Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best NON-Electronic/passive Ear Muffs for shooting?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ENTHUSIAST
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 4440

    Best NON-Electronic/passive Ear Muffs for shooting?

    I was looking for good quality passive ear muffs to wear over foam ear plugs what brand do you guys recommend?

    Howard Leight?

    Walker’s?

    Peltor?
    Last edited by ENTHUSIAST; 10-19-2020, 8:10 PM.
  • #2
    Epaphroditus
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2013
    • 4888

    Get ones that fit. Put foamies in first.
    CA firearms laws timeline BLM land maps

    Comment

    • #3
      CWL
      Senior Member
      CGN Contributor
      • Aug 2009
      • 1488

      Originally posted by Epaphroditus
      Get ones that fit. Put foamies in first.
      This and decide for yourself what dB rating you want.
      Vae Victis

      Comment

      • #4
        madland
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2011
        • 1292

        Check out Decibel Defense on Amazon. My son wears these while playing drums. $25 and they kick butt!!

        Comment

        • #5
          tabascoz28
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2016
          • 3364

          I don't think people are putting in foams correctly. It has to be really thin and jammed in the ear canal. Once in you can't hear anything and won't interfere with cheek weld on shotgun and rifles. The only reason I don't like them is for long durations they hurt, like an ache not sharp.

          Comment

          • #6
            squeeze
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2011
            • 1341

            For me; brand is irrelevant. Some fit better than others. e.g. some fit around my ears and others have such small opening that they squeeze down on my ear and hurt after awhile. When shooting pistol or rifle I always double up. Trap and skeet-no muffs as they bang on the stock. I find these inserts to be better than foams or muffs. I use them to double up. Wet'em and insert firmly. really work well!

            Last edited by squeeze; 07-27-2021, 12:54 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              naz
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2020
              • 3108

              OP, out of curiosity? Why passive? Being able to hear range commands is a key thing.

              I use 30db deduction foamies and 23db reduction walker electronic with the gel ear pads and it was been ok. I try to wear with the headband tilted a bit forward so it doesn’t mess with my cheek weld when using a long gun (and so I don’t inadvertently move the ear muffs right before I fire...

              Comment

              • #8
                M76
                Calguns Addict
                • Apr 2014
                • 5953



                sigpic
                Originally posted by dunndeal
                Stop digging.
                Originally posted by BrassCase
                I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
                iTrader

                https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858

                Comment

                • #9
                  Wordupmybrotha
                  From anotha motha
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2013
                  • 6965

                  Peltor hands down
                  Howard Leight sucks

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    The War Wagon
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 10294

                    Originally posted by ENTHUSIAST
                    Peltor?



                    I'm partial to Peltor, only because I'm partial to their electronic muffs.
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      divingin
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2015
                      • 2522

                      Originally posted by ENTHUSIAST
                      I was looking for good quality passive ear muffs to wear over foam ear plugs what brand do you guys recommend?
                      I bought a set of Peltor/3M passive muffs from Home Depot for running my backpack leaf blower (not sure, but the Peltor Optime 105 looks like them.) I was surprised at how effective they were at attenuation. I've been nearly run over several times while blowing pine needles out of the street as I never heard the cars coming.

                      You can increase attenuation to a large degree in just about any set of muffs by grabbing a bag of cotton balls from your local drug store and stuffing half into each ear cup. Try and compress the cotton into any airspace while leaving room so your ears don't get squished (gets uncomfortable.)

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        maxicon
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 4661

                        My favorites for handguns are the Peltor Bullseye H10A, which have NRR29 rating and seal well over glasses frames. Looks like they've been replaced by the Optime 105 Earmuffs, which are slightly better at NRR30. Affordable, sturdy (I've had 3 pairs in use for over 10 years now), and effective.



                        They're bulky, though, like any high NRR muffs, and can interfere with the cheek weld when shooting rifles or shotguns.

                        I work around that because of how effective they are, but a pair of lower profile muffs with foam plugs may be just as good with less interference.
                        sigpic
                        NRA Life Member

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          madland
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2011
                          • 1292

                          Originally posted by madland
                          Check out Decibel Defense on Amazon. My son wears these while playing drums. $25 and they kick butt!!
                          Those are the ones.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Triple765
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2018
                            • 691

                            Gold Ears-Ultra Sleek passives are the most comfortable I've used. Headband leaves a bit to be desired, though, unless they updated that the past year or two. They also have gel cups which should up the comfort some more.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              igs
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2017
                              • 941

                              Pro For Sho 34dB Shooting Ear Protection - Special Designed Ear Muffs Lighter Weight & Maximum Hearing Protection

                              ATF Form 4473: If a frame or receiver can only be made into a long gun (rifle or shotgun), it is still a frame or receiver, not a handgun or long gun.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1