Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Curious inquiry - Ballistics for Home Protection?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rodralig
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2016
    • 4262

    Curious inquiry - Ballistics for Home Protection?

    An inquisitive inquiry for those that are knowledgeable in ballistics...

    After watching this come up on my YouTube Recommendations:




    Unless I am misunderstanding some nuances/details in the video, I am now unsure of a good HD scenario setup in a single-family residence, single floor, sub-urban setting, etc. Something like this (random photo):




    Assuming JHP defense rounds - 9mm, 45ACP, .223 and 12-ga 00 - considering the WORST case scenario where there will be rounds that will miss, would the handgun rounds be the less risky of them?

    To emphasize, though - this is NOT a question/discourse on making sure you don't miss, that you need to train, etc. This is a simple and straightforward question that relates to ballistics (ammo selection), over penetration, and collateral damage.

    Thanks in advance!



    _
    Last edited by rodralig; 05-31-2020, 3:54 PM. Reason: Added clarity to statement on being 'unsure'

    WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U
  • #2
    plumbum
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2010
    • 5394

    I’m comfortable with my .38 specials, 9mm standard pressure and 00 buckshot decisions. Pretty sure I’d only bust out the Mosin when I know my neighbors are already zombies.

    I mean, just imagining lighting off a 5.56 inside a house, to where a miss would involve exiting my house, then entering another home and then finding a soft target would be unlikely. Even a Mag dump through the front window directly towards a neighbors house would still be multiple layer and barriers that would stop most projectiles.
    Last edited by plumbum; 05-31-2020, 3:57 PM.
    Originally posted by ysr_racer
    Please don't bring logic and reason into an interwebs discussion

    Comment

    • #3
      rodralig
      CGN Contributor
      • Apr 2016
      • 4262


      That is the concern I now have (after watching Harrell's video)...

      My house is built such that if the confrontation would happen in the kitchen/dining room or the living room, the only barrier would be the exterior wall. From the living room, it would be the main street with 4-lanes to the opposite house. From the kitchen/dining room, it will be the window, then the fence, then the exterior wall of the neighboring house.

      If the confrontation would happen in the master bedroom (chokepoint for the criminal) - I would have better luck that no overpenetration happens. A shot from my position in the bed to a criminal in the hallway would even avoid the kids' room; while encountering many 'barries/walls.'

      Thinking about this (I hope I am NOT over analyzing it, though) - my best bet would be to stick with handgun defense rounds. Unless of course, the neighbors have been infected with the T-virus, er, W-virus.



      _

      WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

      Comment

      • #4
        skyline
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 500

        I plan on starting my you tube channel to do a penetratacion test but with real world materials
        Must videos i see use dry wall and some 2x4
        But none that I have seen have stucco chicken wire and the distance between houses i hope i can do a little more realistic

        Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

        Comment

        • #5
          rodralig
          CGN Contributor
          • Apr 2016
          • 4262

          Originally posted by skyline
          I plan on starting my you tube channel to do a penetratacion test but with real world materials
          Must videos i see use dry wall and some 2x4
          But none that I have seen have stucco chicken wire and the distance between houses i hope i can do a little more realistic
          Interested to see the results of more real world testing...


          _

          WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

          Comment

          • #6
            plumbum
            Calguns Addict
            • May 2010
            • 5394

            Not to mention all the cars parked in the street and in driveways - couple of windows and some drywall will take the oomph out of nearly anything handheld... then of course, all the damn palm trees!
            Originally posted by ysr_racer
            Please don't bring logic and reason into an interwebs discussion

            Comment

            • #7
              -hanko
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Jul 2002
              • 14174

              Has anyone ever seen or heard of a case where a home shooting resulted harming another person in the house by the bullet passing through a wall...or harming a neighbor?
              True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

              Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

              Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

              A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

              Comment

              • #8
                Thoughts
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2014
                • 523

                Originally posted by rodralig
                Assuming JHP defense rounds - 9mm, 45ACP, .223 and 12-ga 00 - considering the WORST case scenario where there will be rounds that will miss, would the handgun rounds be the less risky of them?
                Any ammunition that will stop a person will over-penetrate in some circumstances, basically speaking. An appropriate .223 choice will be less of a problem than those pistol rounds or than 12-gauge, according to at least one study. I think it was a Massachusetts LE agency published the one that I read.

                Comment

                • #9
                  CWL
                  Senior Member
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 1488

                  If any of y'all want to see what various types of ammo does to typical household material like drywall, take a look at www.theboxotruth.com

                  Look at the section labelled "original chapters".

                  FWIW, 5.56 is a lot less likely to overpenetrate than 00 buck.
                  Vae Victis

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    rodralig
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Apr 2016
                    • 4262

                    Originally posted by -hanko
                    Has anyone ever seen or heard of a case where a home shooting resulted harming another person in the house by the bullet passing through a wall...or harming a neighbor?
                    I have not... But like I said, Harrell's video got me thinking.

                    My accessible home defense setup are handguns. I have defense rounds for a shotgun and a carbine, but they need time to be deployed (in the safe, and loaded magazines appropriately marked "RED").



                    Originally posted by Thoughts
                    Any ammunition that will stop a person will over-penetrate in some circumstances, basically speaking. An appropriate .223 choice will be less of a problem than those pistol rounds or than 12-gauge, according to at least one study. I think it was a Massachusetts LE agency published the one that I read.
                    I have been read some an article that the .223 is the better choice, especially on a carbine. The argument goes - more stopping power to neutralize a threat, easier to aim with a carbine, can be used as an impact weapon, etc.

                    I would be interested in reading other works on home defense ballistics.



                    Originally posted by CWL
                    If any of y'all want to see what various types of ammo does to typical household material like drywall, take a look at www.theboxotruth.com

                    Look at the section labelled "original chapters".

                    FWIW, 5.56 is a lot less likely to overpenetrate than 00 buck.
                    Thanks for the reference. I will take a look.



                    _

                    WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Imageview
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2018
                      • 1629

                      I live in a townhome that doesn't seem to have been insulated, and so even #4 buckshot would make me concerned. I'm personally ok with birdshot (#2) at sub 20ft distances that would be likely.

                      Basically the odds of ever having to use a firearm in your home are pretty low. The odds that you'd hit something unintentionally are lower still. I'd think about it but not worry about it.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        rlewpolar
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2014
                        • 1447

                        Last edited by rlewpolar; 06-01-2020, 12:14 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          hunterb
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 3796

                          Hornaday TAP rounds in .223 or other frangible type ammo.
                          Originally posted by johnthomas
                          ...The hardest part getting rid of crap is getting started.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bigmike82
                            Bit Pusher
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 3876

                            There's a great youtube series called the Box o Truth.

                            Check it out for all your home penetration questions.
                            -- 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Pofoo
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 1689

                              Originally posted by plumbum
                              I mean, just imagining lighting off a 5.56 inside a house, to where a miss would involve exiting my house, then entering another home and then finding a soft target would be unlikely. Even a Mag dump through the front window directly towards a neighbors house would still be multiple layer and barriers that would stop most projectiles.
                              Nope. There are many stories where even pistol bullets will go through a wall or walls and kill people. Think drive by's.
                              Your front window is not as tough as a windshield, and 5.56's go through these with ease.
                              Pistol or buckshot is the preferred.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1