Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New long gun suggestion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    ACfixer
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2012
    • 6080

    Henry, case colored .357 with the octagon barrel. I have one in .44, it might be my favorite gun.



    Just as an example, you can probably find it for a hundred or two less... but Henrys are hot right now on Gunbroker.
    Buy made in USA whenever possible.

    Comment

    • #17
      larkja
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2013
      • 1362

      Originally posted by ACfixer
      Henry, case colored .357 with the octagon barrel. I have one in .44, it might be my favorite gun.



      Just as an example, you can probably find it for a hundred or two less... but Henrys are hot right now on Gunbroker.
      I was looking at that one too. Pretty pricey, but in this day and age, might just have to pony up.

      Comment

      • #18
        ACfixer
        Calguns Addict
        • Feb 2012
        • 6080

        Originally posted by larkja
        I was looking at that one too. Pretty pricey, but in this day and age, might just have to pony up.
        You can save a few hundred on the round barrel blued model, but man their case coloring is really sweet. Here's my .44, I added the bigger loop and the Leupold of course. Henry is really making some nice stuff right now.

        Attached Files
        Buy made in USA whenever possible.

        Comment

        • #19
          larkja
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2013
          • 1362

          Found a couple straight for sale over on GB.

          One's a steel 20", round barrel, no side loading gate for $800 - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888467882

          One's a color case hardened 20", octagon barrel, with loading gate for $1,400 - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888444221

          I have had some Winchesters, Marlins, etc. and frankly really don't like the side loading gate, so the magazine tube appeals to me a bit more. Any reason why I should spend the extra $600 and get the side loading gate? And yes, I realize it comes with both the gate and tube loader. Just not sure it's worth the extra $600.

          Thanks

          Comment

          • #20
            Imageview
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2018
            • 1629

            For just a fun gun, it matters less. The Henry's have a better reputation for the side gate than the Marlin's, which are picky with how you load 357 (has to be a specific angle, you get used to it quick).

            I love my remlin, but the prices on any Marlin in 357 are nuts these days. I'd hold out for a side gate personally, I like being able to top off, but your milage may vary. Definitely take a look at Skinner sights whichever you pick, I have the express with scope mount and it's by far my favorite out of the options available.

            Comment

            • #21
              PaperTarget
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2012
              • 786

              OP, from what you described, I'd say the Lever in .357 will be the natural and best choice for now. I hope you have fun shopping for one and shooting it.

              Comment

              • #22
                The War Wagon
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Apr 2011
                • 10294

                AR, in oddball caliber - that way you can find ammo. 6.5 or 6.8SPC is where I'd be looking.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #23
                  golfish
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Mar 2013
                  • 10124

                  I'd suggest a lever gun but then there is this bolt gun in .357

                  It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
                  Happiness is a warm gun.

                  MLC, First 3

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    S.A.
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 2111

                    Timberwolf in .357 pump action, but they are pricey

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      larkja
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2013
                      • 1362

                      Thanks for all the suggestions. Was going to get one of the steel versions, but then came across the silver - https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-silver/

                      It's a bit shiny, but I love the wood, the barrel, and everything about it. I'm usually a bit more conservative and don't go for bling, but I really like this one. I'll post pics when it's in my hands.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        plumbum
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2010
                        • 5394

                        ^WINNER!
                        Great choice - a .357 carbine is a thing of beauty.

                        edit: dang, I actually stared at the link... I think I might need one of those too!
                        Originally posted by ysr_racer
                        Please don't bring logic and reason into an interwebs discussion

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          larkja
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2013
                          • 1362

                          ^^^ Thanks

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            RiskyBusiness
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2017
                            • 2150

                            Definitely aim for a side loading gate. I got a remlin and looking to add a 2nd in either 357 or 44
                            https://imgur.com/a/yO4kS

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              BigPimping
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Feb 2010
                              • 21481

                              OMG get an AUG!!!!

                              Yes yes yes!!!
                              sigpic

                              PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                              When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                              Don't let your history be a mystery

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                ar15barrels
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jan 2006
                                • 57175

                                Originally posted by larkja
                                Turning to the community to help narrow down a purchase. Looking for a long gun as a range toy and home defense. Where I am:

                                Have a .357 handgun and considering a lever (Henry or Marlin) to complement. Have a bunch of .38 special plinking ammo so could go for a while. However, I have had levers before, and shooting from a bench is a bit of a pain.

                                Have a 16 gauge Browning A5 Sweet 16 from the '50s that has been in the family since new. Have around 300 rounds of shot and 100 slugs. This gun never gets shot but is in working condition. Pretty much a safe queen.

                                Considerations:
                                1. Do I pick up a lever in .357/.38 to go with the revolver?
                                2. Do I pick up another 16 gauge shotgun since I already have the ammo? Was looking at one of the new Browning 16 gauge offerings.
                                3. Do I pick up something like a Winchester SXP or Remington 870 in 20 gauge and start purchasing shot since it's available and not too expensive yet. If I go this route, I would purchase a bird and rifled slug barrel so I could have some fun at the range. But by the time I purchase an extra barrel, and ammo, I'll be close to the price of the 16 gauge Browning.

                                Presently, I have been enjoying range time with my .22LR rifles since I have the ammo and they're fun to shoot. The long gun I am looking to purchase would, probably, not get a lot of range use since I have a couple 22lr rifles.

                                Budget:
                                No more than $2,000 all-in.

                                Thanks
                                You don't mention having a 223/5.56 or 9mm carbine of any sort.
                                You SHOULD get an AR type 223/5.56 or even a 9mm carbine before you get another shotgun or a lever gun.
                                A Ruger PC9 is a more friendly setup than most featureless AR's.
                                Last edited by ar15barrels; 01-01-2021, 12:35 PM.
                                Randall Rausch

                                AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                                Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                                Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                                Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                                Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1