Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Garage sale finds. Got me thinking...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dennis
    Member
    • Jun 2005
    • 265

    Garage sale finds. Got me thinking...

    I have a friend who loves to go to garage sales. He told me recently that he came across a box of what the owner said were disassembled magazines. She said her (now deceased) husband kept them that way so they would be legal. He didn't buy them, but thought of me. I just got off the phone with him. He asked if it was true.

    This is above my pay grade but got me thinking. That in itself can be dangerous sometimes. Is it in fact true that standard capacity magazine that are broken down into separate parts are in fact a legal way to possess. Perhaps, bring back into California? Provided they are never assembled here in CA.
    This also brought up another stupid question. I was flippin through the channels the other day. Storage wars was on and there were firearms in the unit that was bought. If something like this was in CA, how would you go about getting these firearms into you name? I would assume the owner of the facility would have to PPT them to you through an FFL. What if the owner didn't want to co-operate? Are there other ways to accomplish something like this? Simple declaration through cfars perhaps?
    Would like to buy 357 Maximum ammo.
  • #2
    SVT-40
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2008
    • 12907

    High capacity magazine parts kits are illegal to sell in Ca.

    Firearms "found" in storage locker are required to be turned in to the police.
    Poke'm with a stick!


    Originally posted by fiddletown
    What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

    Comment

    • #3
      The Gleam
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Feb 2011
      • 13460

      Geeeezz...

      I was at a garage sale today and bought a box of rectangular looking car parts that I think are seat-belt protector slip covers for a 1964 GAZ-21 Volga, or maybe ignition coil pack housings for a 1968 SAAB Sonett II, but can't be sure. Could also be older Makita DC power tool batterey covers.

      That's what they look like to me. I think I'll buy them, take them home, and figure it out later.

      They've got to be worth something.

      ---
      Last edited by The Gleam; 05-11-2022, 7:36 PM.
      -----------------------------------------------
      Originally posted by Librarian
      What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

      If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

      Comment

      • #4
        beanz2
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2008
        • 12032

        Originally posted by The Gleam
        Geeeezz...

        I was at a garage sale today and bought a box of rectangular looking car parts that I think are seat-belt protector slip covers for a 1964 GAZ-21 Volga, or maybe ignition coil pack housings for a 1968 SAAB Sonett II, but can't be sure. Could also be older Makita DC power tool batterey covers.

        That's what they look like to me. I think I'll buy them, take them home, and figure it out later.

        They've got to be worth something.

        ---
        sigpic
        The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.

        Comment

        • #5
          pacrat
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2014
          • 10285

          Originally posted by SVT-40

          Firearms "found" in storage locker are required to be turned in to the police.
          ^^^ No they are not. ^^^


          Storage wars was on and there were firearms in the unit that was bought. If something like this was in CA, how would you go about getting these firearms into you name? I would assume the owner of the facility would have to PPT them to you through an FFL.
          What if the owner didn't want to co-operate?
          Are there other ways to accomplish something like this? Simple declaration through cfars perhaps?
          In Ca.


          first bolded, ... You assume correctly. Those type Storage Wars type auctions are conducted by a Auctioneer. The auctioneer is Contracted by the owner of the business. To SELL ABANDONED PROPERTY left at a rental property. A completely separate set of laws control such property. ABANDONED v LOST/FOUND property is totally different.

          underlined ... That contract includes Power of Attorney for the sale of "abandoned" items inside the units. The purchaser contacts the Auctioneer and the Auctioneer acting as the LEGAL AGENT of unit owner, is the party that then goes to a FFL, and PPTs the gun to the purchaser. If the auctioneer/seller refused to do so. They committed the crime of illegally selling a firearm. Since His/Their business livelihood depends on following these laws. They don't break them.

          second bolded ... Sorry no, simply doing a VOLREG in CFARS doesn't work. BECAUSE THE GUN/GUNS WERE SOLD. By the person who legally possessed it/them as ABANDONED PROPERTY.

          That does work for a LANDLORD that retains an ABANDONED gun at a rental property. If he keeps it he can VOLREG it to them self. But if he sells it. He must PPT it to whomever he sells it to.

          NOTE ... Landlord, whether house, apartment, or storage unit, must make "REASONABLE EFFORT" to contact previous owner by mail, of abandoned property. And wait IIRC 14 days, before the abandoned property can be disposed of.

          Comment

          • #6
            The Gleam
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2011
            • 13460

            LOLOLOLOLL!!!

