Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Was I sold a used gun?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FluorideInMyWater
    Senior Member
    • May 2006
    • 1840

    Was I sold a used gun?

    I picked up a "new" HK that I had transferred from an online vendor. I noticed what i thought was a finger print, but the lighting wasn't great. I did a quick check over and went home.

    I opened it on my dining room table under heavy light and was shocked at what i found...lubricant everywhere all over the slide, inside the breech and splatter on the walls and outside the breech on the top of the gun. The magazine has more scratches than i would expect plus lubricant; some marks that to me looks like from ammo being loaded into it, and lubricant all over the slide, inside from front to back, and outside. the the recoil spring assembly is rusty. I just looks like someone doused the gun in lubricant, my thought being to clean the evidence of it being fired after it left HK. I can't imagine HK would let a gun that looked like this leave the factory.

    here are pics. tell me what you think, because i really don't know and don't want to accuse the vendor of misrepresentation.

    thanks in advance for your help!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by FluorideInMyWater; 06-23-2022, 1:43 PM.
    No longer FluorideInMyWater. (California)
    now the infamous "CalciumDepositsInMyWater" (Cancun)
  • #2
    FluorideInMyWater
    Senior Member
    • May 2006
    • 1840

    more fotos

    more

    i maxed out. the rest just show lubricant all over the outside of the slide.
    Last edited by FluorideInMyWater; 06-23-2022, 1:43 PM.
    No longer FluorideInMyWater. (California)
    now the infamous "CalciumDepositsInMyWater" (Cancun)

    Comment

    • #3
      Duck Killer
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 2506

      Thats not new.

      Comment

      • #4
        Mystery_Milk
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2017
        • 541

        It's not unusual for a gun to be greased for storage and shipping. The finger marks in the grease could very well be from the shipping and receiving FFLs making sure the gun was empty when they shipped or received it.

        The only things unusual are the rusty guide rod and magazine. The guide rod could easily be from just being stored in a place that wasn't dry enough, which is still not good. The marks on the magazine are hard to explain though.

        You could call HK up and ask for the date of manufacture and check how recent it is. I'm sure they'd also take care of the guide rod. If this was a used gun, I'm sure they'd also appreciate to know who's passing off their used guns as new.
        Last edited by Mystery_Milk; 01-05-2020, 5:32 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          ZX9ALLDAY
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2017
          • 599

          Gun stores usually get guns from their warehouses, warehouses get them from distributors, distributors get then from manufacturers. Guns get finger blasted by people all the time once they leave the factory. Who knows how many people touched your gun before you took it home. I can guarantee you this happens at every gun store. You just paid more attention than most.

          Comment

          • #6
            Duck Killer
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2010
            • 2506

            The mag scratches can be from the switching of a high cap mag for a used 10 rounder.

            Comment

            • #7
              wolfmann
              Member
              • Mar 2007
              • 466

              Looks like a gun that has been in long term storage,the wrong lube can do that to a finish.

              Comment

              • #8
                Barang
                CGN Contributor
                • Aug 2013
                • 13409

                i don't remember buying a new gun with magazine looking like that. but the prints on the gun could have been by receiving ffl for checking and verifying it.
                Last edited by Barang; 01-05-2020, 5:46 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Yodaman
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • 2749

                  Originally posted by wolfmann
                  Looks like a gun that has been in long term storage,the wrong lube can do that to a finish.


                  I would agree with this. Plus what you can see if the feed ramp looks good and not worn.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    pistolero805
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • 944

                    Doesn't look too bad. Some magazines have almost like a painted finish that is easily scraped off. Could have been an overzealous employee doing mag changes in his best John Wick impersonation.

                    The brass markings on the follower are most likely from test firing. I worked at a gun store for several years and you wouldn't believe how some guns came from distributors. Some scratched, some rusty, and some with sights that looked like they were put on by crazy eyes from Mr. Deeds. That should have been sent back by the dealer.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Endless
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2010
                      • 1881

                      Looks normal for a firearm that has sat for awhile on the shelf. A couple of mine looked similar. They had been in stock for a year or more.

                      But a HK USP for $375 and looking like this with warranty I didn’t care. That’s just me.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        pancakes go
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2019
                        • 161

                        date code is on slide as BK. A: 0, B: 1, C: 2 etc.
                        gun was made in 2019 so it couldn’t have been in storage too long.
                        what does the barrel/bore look like? any marks on the hood or inside the slide?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Pretty fly for a Cabinetguy
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Feb 2016
                          • 4388

                          I assume that gun has been fired at the factory...the rust is interesting.

                          Strip it , lube, shoot, lube, shoot some more...

                          My Wilson came with a target and the name of who shot the hole in it at Wilson!
                          Wilson Protector .45, Springer 9mm Loaded, Franchi Instinct SL .12ga. and some other cool stuff for the kiddos...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            M1NM
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 7966

                            What does the face of the breech around the firing pin look like? That gets marked easily with recoil.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SloChicken
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 4533

                              this should explain the issue comprehensively.

                              sigpic

                              Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
                              To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1