Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What to do with these lowers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MrFancyPants
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2017
    • 1160

    What to do with these lowers?

    So I have a couple of AR-15 platform rifles already, and I have I think 3 lowers left to build something on. I haven't really decided what to do with them, hoping maybe the community can give me some insight. I have a few 5.56 and 223 Wylde rifles, a few 300 AAC (one is a pistol), a few 6.5 Grendel, a few 6.8 SPC, and a 458 SOCOM. There may or may not be some SBRs in the mix so I'm not worried about that. I have thought about building a 6mm ARC long barrel small game rifle since I've decided against a 224 Valkyrie which I was considering previously. Also thought about building a long heavy barrel 223, but given the limited effective range of 223 I don't know if it would be worth it for anything other than plinking. I do want a 22 LR converted AR-15 for training purposes for my boys when they get older so maybe I'll do that with one. I suppose I could build a 5.56 pistol with a 10" barrel? Or maybe a 223 Wylde 12" SBR. Maybe a 450 Bushmaster? Not sure if it would do anything the 458 SOCOM can't.

    Other than the calibers I've listed, am I missing anything worthwhile? I think I'm good on large frame ARs for now so I'm not thinking about those.
  • #2
    dousan
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 1291

    Comment

    • #3
      Ora Serrata
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2015
      • 1753

      7.62x39. I already have .556, 223 Wylde, and 300 aac. I also have an AK. My son and I had the chance to shoot an AR platform built in 7.62x39 and he enjoyed shooting that more than the other calibers. I didn’t think it would be much different from my AK, but it definitely had a very different feel and I liked it.

      Comment

      • #4
        Tere_Hanges
        Calguns Addict
        • Mar 2013
        • 6270

        Put some Colt 6920 uppers on them.
        CRPA and NRA member.

        Note that those who have repeatedly expressed enough vile and incoherent content as to render your views irrelevant, have been placed on my ignore list. Thank you for helping me improve my experience and direct my attention towards those who are worthy of it. God bless your toxic little souls.

        Comment

        • #5
          verdigris
          Member
          • Feb 2019
          • 305

          Been thinking of building a 6mm Arc…Necked down 6.5 Grendel. I love my Grendel’s but even better BC’s.

          Comment

          • #6
            naz
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2020
            • 3108

            my $0.02 is leave them unbuilt fit now and make sure you have your stash of parts, ammo, squared away, and leave cash on hand on in case the recession materializes

            Comment

            • #7
              Garbcollector
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2013
              • 2452

              6mm arc

              Comment

              • #8
                MrFancyPants
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2017
                • 1160

                Originally posted by Ora Serrata
                7.62x39.
                I had thought about that but I'd rather have an AK if I'm going to shoot 7.62x39. I do want to get an AK eventually but I want to wrap up my AR builds first.

                Originally posted by naz
                my $0.02 is leave them unbuilt fit now and make sure you have your stash of parts, ammo, squared away, and leave cash on hand on in case the recession materializes
                Right now I'm focused on getting the critical parts for all the builds in hand, ahead of whatever asinine fed regulations come down the pipe. I ordered two more BCGs on sale today for the 6.8 builds. I've been trying hard to restrict my monthly gun budget but sometimes I get a little out of control.

                Comment

                • #9
                  BrokerB
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 5455

                  10.5" 5.56 with flash can. Excellent trunk monkey that is convenient and will always have ammo laying around in all 50 states plus NATO world..supplies plenty
                  Beans and Bullets

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ar15barrels
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 57179

                    Originally posted by MrFancyPants
                    So I have a couple of AR-15 platform rifles already, and I have I think 3 lowers left to build something on. I haven't really decided what to do with them, hoping maybe the community can give me some insight. I have a few 5.56 and 223 Wylde rifles, a few 300 AAC (one is a pistol), a few 6.5 Grendel, a few 6.8 SPC, and a 458 SOCOM. There may or may not be some SBRs in the mix so I'm not worried about that. I have thought about building a 6mm ARC long barrel small game rifle since I've decided against a 224 Valkyrie which I was considering previously. Also thought about building a long heavy barrel 223, but given the limited effective range of 223 I don't know if it would be worth it for anything other than plinking. I do want a 22 LR converted AR-15 for training purposes for my boys when they get older so maybe I'll do that with one. I suppose I could build a 5.56 pistol with a 10" barrel? Or maybe a 223 Wylde 12" SBR. Maybe a 450 Bushmaster? Not sure if it would do anything the 458 SOCOM can't.

                    Other than the calibers I've listed, am I missing anything worthwhile? I think I'm good on large frame ARs for now so I'm not thinking about those.
                    How many boys do you have?
                    Build a 22LR and a 5.56 carbine for each of them.
                    Randall Rausch

                    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      MrFancyPants
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2017
                      • 1160

                      Originally posted by ar15barrels
                      How many boys do you have?

                      Build a 22LR and a 5.56 carbine for each of them.
                      Two boys (and a girl) and I already have them squared away with a box each full of parts to build their own on their 16th birthday. It'll be a good learning experience for them to go through the process. I also figure since an AR-22 would be a training gun, they can share it as I'll be with them and focused on one at a time.

                      Originally posted by BrokerB
                      10.5" 5.56 with flash can. Excellent trunk monkey that is convenient and will always have ammo laying around in all 50 states plus NATO world..supplies plenty
                      That's what I've been thinking for one of them.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        kenl
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2012
                        • 1723

                        Bear Creek sells a .22mag upper that looks good.
                        sigpic

                        California, the once-great first world state that is now a corrupt third world socialist cesspool.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          BajaJames83
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 6042

                          Mcx build and or 6x45 if you reload.
                          NRA Endowment Life Member
                          USMC 2001-2012

                          Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

                          John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
                          James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            walmart_ar15
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • 2342

                            Build pistols. 9mm, 300BO, between 8 - 10" barrel. Compact, full powder burn more stable platform than your typical handgun while provide more energy down range.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              MrFancyPants
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2017
                              • 1160

                              Originally posted by walmart_ar15
                              Build pistols. 9mm, 300BO, between 8 - 10" barrel. Compact, full powder burn more stable platform than your typical handgun while provide more energy down range.
                              So I already have a 10.5" blackout pistol, and I had looked into a 10mm AR pistol previously as I would think that would be a fun little compact, but I kept reading that the current options have very sketchy reliability. This was awhile ago so maybe they've gotten better.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1