Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 spare parts

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ltzgolf
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Dec 2012
    • 373

    1911 spare parts

  • #2
    ojisan
    Agent 86
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2008
    • 11781

    Firing pin
    Extractor
    Ejector

    Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
    I don't really care, I just like to argue.

    Comment

    • #3
      Uncivil Engineer
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2016
      • 1101

      Originally posted by ojisan
      Firing pin
      Extractor
      Ejector
      To replace an ejector you will need the cross pin and the left handed 1/16 drill bit to fit it.

      Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #4
        ojisan
        Agent 86
        CGN Contributor
        • Apr 2008
        • 11781

        Re-use the cross pin, ejectors are made pre-grooved for the pin.
        Best thing to do is pre-fit the spares so they drop-in when needed.
        Ideally you would have every part as a spare, but many parts really don't fail that often.

        1911 or other gun, these three items are what I see broken most often in used guns.

        Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
        I don't really care, I just like to argue.

        Comment

        • #5
          Old Flash
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 1224

          In addition to what's been mentioned, sear spring. And if your spare ejector is extended, tune it to eject properly and not get hit by top of magazine. (Some ejectors to do not come pre-grooved for the pin. I run some of my ejectors without the pin but that's just me.)

          Comment

          • #6
            eaglemike
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jan 2008
            • 3958

            In addition to the above;
            Mainspring, or hammer spring. Maybe the parts for the top and bottom of this that go in the mainspring housing in case they get launched.
            Firing pin retaining plate.
            Magazine catch spring, and maybe the magazine catch retainer (just in case you drop it it)
            I'd even have a spare hammer, sear, and disconnector. Mil spec parts used to be really cheap, maybe still are. Reliable, usually work without fitting. Likely won't have a crisp 4 lb or under trigger pull, but it will go bang every time.
            There are some people that it's just not worth engaging.

            It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?

            Comment

            • #7
              SkyHawk
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Sep 2012
              • 23531

              Originally posted by ojisan
              Re-use the cross pin, ejectors are made pre-grooved for the pin.
              Best thing to do is pre-fit the spares so they drop-in when needed.
              Ideally you would have every part as a spare, but many parts really don't fail that often.

              1911 or other gun, these three items are what I see broken most often in used guns.
              When I have purchased Colt ejectors in the past there were no pre grooved anything. Which is a good thing, IMO.

              And I don't know that you need a left handed bit, if you can otherwise clamp the ejector in tight when you drill. I prefer to install and mark the ejector or drill it with a smaller bit, then finish the hole with the ejector outside the gun so I can bias it ever so slightly high. You can even finish the hole with a small file. If the hole is set just a little high the ejector will be drawn in tight when the pin is installed.
              Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-10-2021, 1:26 PM.
              Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

              Comment

              • #8
                ojisan
                Agent 86
                CGN Contributor
                • Apr 2008
                • 11781

                Maybe factory Colt ones are not pre-grooved (no surprise due to Colt's hand fitting so many parts) but pre-grooved are available for those who can't fit their own.
                Many here:


                Agree with your method.
                I mark and file to fit.

                Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
                I don't really care, I just like to argue.

                Comment

                • #9
                  The War Wagon
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 10294

                  I'm sure if you dig around the classifieds, you'll find some spare parts...
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ltzgolf
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 373

                    Originally posted by The War Wagon
                    I'm sure if you dig around the classifieds, you'll find some spare parts...

                    Been looking. Not many available at this time. Going to hit up local guy here in corona. I have a sig, kimber, Springfield and a colt M45A1 in jail at the moment.


                    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57175

                      Originally posted by Uncivil Engineer
                      To replace an ejector you will need the cross pin and the left handed 1/16 drill bit to fit it.
                      You don't really need a left handed drill bit.
                      Just clamp the ejector into the frame so it does not try to pop up during drilling.
                      I made a fixture for this years ago.
                      Looks like Apex sells one now.
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        naz
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2020
                        • 3108

                        If it’s your favorite buy another one and keep it in your safe for later

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Jimi Jah
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2014
                          • 19235

                          An extra 1911 has all the spare parts.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            The War Wagon
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 10294

                            Originally posted by Jimi Jah
                            An extra 1911 has all the spare parts.



                            Woot!


                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              omega
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2005
                              • 3114

                              all fire control parts, just in case

                              spare hammer, sear , disconnector & pins , trigger

                              all it takes is bad trigger job or worn parts

                              firing pin spring , firing pin

                              thumb safety ( Ive heard of these breaking)

                              extra magazines
                              Last edited by omega; 01-11-2021, 11:31 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1