Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

heat shields?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 7.62 FMJ
    Member
    • Oct 2007
    • 431

    heat shields?

    What is the point of a heat shield on a shotgun? I don't see the advantage unless maybe there is while using a bayonet. Who does that? I've been shooting shotguns for about 20 years now and have never burned myself on the barrel. Maybe there's some really cool move that I don't know about. School me.
  • #2
    Black Majik
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 9695

    The purpose of the heatshield is so that the screws can come loose and slide around leaving racing stripes on your barrel.

    Hope that helps.

    Comment

    • #3
      Clayface
      Member
      • Sep 2009
      • 260

      Possibly getting burned is the main thing but the only shotgun to use it effectively and correct is the almighty SPAZ.Another pro is adding ghost ring sights to a shotgun without drilling and tapping it, If the heatshild has them.

      Comment

      • #4
        7.62 FMJ
        Member
        • Oct 2007
        • 431

        That"s what I thought. just making sure I wasn't missing out on something. I could think of a lot more productive ways to add weight to a gun.

        Comment

        • #5
          domokun
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • 3525

          "It's the shoulder thing that goes up!"
          "Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a freedom because he might abuse it?" --Harlon Carter
          "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." --Gerald Ford
          "Government is essentially the negation of liberty." --Ludwig von Mises
          "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
          USS Hornet ARC Member.

          sigpic
          Join today?

          Comment

          • #6
            mirage2887
            Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 220

            it looks 100times more deadly when a bad guy sees it

            Comment

            • #7
              Hayashi Killian
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2009
              • 617

              Prevent you from burning hands if you have big hands (like me) and also helps to prevent other things from burning if they touch the hot barrel.
              "Ok, sign language 101. This means stay low, this means stack up, and this means I'm gonna punch your lights out if you don't shut up!"

              Comment

              • #8
                lead chucker
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2008
                • 726

                If you are carrying the shotgun sling'ed...

                Comment

                • #9
                  SCMA-1
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 4292

                  It's more for tacticool mall ninja looks. Rate of fire, especially with pump action low cap tube magazines is very low allowing plenty of time for cooling with shotguns. I can see something like a USAS-12 or Saiga with 20rd drums perhaps "needing" something like a heat shield but then again, how many rounds in any situation do these guns ever go through in a short period of time.
                  sigpic

                  "Wherever I Walk,
                  Everyone Is a Little Bit Safer Because I Am There.

                  Wherever I Am,
                  Anyone In Need Has a Friend.

                  Whenever I Return Home,
                  Everyone Is Happy I Am There."
                  - "The Warrior Creed" ~ Robert L. Humphrey

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    nativeofsandiego
                    Junior Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 97

                    Because it looks cool...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      berto
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 7723

                      The dudes at the mall voted it one the top 10 things to have.
                      "There are no outdoor sports as graceful as throwing stones at a dictatorship." Ai WeiWei

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        7.62 FMJ
                        Member
                        • Oct 2007
                        • 431

                        Originally posted by berto
                        The dudes at the mall voted it one the top 10 things to have.
                        You're killing me.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          What Just Happened?
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • 2504

                          I sometimes take my pump shotgun out to the SSA steel matches. At the end of a 30 round stage, my barrel is kinda hot. A heat shield would be nice to have.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Beelzy
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Apr 2008
                            • 9225

                            You obviously haven't fired your shotgun enough times really fast.

                            Try shooting two 5rd volleys as fast as you can and ask again.

                            If you want Mall Ninja cool, you have to have the Tango down pistol grip
                            front stock with 4 cell Mag-light attachment. LOL!
                            "I kill things for a living, don't make yourself one of them"

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              7.62 FMJ
                              Member
                              • Oct 2007
                              • 431

                              Originally posted by Beelzy
                              You obviously haven't fired your shotgun enough times really fast.

                              Try shooting two 5rd volleys as fast as you can and ask again.

                              If you want Mall Ninja cool, you have to have the Tango down pistol grip
                              front stock with 4 cell Mag-light attachment. LOL!
                              Oh I've gotten my guns plenty hot I just don't hold them by the barrel.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1