Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Support hand thumb position...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    damon1272
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2006
    • 4857

    For me thumbs forward works best. Bad part is with large hands it is easy to engage the slide stop. I have modified my grip so my firing thumb is resting on my support hand on the meat of my thumb.

    The thumbs up works well and is also taught at front site. Works well for 1911’s too unless you have a gas pedal/thumb safety. Helps not influence your hold by apply too much thumb.

    I would say understand different styles and then take what works best for you. Especially at speed. What may work great for slow fire or accuracy may not work so well when you only have 1.2 seconds to get your shot off.

    Comment

    • #17
      rodralig
      CGN Contributor
      • Apr 2016
      • 4262

      No one right way but there are some wrong ways... Hhhmmm... I don’t think that made much sense.

      Oh well - use what works best for you!

      Did you see the video of a USPSA shooter that made Grand Master in a few months and was more-or-less in the Top 20 in the Nationals, shooting a sub-compact Glock 26?

      If so, did you see his unconventional grip?

      Personally for me - shooting hand thumb is flagged up to allow space on the grip handle for the support hand to better hold the gun. My long support hand thumb is pointed down. See photo... Allows me to further cant my support hand further to aid in recoil management at speed.

      It works well enough for me in sports shooting - accuracy at speed. In my first time at Front Sight in December 2018 - DGed with a perfect score. So, it does work.





      _


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by rodralig; 11-10-2020, 7:57 AM.

      WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

      Comment

      • #18
        Pofoo
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2009
        • 1689

        Originally posted by n8vrmind
        Doesn't matter as long you are able to hit at what you are aiming at.
        I think this is mostly true.
        This is how I was taught 50 yrs ago.
        I have now changed as to the photo with parallel thumbs, but I'm not sure I shoot any better.
        IF you look at a bunch of professional shooters, you will see that there is a variety of stances and grips.
        What works best for you does not necessarily work best for me.
        And changing a style does not necessarily improve your shooting.
        But, it doesn't hurt to try.

        Comment

        • #19
          Vinnie Boombatz
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2020
          • 3036

          Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

          I get it with the mindset of, "whatever works for you as long as you're hitting your target." Same things cam apply to playing guitar. I've been playing for a long time, and int he last several years started taking it a little more seriously, and have pretty much adopted the "whatever works for you" approach. That's for sure a valid approach, but it can also get you in trouble once you start to refine things and progress, and then you'll find yourself taking a bunch of steps backwards and having to relearn how to do things properly, when you could have just learned it the right way the first time, hence the reason I asked the question.

          I have found that I do prefer one way over the other. Hoping to get out to the range Thursday to experiment some more (and try it out with a couple different handguns. All I've owned are a couple Berettas and pick up an XD-9 tomorrow (it's actually ready for pickup today, but I have class all day today until 4pm and won't get a chance to go pick it up).

          I love the Berettas (92FS, M9A1) and have fine-tuned them and dialed them in to made them even better with a few simple, and pretty affordable changes (decocker only kit, oversized mag release, D-spring and Beretta walnut grips).
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #20
            rodralig
            CGN Contributor
            • Apr 2016
            • 4262

            Originally posted by Vinnie Boombatz
            That's for sure a valid approach, but it can also get you in trouble once you start to refine things and progress, and then you'll find yourself taking a bunch of steps backwards and having to relearn how to do things properly, when you could have just learned it the right way the first time, hence the reason I asked the question.
            And that is the FUN part! It is all about LEARNING and EVOLVING!

            Remember that it was Weaver way back... And now it's Isoceles... Do you think it would be Iso all throughout? I bet it is going to "change" again...

            Iron sights before, and now carry optics...



            PS: I am right now "re-learning" / "re-doing" my reload to adapt to new use cases: presbyopia, moving faster between positions, type of gun, etc. It's a few steps backward as I am again slow since it is still a conscious set of actions... And it's hard... But that is part of learning/growing!