            ---
            -----------------------------------------------
            Originally posted by Librarian
            What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

            If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

            Comment

            • #7
              Dan_Eastvale
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Apr 2013
              • 10783

              Old GI Jerry Cans? My uncle brought me gas in these every week in Anaheim in 70s. As a student at UCI.
              Still legal?

              Comment

              • #8
                200Apples
                -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Dec 2011
                • 7217

                ^ ^ ^ The cans? Sure. It's the schnozzles that are C.A.R.B. off roster.
                .
                "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

                NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57181

                  Originally posted by 200Apples
                  ^ ^ ^ The cans? Sure. It's the schnozzles that are C.A.R.B. off roster.
                  Water and Diesel nozzles are not regulated.
                  They are just a different color...

                  I use a green water can nozzle on my red fuel cans.
                  Works just fine.

                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SVT-40
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 12907

                    Originally posted by pacrat
                    ^^^ No they are not. ^^^




                    In Ca.


                    first bolded, ... You assume correctly. Those type Storage Wars type auctions are conducted by a Auctioneer. The auctioneer is Contracted by the owner of the business. To SELL ABANDONED PROPERTY left at a rental property. A completely separate set of laws control such property. ABANDONED v LOST/FOUND property is totally different.

                    underlined ... That contract includes Power of Attorney for the sale of "abandoned" items inside the units. The purchaser contacts the Auctioneer and the Auctioneer acting as the LEGAL AGENT of unit owner, is the party that then goes to a FFL, and PPTs the gun to the purchaser. If the auctioneer/seller refused to do so. They committed the crime of illegally selling a firearm. Since His/Their business livelihood depends on following these laws. They don't break them.

                    second bolded ... Sorry no, simply doing a VOLREG in CFARS doesn't work. BECAUSE THE GUN/GUNS WERE SOLD. By the person who legally possessed it/them as ABANDONED PROPERTY.

                    That does work for a LANDLORD that retains an ABANDONED gun at a rental property. If he keeps it he can VOLREG it to them self. But if he sells it. He must PPT it to whomever he sells it to.

                    NOTE ... Landlord, whether house, apartment, or storage unit, must make "REASONABLE EFFORT" to contact previous owner by mail, of abandoned property. And wait IIRC 14 days, before the abandoned property can be disposed of.


                    You always post this drivel...

                    But it's just not legal.
                    Poke'm with a stick!


                    Originally posted by fiddletown
                    What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57181

                      Originally posted by SVT-40
                      You always post this drivel...

                      But it's just not legal.
                      I don't know if it's legal or not but you should post the relevant PC to support a claim that it's illegal.

                      There is no PC to post if it's legal because anything that's not specifically forbidden is legal.
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Dennis
                        Member
                        • Jun 2005
                        • 265

                        Originally posted by SVT-40
                        High capacity magazine parts kits are illegal to sell in Ca.
                        For sale in CA is not what I am asking about. If I'm visiting family in Tennessee and buy a few 30 mags, can I disassemble them and bring them back with me to CA. Never to be assembled in CA. Parts only taken with me on trips out of state to shoot.

                        Would that be against the law?
                        Would like to buy 357 Maximum ammo.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          G-forceJunkie
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jul 2010
                          • 6479

                          Because a disassembled high cap is the exact definition of a "high capacity magazine kit." Yes, against the law.

                          Originally posted by Dennis
                          For sale in CA is not what I am asking about. If I'm visiting family in Tennessee and buy a few 30 mags, can I disassemble them and bring them back with me to CA. Never to be assembled in CA. Parts only taken with me on trips out of state to shoot.

                          Would that be against the law?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            sigstroker
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 19896

                            Originally posted by The Gleam
                            maybe ignition coil pack housings for a 1968 SAAB Sonett II,
                            Ha, a friend of mine had a SAAB Sonnett III. What a weird pile.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              sigstroker
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 19896

                              Originally posted by Dennis
                              For sale in CA is not what I am asking about. If I'm visiting family in Tennessee and buy a few 30 mags, can I disassemble them and bring them back with me to CA. Never to be assembled in CA. Parts only taken with me on trips out of state to shoot.

                              Would that be against the law?
                              I think it's illegal to import a "kit". I haven't seen anything illegal about importing mag bodies or springs. Or other parts that aren't a "kit", like floorplates or followers that might fit in a priority mail box.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1