted by odysseus
                As easier one perhaps if they get weird about it is if you have a car, truck, or motorcycle. Then you have a current DMV registration.

                Comment

                • #9
                  justin_5585
                  Member
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 458

                  Originally posted by leelaw
                  None of those are acceptable statements for establishing proof of residency. Neither are cell phone bills.
                  I didn't realize that. I have never had to show more than my CDL to buy though, so that may be why...
                  Originally posted by Decoligny
                  No question, I would definitely punch you in the nads.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Dekker
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 1866

                    Doesn't apply to your situation but a letter signed by a parent was enough to be a 2nd proof of residency for me. The car is registered to my father(I drive it tho) and I'm living with my parents at the moment so I don't have any utility bills or lease agreements under my name. The FFL said I have to bring a letter signed by a parent stating how long I've been living at the house and that I pay no utilities and that I would be good to go. All I did was write a statement saying all those things and handed it to my Dad to sign. That was it.

                    When he said that I actually remarked, "What?! My parents?". And he looked at another guy and said, "Yes...hard to believe, but a signed letter is enough proof in CA". Which is good, no reason why a legal law abiding citizen should be banned from owning a handgun just because his parents provide everything for him >_>

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CHS
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 11338

                      Originally posted by justin_5585
                      I didn't realize that. I have never had to show more than my CDL to buy though, so that may be why...
                      You must show proof of residency if you are purchasing a handgun or purchasing a long gun and your actual address no longer matches your DL/ID address.

                      Otherwise, for non-handgun purchases all you need to show is CDL/CID.
                      Please read the Calguns Wiki
                      Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
                      --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        bigthaiboy
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • 4795

                        Originally posted by fd15k
                        I'm not a citizen, got to provide 3 months worth of stuff
                        If you are a permanent resident, then you will need to show 3 latest consecutive months utility bills as proof of residence if purchasing / transferring any firearm through a CA FFL01.

                        I am in the same boat as you, and print out the first page of my Edison utility bill every month out of habit habit, just in case I want to make a purchase. My billing is paperless, so I print the bill from online. Never had a FFL say anything about it.

                        I always ask the FFL to photocopy my copies of the utility bills so I don't have to keep remembering to reprint the bills.

                        Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Burnout
                          Member
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 337

                          fyi,

                          some accept bank statements instead of ubills.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            leelaw
                            Junior Member
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 10445

                            Originally posted by Burnout
                            fyi,

                            some accept bank statements instead of ubills.
                            They shouldn't. Bank statements are not to a physical address, and therefore are not allowed as proof of residency.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              elSquid
                              In Memoriam
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 11844

                              Originally posted by fd15k
                              I'm not a citizen, got to provide 3 months worth of stuff
                              The feds care about the 90 days prior, and credit card statements are expressly permitted:



                              This is also mentioned on the 4473... I think it's in the help section for 20(c), but I'm probably wrong about the exact number.

                              -- Michael

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1