Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR lower is considered a centerline rifle?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • evlblkrfl
    Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 476

    AR lower is considered a centerline rifle?

    Went to Turners yesterday to buy a Kimber K6s Target, Ruger 10/22 sporter
    and an Aero stripped lower. Guy behind the counter said I couldn't do
    that because of the 1 in 30 rule saying that the stripped lower could be made in to a centerline rifle. Is this true or should I just go somewhere else and buy the lower? I ended up buying the Kimber and Ruger there and wanted to investigate a little further before making my next move.
  • #2
    CartridgeCalls
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2016
    • 1395

    I believe lowers are exempt from the 1 in 30.
    Cartridge Calls, Predator, Duck and Big game calls made from real brass cartridges. 100% Disabled Veteran Owned and operated Small Business.
    www.cartridgecalls.com
    Get them in close, Get the job done!

    Comment

    • #3
      fx1974
      Member
      • Apr 2014
      • 432

      Originally posted by CartridgeCalls
      I believe lowers are exempt from the 1 in 30.
      In my experience I think this is correct. I was able to DROS a pistol and a lower at the same time; they were not PPTs.

      Comment

      • #4
        Scratch705
        I need a LIFE!!
        • May 2009
        • 12537

        Lowers and most shotguns (i believe there is some shotguns that will count for the 1in30 but not common) are currently exempt from 1 in 30 days.

        This law does change where anything firearm is 1in30 either next year or 2024
        Originally posted by leelaw
        Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
        Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
        Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
        Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
        Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

        Comment

        • #5
          Quiet
          retired Goon
          • Mar 2007
          • 30242

          Originally posted by evlblkrfl
          Went to Turners yesterday to buy a Kimber K6s Target, Ruger 10/22 sporter
          and an Aero stripped lower. Guy behind the counter said I couldn't do
          that because of the 1 in 30 rule saying that the stripped lower could be made in to a centerline rifle. Is this true or should I just go somewhere else and buy the lower? I ended up buying the Kimber and Ruger there and wanted to investigate a little further before making my next move.
          Currently, the 1 in 30 day wait only applies to handguns and semi-auto centerfire rifles.

          An AR receiver is CA DROS'd as a "long gun, other, receiver".
          If it is being CA DROS'd as a "long gun, rifle, receiver", then the CA FFL dealer is incorrectly processing it.

          A stripped receiver does not have an action or a chamber/barrel, therefore it does not meet the requirements for being a semi-auto centerfire rifle.

          An AR receiver (ATF 4473 as "other" and CA DROS as "other, receiver") can be made into a CA legal centerfire other firearm, CA legal centerfire rifle, CA legal centerfire shotgun, CA legal rimfire other firearm, or CA legal rimfire rifle and operate as a CA legal manually operated repeating firearm, CA legal manually operated single-shot firearm, or a CA legal semi-auto firearm.


          Originally posted by Scratch705
          Lowers and most shotguns (i believe there is some shotguns that will count for the 1in30 but not common) are currently exempt from 1 in 30 days.

          This law does change where anything firearm is 1in30 either next year or 2024
          Starting 01-01-2024, the 1 in 30 day wait will apply to all firearms.
          Last edited by Quiet; 12-12-2022, 6:03 PM.
          sigpic

          "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

          Comment

          • #6
            evlblkrfl
            Member
            • Feb 2009
            • 476

            Just as I suspected but wasn't certain. Thanks everyone. I'll go get a lower somewhere else.

            Comment

            • #7
              baih777
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Jul 2011
              • 5680

              Always ask for the manager .
              Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
              I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
              I'm Back.

              Comment

              • #8
                gigante
                Member
                • Jun 2009
                • 297

                Lower not a 1 in 30

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57177

                  Originally posted by evlblkrfl
                  Went to Turners yesterday to buy a Kimber K6s Target, Ruger 10/22 sporter
                  and an Aero stripped lower. Guy behind the counter said I couldn't do
                  that because of the 1 in 30 rule saying that the stripped lower could be made in to a centerline rifle. Is this true or should I just go somewhere else and buy the lower? I ended up buying the Kimber and Ruger there and wanted to investigate a little further before making my next move.
                  You just got a counter monkey that does not know the law.
                  The lower is not a centerfire sem-auto rifle if it does not have an upper on it.
                  Go somewhere else and buy as many stripped lowers as you want.
                  Or break out your 03FFL/COE and tell them you are exempt and to run the DROS as an exempt transaction.
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ar15barrels
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 57177

                    Originally posted by CartridgeCalls
                    I believe lowers are exempt from the 1 in 30.
                    Originally posted by Scratch705
                    Lowers and most shotguns (i believe there is some shotguns that will count for the 1in30 but not common) are currently exempt from 1 in 30 days.
                    It's not that lowers are exemot.
                    It's that the law ONLY covers handguns and centerfire semi-auto rifles.

