Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Very long shot question (no pun intended)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • shaetuan
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 38

    Very long shot question (no pun intended)

    Long time (lurker) first timer (poster) here; was hoping someone out there might know or could be so kind and help point me to the right direction: trying to compile a list of barrel twist rate on most of modern handguns out there. I tried Google, Wikipedia, and even ChatGPT, but does not seem like this information or database exists today anywhere. Even tried Googling specific handgun model and this information does not really turn up. Does anyone know where i should be searching instead?

    Long back story on why I am doing this, but I am not having much if any success so far so was really hoping someone here on the forum might know a way. Thanks so much in advance
  • #2
    sigstroker
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2009
    • 19883

    Probably have to do it the hard way. Go to each manufacturer website and look up each model.

    It's probably not going to vary much per cartridge. It doesn't have much affect like with rifle cartridges. Most people don't care. I have lots of handguns and never checked the twist before buying.

    Comment

    • #3
      LAKA90034
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Mar 2009
      • 1386

      Does the rifling-twist rate in your handgun impact accuracy when used with different-weight bullets? Is there a best bullet for your barrel's twist rate? We examine the issue here.


      Hardly a central respository of twiat rate data...but it mentions rates for several calibers
      "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."

      Thomas Paine


      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        shaetuan
        Junior Member
        • Mar 2013
        • 38

        Thank you so much for the link, will take a look!

        Comment

        • #5
          shaetuan
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 38

          Originally posted by sigstroker
          Probably have to do it the hard way. Go to each manufacturer website and look up each model.

          It's probably not going to vary much per cartridge. It doesn't have much affect like with rifle cartridges. Most people don't care. I have lots of handguns and never checked the twist before buying.
          Thank you sir, sincerely appreciate your comment. I will pass that along.

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57179

            Originally posted by shaetuan
            Long time (lurker) first timer (poster) here; was hoping someone out there might know or could be so kind and help point me to the right direction: trying to compile a list of barrel twist rate on most of modern handguns out there. I tried Google, Wikipedia, and even ChatGPT, but does not seem like this information or database exists today anywhere. Even tried Googling specific handgun model and this information does not really turn up. Does anyone know where i should be searching instead?

            Long back story on why I am doing this, but I am not having much if any success so far so was really hoping someone here on the forum might know a way. Thanks so much in advance
            SAAMI standards include the standard twist rate for each chambering.
            You will find them listed in the rifle and pistol standards here:
            NOTE: Dimensional information for cartridges and firearm chambers, along with performance characteristics, are contained within the American National Standards published by SAAMI, listed below (SAAMI Z299.1 for Rimfire, SAAMI Z299.2 for Shotshell, SAAMI Z299.3 for Centerfire Pistol & Revolver, SAAMI Z299.4 for Centerfire Rifle, and SAAMI Z299.6 for Suppressors). As these standards are only periodically […]


            Now that's not to say that manufacturers actually follow those standards.
            The standards are generally derived because they are the most popular though.
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1