Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Cutting foam in Pelican case

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    CoopsDad
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 1710

    This is the thread that brought me here:

    Comment

    • #17
      vinny_land
      CGN Contributor
      • Dec 2007
      • 3374

      I use an electric turkey cutting knife from Walmart. Traced the outline with a sharpie and followed the line - very happy how it turned out.
      "1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag"

      sigpic

      Comment

      • #18
        ditchdigger
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2010
        • 976

        Electric carving knife and a sharpie.

        Put the rifle on the foam facing the opposite direction that you want. Hold the sharpie vertical and trace around the rifle.

        Cut the foam on the inside of the sharpie mark.

        Flip the foam over and put it in the case. Left over sharpie marks don't show and the rifle fits snug.

        Comment

        • #19
          d33pt
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 1643

          I need some foam for a 1750...where's a cheap place to buy replacement? I won't be cutting it, just sandwiching the rifles in there.

          Comment

          • #20
            tigerpan
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2012
            • 2197

            I heard using elec bread knife is best way to do it.
            Back in the day you can get one for 5buck at goodwill

            Comment

            • #21
              Fat Old Guy
              Member
              • Mar 2020
              • 292

              [QUOTE

              Has anyone ever tried this or have any idea if this will work or just make a mess?[/QUOTE]

              No matter how thin the hacksaw blade is, I feel like teeth will just snag on the foam.

              I did mine with a scalpel and that made a nice clean edge. I'd like to see pictures of the finished product if you use the wire and transformer method.
              sigpic

              1. Treat all guns as if loaded (even when you know they aren't).
              2. Never point the muzzle at anything you aren't willing to destroy.
              3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.
              4. Know your target and what is beyond it (avoid all collateral damage).

              "Si vis pacem, para bellum" - If you want peace, prepare for war

              Comment

              • #22
                wurger
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2011
                • 1433

                Originally posted by ditchdigger
                Electric carving knife and a sharpie.

                Put the rifle on the foam facing the opposite direction that you want. Hold the sharpie vertical and trace around the rifle.

                Cut the foam on the inside of the sharpie mark.

                Flip the foam over and put it in the case. Left over sharpie marks don't show and the rifle fits snug.
                This.

                Comment

                • #23
                  ditchdigger
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2010
                  • 976

                  Originally posted by d33pt
                  I need some foam for a 1750...where's a cheap place to buy replacement? I won't be cutting it, just sandwiching the rifles in there.
                  Amazon

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    sbo80
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2014
                    • 2265

                    Originally posted by ditchdigger
                    Electric carving knife and a sharpie.
                    hands down the easiest way. Fast and little mess. Tiny slots, like for magazines, might be difficult. But a full long gun is dummy simple.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      L84CABO
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 8779

                      Pro Tip: Ditch the foam altogether and pickup a soft case that fits inside the pelican.

                      This make your case infinitely more versatile since you can carry any rifle in it and not just the rifle your foam was cut for.

                      Pelican cases are also heavy, bulky, and overkill for most situations. A soft case allows you to leave the heavy hard case back at the hotel room once you get to your destination, and just use the soft case.
                      "Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

                      Fighter Pilot

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        bigboyshooter
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 812

                        If you end messing it up and want some custom foam, hit these guys up. They’ll be doing my next case because they’re local in Escondido. https://www.gunfoam.com/

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          MrFeetZ
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 545

                          Ive tried several different tools and dozens of different methods. In the end, the best thing I found was a company to custom cut it themselves. I did electric carving knives and results were meh. I tried razor blades of several different types and lengths. I built a hot wire cutter and when that didn't work, I bought an extra large table-top hot wire foam cutter. But still wasn't able to achieve results I liked. It was very hard to keep cuts straight and not cantered. Plus the foam was all open cell, polyurethane. Closed cell polyethylene is much better. Easier to cut and doesn't absorb moisture or oils. There is also layered stuff called Fastcap Kaizen Foam that is even better. The foam isn't priced too bad but shipping SUKS! Best price I found on the Kaizen was home depot believe it or not. I then found this website called mycasebuilder.com and they have a pretty genius web based program that is very easy to custom design your cuts based on whatever case you want. It is more expensive than doing them your self but the results are stellar. Ill see if I can post a pic of it. My friend did one for his keltec from caseclub.com But i think it was premade, not specifically custom cut. It was lower cost than what I spent though and still looks pretty good.


                          Last edited by MrFeetZ; 09-28-2021, 12:24 AM.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Robotron2k84
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2017
                            • 2013

                            If you need custom foam, you need MyCaseBuilder. Design your own custom foam case with our easy-to-use web application.


                            /thread (seriously)

                            Water-jet cut and glued to a G10 or similar backing. Can cut at multiple depths. Excellent fit and several types of foam to choose from.

                            .
                            Last edited by Robotron2k84; 09-28-2021, 2:29 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              five.five-six
                              CGN Contributor
                              • May 2006
                              • 34928

                              Originally posted by d33pt
                              I need some foam for a 1750...where's a cheap place to buy replacement? I won't be cutting it, just sandwiching the rifles in there.
                              Cheep foam is cheap foam. Good foam is not cheep foam.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                five.five-six
                                CGN Contributor
                                • May 2006
                                • 34928

                                Feetz and robotron, your cases look awesome!!!

                                Here is one I did with pick-n-pluck and toothpicks. Not as awesome but finished in an hour.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1