            _
            Last edited by rodralig; 11-10-2020, 9:28 AM.

            WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

            Comment

            • #21
              Pofoo
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2009
              • 1689

              Originally posted by n8vrmind
              Doesn't matter as long you are able to hit at what you are aiming at.
              I think this is mostly true.
              This is how I was taught 50 yrs ago.
              I have now changed as to the photo with parallel thumbs, but I'm not sure I shoot any better.
              IF you look at a bunch of professional shooters, you will see that there is a variety of stances and grips.
              What works best for you does not necessarily work best for me.
              And changing a style does not necessarily improve your shooting.
              But, it doesn't hurt to try.

              Comment

              • #22
                n8vrmind
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2017
                • 1484

                Comment

                • #23
                  Whiskey3
                  Member
                  • Jan 2017
                  • 203

                  Thumbs forward, for me.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    beretta929mm
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 1492

                    anywhere that will not interfere with your handgun's operation.
                    thumb forward is not for revolvers

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      OCEquestrian
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jun 2017
                      • 6905

                      Originally posted by beretta929mm
                      thumb forward is not for revolvers
                      Agreed, I should have made that clear in my post above...
                      "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue." ----Sen. Barry Goldwater

                      Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

                      NRA life member
                      SAF life member
                      CRPA member

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        hambam105
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 7083

                        How many trips back & forth to that place does it take just to figure out where your support side thumb belongs for optimum grip?

                        Ask for your money back.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          9kracing
                          Member
                          • Sep 2014
                          • 406



                          This made sense to me so it's what I do
                          Last edited by 9kracing; 11-10-2020, 11:35 PM.
                          **WTB Northtech Defense upper receiver**

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            OCEquestrian
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jun 2017
                            • 6905

                            Originally posted by 9kracing


                            This made sense to me so it's what I do
                            ^^^^ THIS is one of the very best video's on correct semi auto handgun grip I have seen. Not only is it correct, like any good professional instructor, he explains why and then he demo's why!
                            "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue." ----Sen. Barry Goldwater

                            Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

                            NRA life member
                            SAF life member
                            CRPA member

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Pofoo
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 1689

                              Originally posted by Vinnie Boombatz
                              I see a few different ways to place the support hand thumb. Some rotate the wrist and have the thumb more forward facing. Others will place the support hand thumb over the firing hand's thumb.

                              What's the right way? Front Sight teaches the second way mentioned above, but it seems like more people use the first technique mentioned.

                              I can also see the second way mentioned not being favored by Front Sight because it makes it tough to see if the trigger finger is off the trigger because the support thumb is obstructing the view.



                              I'm assuming that this picture is just for training purposes only.
                              If you put a straight edge along the bottom edge of the slide, you will see that this guy is going to get a major slide bite on his top hand.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                QuinnBayArea
                                Member
                                • Feb 2020
                                • 353

                                Originally posted by rodralig
                                No one right way but there are some wrong ways...

                                Oh well - use what works best for you!

                                Did you see the video of a USPSA shooter that made Grand Master in a few months and was more-or-less in the Top 20 in the Nationals, shooting a sub-compact Glock 26?

                                If so, did you see his unconventional grip?

                                Personally for me - shooting hand thumb is flagged up to allow space on the grip handle for the support hand to better hold the gun. My long support hand thumb is pointed down. See photo... Allows me to further cant my support hand further to aid in recoil management at speed.

                                It works well enough for me in sports shooting - accuracy at speed. In my first time at Front Sight in December 2018 - DGed with a perfect score. So, it does work.





                                _


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


                                Is this the guy that did MilSim AirSoft for years in Japan I think? He was on a TRex Arms YouTube video, had never fired a real gun, but did MilSerp AirSoft for years. YouTuber thought he was being punked the guy did so well.


                                My method is: as much skin as I can get on the gun.
                                Best Collateral Pawn in SSF, we are doing PPTs by appointment. Call 650 589 4433, ask for Rowland or Ron

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1