Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Alternative options to defer from using fin grip on AR15??

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jacktran25
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2020
    • 86

    Alternative options to defer from using fin grip on AR15??

    Just bought king pin by AR MAGLOCK to put in place instead of buying a fin grip. What else would I need to add or will this be enough to comply with "commiefornia's" RIDICULOUS gun laws?

    Any help would be appreciated as always.
  • #2
    Oldmandan
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 2721

    Hogue freedom fighter kit
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them" - Richard Henry Lee

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      jmpeal
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2011
      • 1248

      Sparrow grip or similar. At least you can get your whole hand around it and shoot almost normal unlike a complete fin.

      Comment

      • #4
        Sailormilan2
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • 3485

        I have 2 of the Generation III Thordsen stocks which I like. My sons have the Generation II which they like.

        While I know you said you didn't want a "fin grip", I have used both the MonsterMan and the VISM fin grips. I vastly prefer the VISM as it's a bit smaller and has a more rounded profile. It feels more comfortable in my hand.
        Attached Files

        Comment

        • #5
          kenl
          Senior Member
          • May 2012
          • 1723

          Sort of confused.

          Isn't the king pin used on a mag locked rifle? If so, you need to get the rest of the components to complete the conversion https://armaglock.com/product/ar-mag...-5-56-gen-2-2/ plus a restricted 10 round magazine. You can then switch to a normal pistol grip. I'm sure the people who prefer maglocked ARs will come up with some more good suggestions.

          Do you want to keep the rifle featureless and just get rid of the grip fin? I agree with the other posters, the thordson and sparrow grips are good options, and there are others out there. I like the thordson gen 2 stock better. Imho it looks good and just feels right. Replacing the fin grip would be a simple, potentially less expensive way to go, and you get to keep the standard mag release plus the ability to use standard capacity mags. The King Pin isn't needed on a featureless build.
          Last edited by kenl; 07-15-2022, 7:12 AM.
          sigpic

          California, the once-great first world state that is now a corrupt third world socialist cesspool.

          Comment

          • #6
            Maulerrr
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Oct 2016
            • 2058

            I like the sparrow dynamic grip. You can get a full hand and thumb around that grip. I'm just not too thrilled about the angle for my wrist with that setup.

            Comment

            • #7
              Djantlive
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2021
              • 612

              I use kydex wrapped fin. Take it off when you are at the range. No one ever cares or asks.

              Comment

              • #8
                Rcjackrabbit
                Senior Member
                • May 2012
                • 971

                Originally posted by Djantlive
                I use kydex wrapped fin. Take it off when you are at the range. No one ever cares or asks.
                And, have an ambi safety (FCD is the best) so you can use the rifle both ways.

                Comment

                • #9
                  sfvshooter
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2016
                  • 1200

                  I swear no one reads posts...they just post what they want.

                  OP asked what else is needed in addition to a kingpin, not alternatives to fingrips. Everyone is telling him what grips to use.

                  I'm assuming you bought the AR Maglock and a kingpin and not just a kingpin. You only need a maglock to make it "fixed" mag. Kingpin just makes it convenient to use, but not required. You can also go the Hogue freedom route, which requires drilling into a lower instead of an AR Maglock.

                  You still need a muzzle brake and can only use 10 round mags. Other than that, I think you're gtg. You can use collapsing stocks & pistol grip.

                  Anyone else can chime in if I missed anything.
                  Last edited by sfvshooter; 07-15-2022, 9:37 AM.
                  Too many rifles, not enough time...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    kenl
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2012
                    • 1723

                    ^ Hmmm, seems like reading comprehension may be more common than you think

                    His question was answered in this post

                    Originally posted by kenl
                    ....
                    Isn't the king pin used on a mag locked rifle? If so, you need to get the rest of the components to complete the conversion https://armaglock.com/product/ar-mag...-5-56-gen-2-2/ plus a restricted 10 round magazine. You can then switch to a normal pistol grip. I'm sure the people who prefer maglocked ARs will come up with some more good suggestions.
                    ...
                    sigpic

                    California, the once-great first world state that is now a corrupt third world socialist cesspool.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      sbo80
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2014
                      • 2265

                      Originally posted by sfvshooter
                      You still need a muzzle brake
                      No you don't. A rifle with a fixed mag cannot be an assault weapon due to features. You can have grips, flash hiders, and adjustable stocks - as long as the magazine is fixed. It's only when you have a detachable magazine that you must remove features. Hence - "featureless".

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        sfvshooter
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2016
                        • 1200

                        Originally posted by kenl
                        ^ Hmmm, seems like reading comprehension may be more common than you think

                        His question was answered in this post
                        Your mistake was assuming I read your post.
                        Too many rifles, not enough time...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sfvshooter
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2016
                          • 1200

                          Originally posted by sbo80
                          No you don't. A rifle with a fixed mag cannot be an assault weapon due to features. You can have grips, flash hiders, and adjustable stocks - as long as the magazine is fixed. It's only when you have a detachable magazine that you must remove features. Hence - "featureless".
                          Thanks for info. Learned something new today.
                          Too many rifles, not enough time...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            alpha_romeo_XV
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2006
                            • 3138

                            ? OP's title and post were not consistent. Title asked for "options" to fingrip then text asked what else maybe needed with a Maglock to comply in CA.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              edgerly779
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 19871

                              Sparrow dynamics or hammerhead grips.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1