Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock guys, give me some advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FalconLair
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2012
    • 3989

    Glock guys, give me some advice

    so, in another thread i mentioned my purchasing a Glock 19 Gen5

    i've had it out to the range a few time, it has performed exceptionally well, which is nice because my plan was to make it my HD firearm, maybe even some occasional time as my CCW gun

    one problem i've found myself having over the last year is a really bad flare up of my arthritis, especially in my elbows, wrist and fingers - it's very unforgiving

    needless to say, it can sometimes compromise my slide racking - the strength in my arms is still there, just have to deal with the pain that comes with the action of racking - i saw this on YouTube and i was hoping this might offer some ease, won't solve the problem but it might make my racking just a bit less painful

    anyone have something like this or even something to suggest

    thx - Richard


    Originally posted by Barang
    I! hate! you! FalconLair.
    Originally posted by JagerDog
    I hate you FalconLair!
    Originally Posted by JTROKS
    I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
    Originally posted by gcvt
    They hate you FalconLair
    Originally posted by Greta
    HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair
  • #2
    diveRN
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 1743

    Rear sight on your belt?

    Last edited by diveRN; 10-19-2020, 3:47 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      tabascoz28
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2016
      • 3364

      If you don't unload and use the slide release you'll never have to rack the slide. Try adding grip tape to the front of the slide? Get metal sights, use the edge of belt or table? Only you know what motion is worse for your pain, look up some more slide racking techniques on youtube.

      Comment

      • #4
        SailorDan
        Member
        • May 2013
        • 150

        Not too pretty, but ...?
        The Slide Pull Charging Handle is designed to make it much easier to pull back the slide, perfect for older shooters, or those with weaker hand strength and/or medical conditions, available through GlockStore.com

        Comment

        • #5
          spddrcr
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2006
          • 1585

          I have real problems with my fingers and hands due to arthritis as well as muscular dystrophy. my fingers barely work sometimes.

          What I did for my match gun was put a small piece of grip tape right behind the front sight and on the sides in the same location. to rack I use the web of my hand between thumb and finger. It takes little to no effort and you dont have to even use your fingers.
          blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
          blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
          blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

          "wildhawker
          People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."

          Comment

          • #6
            Regular guy
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2011
            • 691

            They sell pull rings for the G43 back plates for folks struggling with racking, perhaps they make something similar for other models.

            Comment

            • #7
              BenzBen
              Member
              • Jul 2012
              • 248

              Get the slide milled for a red dot or an aftermarket slide with optic cut and use the red dot to rack the slide.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment

              • #8
                38Special
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2013
                • 1539

                Originally posted by FalconLair
                one problem i've found myself having over the last year is a really bad flare up of my arthritis, especially in my elbows, wrist and fingers - it's very unforgiving
                I have grip issues after a bad wrist break.
                What works for me is to grip the slide with my left hand, grip with your right hand as usual and push the gun away with the right hand.
                Use the right hand force instead of extra grip/pull with your left hand.
                Mrs 38Special
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  SCVlongstroke
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2018
                  • 725

                  I love Glocks but am not a big fan of their grip angle. I’m not sure if this plays into your situation or not. I have destroyed my wrist and elbow joints and take joint supplements that work extremely well. Look into some krill and fish oils, hyaloronic acid and MSM supplements, they’ve done wonders for me. Keep well hydrated but accordingly to the weather, too much and it’ll pass right through you.

                  Try gripping the slide and pushing the frame forward

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    38Special
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2013
                    • 1539

                    Originally posted by SCVlongstroke

                    Try gripping the slide and pushing the frame forward
                    Basically what I said........
                    Mrs 38Special
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Pofoo
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 1689

                      I think this will help you a lot.
                      I've looked for similar products for my wife's pistol, but there aren't any made for for it.
                      I don't think that using your belt or holster is a real good idea. There is always a chance you'll shoot your self. Keep the muzzle pointed away from your self.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Notpc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2016
                        • 3914

                        Originally posted by 38Special
                        I have grip issues after a bad wrist break.
                        What works for me is to grip the slide with my left hand, grip with your right hand as usual and push the gun away with the right hand.
                        Use the right hand force instead of extra grip/pull with your left hand.
                        ^^^This^^^
                        I have nerve damage in my right hand and employ the over hand grip (left hand), push through method also. I hold my G26 across my upper abdomen area, grip the top of my slide with my left hand and push through with my right. This motion gives me more leverage and less wrist pain. This is also the same movement I would use to clear a malfunction (never had one in my 26, but good to practice).
                        "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain..."
                        Roy Batty

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          FalconLair
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • 3989

                          Originally posted by SCVlongstroke
                          Try gripping the slide and pushing the frame forward
                          that's pretty much the way i do it, i try to distribute the resistance evenly with both hands - still, having to grip the slide with any amount of pressure on the fingers can be quite painful
                          Originally posted by Barang
                          I! hate! you! FalconLair.
                          Originally posted by JagerDog
                          I hate you FalconLair!
                          Originally Posted by JTROKS
                          I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
                          Originally posted by gcvt
                          They hate you FalconLair
                          Originally posted by Greta
                          HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            FNGGlock
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2020
                            • 1289

                            Glocks tend to loosen a bit after a few hundred rounds, making racking the slide easier. How do you grip the slide ? - thumb and point finger - or do you grip over the top with your palm and all 4 fingers - different angle on your wrist and easier to get a grip with less strain. This way your wrist also stays straight.

                            If you don't run +p loads in the G19 you can also look at running a lighter recoil spring, which will make racking easier. But you will have to test ammo and reliable function with this option.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              norcalAF
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 1654

                              The pushing both hands towards each method other described above works very well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1