Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Variety vs Proficiency

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Wordupmybrotha
    From anotha motha
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2013
    • 6965

    Proficiency of one gun > proficiency of multiple guns

    Fun factor of variety > fun factor of one gun


    - good shooting fundamentals will carry over to all guns, however mastering one gun is easier than splitting time amongst multiple platforms
    - find a balance between proficiency and fun

    Comment

    • #17
      MrFancyPants
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2017
      • 1160

      There's an old saying: beware the man who only owns one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

      That said, I own many. When target shooting, don't get so caught up in how close the holes are together, unless you're in a match. If you can group your shots together in a basketball sized area from 10-15 yards out, you're good. That's all you need in a self defense situation.

      Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #18
        Fastattack
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2008
        • 1663

        For me, it is variety, for sure. It's all about choices. What do I feel like shooting today?
        I'd get bored with only one or two calibers.

        Comment

        • #19
          rodralig
          CGN Contributor
          • Apr 2016
          • 4262

          Originally posted by MrFancyPants
          When target shooting, don't get so caught up in how close the holes are together, unless you're in a match. If you can group your shots together in a basketball sized area from 10-15 yards out, you're good. That's all you need in a self defense situation.
          Imagine being in a target shooting scenario where you are flat-footed and non-stressed in a well lit indoor range and you are grouping 10-inches at 10-yards with a slow fire cadence.

          Now, imagine a self-defense scenario when you are moving and adrenaline pumping, the target has a brain and is moving - imagine how much bigger the group sizes would be when you need to shoot at speed? I bet it would at least double, say 20-inches to begin with - that is a huge margin of error...


          _

          WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

          Comment

          • #20
            BigPimping
            CGN Contributor
            • Feb 2010
            • 21487

            I have a Glock 22 in 40 s&w. Everything else I own is in 9 mm in terms of handguns. I'm not interested in committing to another caliber which is going to just cost more money in the long run.

            I do not reload because I do not have the space too commit to anything like that. Also I've never done it before and I would probably wind up blowing myself up.
            sigpic

            PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

            When pimping begins, friendship ends.

            Don't let your history be a mystery

            Comment

            • #21
              billped
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 2504

              I kind of took this in two directions...

              While most of my handguns are 9mm and Glock/Sig to give me caliber, shooting, and take-down commonality (that last one is HUGE), I do have others along with a bit of ammo for each ("a bit" is a freaking lot for some folks).

              I have a Glock 20 (10mm) and a Ruger .357mag to train myself to not flinch with smaller calibers and to give me guns in uncommon calibers in case ammo gets short - like now! The G20 also let's me shoot .40 and the .357mag gives me 38spec if I need it.

              I have a Sig P238 in case I need a small and lightweight gun at some point. As I'm moving to a CCW-friendly area, this could be nice.

              And I have a .22 for when I'm shooting with a complete novice.
              Bill

              Comment

              • #22
                Mtndewking
                Member
                • Sep 2017
                • 282

                Variety is the spice of life.
                https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...r.php?u=284734

                Comment

                • #23
                  The Gleam
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 13465

                  Variety = Fun.

                  Proficiency = Utility.

                  I don't see a point in applying a 'vs.' aspect.

                  Many guns can simply be fun, but no, I would not trust my life or even shooting for accuracy at the range to them.

                  Variety can mean hundreds of guns in a collection, but where proficiency applies is maybe a certain 3 or 4 guns (meaning combined of handgun, rifle, shotgun) for which one is proficient and trains with those.

                  However, for every time I go to the range with that "one" gun to shoot hundreds of rounds through, I take about 3 or 4 others just to have a little bit of fun with which maybe just see 50 rounds or less for what they are (such as rare, C&R, odd-ball stuff, or something just to try out.)

                  Sometimes guns are just fun - 'tactical' need not apply.
                  -----------------------------------------------
                  Originally posted by Librarian
                  What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

                  If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    BajaJames83
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 6043

                    Whole there are differences the fundamentals remain the same and having diverse knowledge is a good thing IMHO.
                    NRA Endowment Life Member
                    USMC 2001-2012

                    Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

                    John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
                    James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      The War Wagon
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 10294

                      Originally posted by igs
                      Find something you like and buy two SIX of them.



                      FIFY.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        theLBC
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Oct 2017
                        • 7393

                        i only train with my p226 and p229, but i enjoy shooting other people's guns so i don't discourage anyone from collecting a variety.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          DRM6000
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 5966

                          Have fun with a variety of firearms and become proficient at shooting them all.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            1911RONIN
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 1992

                            ?Seek the Lord while He may be found?

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              BigPimping
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Feb 2010
                              • 21487

                              Gaston makes a wide variety of firearms. There's one for everybody!!!

                              I hear there's one made from porcelain as well!!!
                              sigpic

                              PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                              When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                              Don't let your history be a mystery

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                hightag
                                Junior Member
                                • Nov 2020
                                • 7

                                I've had to make similar decision few months ago. To me there's no right or wrong way about how you buy or sell off your guns. Just keep it fun and natural, no overthinking.
                                Buy when you feel like and sell off whenever you want to.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1