                    The stripped lower is neither of those so the law simply does not apply.

                    In order for something to be exempt, it would first have to be regulated and THEN have a specific exemption written into the law for it.
                    The law regulating people to 1 handgun or semi-auto centerfire rifle per 30 days only applies to handguns and centerfire semi-auto rifles.

                    However, starting January 1st of 2024, the turners counter monkey will be correct because that's when the law changes to ALL guns, not just handguns and semi-auto centerfire rifles.
                    Randall Rausch

                    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      xblax619
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Jan 2011
                      • 871

                      Originally posted by ar15barrels
                      It's not that lowers are exemot.
                      It's that the law ONLY covers handguns and centerfire semi-auto rifles.

                      The stripped lower is neither of those so the law simply does not apply.

                      In order for something to be exempt, it would first have to be regulated and THEN have a specific exemption written into the law for it.
                      The law regulating people to 1 handgun or semi-auto centerfire rifle per 30 days only applies to handguns and centerfire semi-auto rifles.

                      However, starting January 1st of 2024, the turners counter monkey will be correct because that's when the law changes to ALL guns, not just handguns and semi-auto centerfire rifles.
                      sigpic
                      Life member: NRA, CRPA, SAF

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Quiet
                        retired Goon
                        • Mar 2007
                        • 30242

                        Except in Los Angeles, PPTs will still be exempt from the 1 in 30 day wait.
                        ^Los Angeles has an ordinance that does not exempt PPTs from their 1 in 30 day wait laws for handguns.
                        sigpic

                        "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          L.A. Saiga
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2012
                          • 1795

                          pfff... That's Turdners for ya. Go to a better gun store
                          Here's my iTrader feedback: (iTrader score is 244. I have ZERO negative feedback) https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...user-l-a-saiga

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            joefrank64k
                            @ the Dark End of the Bar
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 10124

                            Originally posted by Quiet
                            Currently, the 1 in 30 day wait only applies to handguns and semi-auto centerfire rifles.

                            An AR receiver is CA DROS'd as a "long gun, other, receiver".
                            If it is being CA DROS'd as a "long gun, rifle, receiver", then the CA FFL dealer is incorrectly processing it.

                            A stripped receiver does not have an action or a chamber/barrel, therefore it does not meet the requirements for being a semi-auto centerfire rifle.

                            An AR receiver (ATF 4473 as "other" and CA DROS as "other, receiver") can be made into a CA legal centerfire other firearm, CA legal centerfire rifle, CA legal centerfire shotgun, CA legal rimfire other firearm, or CA legal rimfire rifle and operate as a CA legal manually operated repeating firearm, CA legal manually operated single-shot firearm, or a CA legal semi-auto firearm....
                            Could an AR receiver that was DROS'd as a "long gun, rifle, receiver" be made into a CA legal Other firearm (rifled bbl 16" or more, OAL 26" or more, no stock)

                            I ask because I have some lowers that have been DROS'd as "rifle" and some as "other".
                            You will never, in your life, have a chance like this again.
                            If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
                            Come on...what harm??

                            joefrank64k 251/251 100% iTrader?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Quiet
                              retired Goon
                              • Mar 2007
                              • 30242

                              Originally posted by joefrank64k
                              Could an AR receiver that was DROS'd as a "long gun, rifle, receiver" be made into a CA legal Other firearm (rifled bbl 16" or more, OAL 26" or more, no stock)

                              I ask because I have some lowers that have been DROS'd as "rifle" and some as "other".
                              Before 10-01-2021, the CA DROS system did not have an "other" subcategory for the "long gun" category.

                              There are no CA laws/regulations that prohibits a rifle or shotgun from being made into an other firearm that is not a pistol, rifle, or shotgun.

                              There are CA laws/regulations that prohibits a rifle from being made into a SBR and a shotgun from being made into a SBS.

                              Therefore, as long as the firearm is not configured to meet the definition of a SBR/SBS or the definition of an assault weapon, it is CA legal to make a rifle into an other firearm.



                              Penal Code 17170Penal Code 17180Penal Code 30515
                              sigpic

                              "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1